Project:OPTIMUM SHORT CIRCUIT PROTECTION IN MOSFET AMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

peranders said:
amp_man, if you talk about VA rating it is assumed that it is contiuous operation if you don't mention the duty cycle but I'll guess this is marketing. I don't know the normal fuse rating you have but if it's 10 A it's rather silly to have a 3 kVA @ 10 A especially if you want to earn money.

Hi,
Sorry for not mentioning duty cycle. the normal fuse rating is 15amperes ofcourse.
regards,
kanwar

Upupa Epops said:
I have on table 800 VA toroid. Diameter is 160 mm, heigh is 75 mm. It is the same size which I see on photo. Magnetic flux density have this trafo 1.6 T - have you any miracle core material ?

the core material greatly effects MF.
like wise , i think your trafo must be using Grade F silicon impregnated core as you describe it as 1.6 T,
meanwhile we use Grade S Smirfed silicon colled rolled steel core with flux density of 2.2Teslas.
whereas bryston amps use a far superior very costly Grade M core.

hope this helps.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
janneman said:
[snip]Q: How long does it take an Indian engineer to take a picture and put it on the web?[snip]Jan Didden

All:
I have been told that my above post was seen by some as denigrating for Indian engineers. In hindsight, I can understand that it can be interpreted that way, but this was not my intent. Posters who know me know that I NEVER intentionally attack anyone personally.
I was solely referring to the actions of the poster I was reacting to.

I hereby want to make clear that I have a very high regard for Indian engineers, of which I know several personally. Furthermore, I enjoyed my visit last year to India, and appreciated and respected their friendliness, ambition and drive.

So, if I have unknowingly insulted anyone with this post, I honestly apologize for that.

Jan Didden

janneman said:

All:
I have been told that my above post was seen by some as denigrating for Indian engineers. In hindsight, I can understand that it can be interpreted that way, but this was not my intent. Posters who know me know that I NEVER intentionally attack anyone personally.
I was solely referring to the actions of the poster I was reacting to.

I hereby want to make clear that I have a very high regard for Indian engineers, of which I know several personally. Furthermore, I enjoyed my visit last year to India, and appreciated and respected their friendliness, ambition and drive.

So, if I have unknowingly insulted anyone with this post, I honestly apologize for that.

Jan Didden

Hi Jan-Didden,

I think its not your fault , you simply react the way you think or intended to think from your understanding of things.
I think it would be better for you to understand the things more evenly and you must follow a broad-minded criteria before making comments on others.
I am really sorry If I had ever hurt your dignity.
At last I really appriciate your comments.
Nice way and take it easy.
regards,
kanwar

Hi Jan,
We have never said anything untrue about our products.
Secondly regarding 75mA biasing, its not untrue nor its a mystery, its a simple thing done with effective biasing network along with the help of positive temp. coefficient of mosfets.

regards,
kanwar

The first post: What was the question or where did this lead to? I don't know.
We want to propose a new idea of protection which includes :

1 Sensing the gate to source voltage overdrive during overcurrent conditions, then limit the gate drive or if necessity arises even mutes/limits the input which also avoid harsh clip conditions.

2. A comparator scheme which involves:Sensing the input voltage at the input of amp, sensing the corresponding voltage at output of amp. If the input voltage is present and output voltage is not present, which clearly indicates the conditions of short-circuited output, the the comparator latches or activates the mute circuitry, thus protects the amp.
Sometimes things are hard to understand. Mr Amp_man started this thread becasue I'll believe he wanted some design help but was was the trouble in the first place and what did he want. I got the impression the it was no room for a instant short circuit protection, like it is normally done.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Reply

Workhorse said:
Hi Jan,
We have never said anything untrue about our products.
Secondly regarding 75mA biasing, its not untrue nor its a mystery, its a simple thing done with effective biasing network along with the help of positive temp. coefficient of mosfets.

regards,
kanwar

Yeah. I don't think you would give some circuit details? How to set the 75mA, are there any matching requirements, if so what, which protection did you use? Are you sure this amp in the picture is working or just a cosmetic mock-up?

Care to post the spec sheet so we can see the inconsistencies in THAT?

Jan Didden

Joined 2003
Paid Member
They only way we will ever know if the given specs will meet real life figures is buying that amplifier and measure for ourselves. All else is speculation. Many manufactures give overrated specifications to boost their sales. So there is no point in pushing given topic in that direction.
I’m closing this thread for now, partly because this discussion is no more on topic and mainly to avoid unnecessary conflicts.

/Hugo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.