• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

power supply problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is the volume control i was using. i just did what i thought might be correct.

the cables are new, the problem is probably in my set up here.

now im thinking it's the sacd player. it's a refurbished model from sony i got off of ebay. one disc was popping but it was on the track when i backed it up.

bizarre

Chop, you need a good little mixer board. Cut and paste this for an eBay search. Just an example. They are good and quiet if you get one that wasn't destroyed by a DJ wannabe.

RadioShack 32-3005 SSM-50 2-Channel Stereo Audio Mixer

2 magnetic phono ins and 2 cd/line ins.

Late Ooops, nevermind, I see you said you have a preamp.

Last edited:
Chop, you need a good little mixer board. Cut and paste this for an eBay search. Just an example. They are good and quiet if you get one that wasn't destroyed by a DJ wannabe.

RadioShack 32-3005 SSM-50 2-Channel Stereo Audio Mixer

2 magnetic phono ins and 2 cd/line ins.

RadioShack 32-3005 SSM-50 2-Channel Stereo Audio Mixer. 1/4" mic input with volume control and talkover function. 10-inch rack mount capable. Slide-action channel faders. Cross fader. Cue with level control. Bass and treble tone controls. Power-on indicator. Master volume control. RCA phono jack inputs and outputs. Headphone jack. Ground screw terminal. Special Feature ... Emblazoned with the highly respected, prestigious and world famous "RadioShack" logo. Manufactured October 2003. This is a new boxed item that had been sitting on the shelf of our family-owned store.

why wont the volume control just work. what is wrong with that volume control i got going on there.

does this thing have a phono preamp in it? lol. something else to buy. i dont really want to buy anything else why wont this volume control work. i have a tube preamp set up that im going to convert into a phonopreamp as a later on type o' project.

looks like a cool unit though, maybe ill get some orange slacks and a purple polka dotted shirt with wide green lapels and a paisley hat and start my own dj service

Did you catch my Ooops?

If you do, I GUARANTEE that the music you choose will be better. Your tubes wil sound more musical. And your dog will stop rubbing his *** on the carpet.

no missed that oops. by the way do you have a good phone preamp schematic using 6922s?

there are a few on the web one by RJM audio that looks good uses 6dj8s. do you have any exp. building these?

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Your octopus looks fine, you will have to ground also the pot's metal part. I assume the input and output RCA sockets are isolated from the chassis, that is, if you're using a metal chassis.
But first thing to do is to find out if the problem comes from the sacd player. Plug it into your low power amp if there's still popping sounds your volume pot is fine. BTW, a good tube preamp would be a better way to drive your amp, even if you don't need the gain.

Your octopus looks fine, you will have to ground also the pot's metal part. I assume the input and output RCA sockets are isolated from the chassis, that is, if you're using a metal chassis.
But first thing to do is to find out if the problem comes from the sacd player. Plug it into your low power amp if there's still popping sounds your volume pot is fine. BTW, a good tube preamp would be a better way to drive your amp, even if you don't need the gain.

im pretty sure the problem isnt with the sacd player. it is strange everywhere now i seem to hear that popping sound like im totaly over sensitive to it. a few tracks on one disc make that sound but it is a new disc and i back up the track and it is in the recording.

one member said that he wouldnt bother with a preamp at all.

so it is still better to drive the amp with a preamp even if it is not for gain? is this for more current?

thanks

I think Arnulf said that and he was right. Guess he figured you had a volume control on your cd or scdc player. Well, change the volume pot and see what happens. It sounds to me like a bad connection somewhere. Do you hear the same noise on both channels?

THANKS A LOT!#1

you solved the problem. the pot housing needed to be grounded too.

thanks.

so should i turn that bad preamp circuit box into a phonopreamp or a regular preamp.

it has four tube sockets and i only need two for the preamp and two for a phonopreamp and the transformer is pretty beefy so maybe i could turn one unit into two. is this a good idea?

a phonopreamp would still run into a line preamp right?

You're welcome, glad I was able to help you fixing the problem.

Yes, it is possible. I suggest you start another thread asking for a suitable schematic. I don't have one so I can't help you there.

i guess i spoke too soon.

the cd player and the volume control into a ss amp = no noise

the cd player and the volume control into the st70 = noise

the mp3 player into the st70 = no noise

how can this be?

it took a while for the sound to come back, it may be less now but still present. will have to listen to it more.

thanks

i guess i spoke too soon.

the cd player and the volume control into a ss amp = no noise

the cd player and the volume control into the st70 = noise

the mp3 player into the st70 = no noise

how can this be?

it took a while for the sound to come back, it may be less now but still present. will have to listen to it more.
(1) Is the cable for your MP3 to ST-70 connection a stereo mini-plug cable plugged into an RCA cable adapter, or perhaps a single cable mini-plug to RCA stereo cable?

(2) For your CD cable to Volume pot connections, did you solder the RCA cables to the pot or are you using alligator jumper clips in and out of the pot?

Last edited:
(1) Is the cable for your MP3 to ST-70 connection a stereo mini-plug cable plugged into an RCA cable adapter, or perhaps a single cable mini-plug to RCA stereo cable?

(2) For your CD cable to Volume pot connections, did you solder the RCA cables to the pot or are you using alligator jumper clips in and out of the pot?

they are soldered in and im running a mini plug into an rca stereo cable

they are soldered in and im running a mini plug into an rca stereo cable

If your cable/pot rig is the "noise source" then you have to compare it with the other cable that has a complete ground/shield from end to end. You break the shield on your pot rig. Perhps you are getting intermittant static electricity pops as it is moved or touched as you adjust it by hand. If the ST-70 is the noise source, you should be able to generate some noise by introducing a physical shock or vibration to the amp without a line in signal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.