• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power supply options for tube amplifiers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When discussing live chassis equipment, it's better to say things in a blunt way.

In fact, discussing such stuff (except to STRONGLY discourage the practice) is FORBIDDEN by Forum rules.

CAPS are used to help convey the message.

And considering the thread subject, it must be clearly stated that A LIVE CHASSIS IS NOT AN "OPTION".

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I wasn't talking about a live chassis. There are other ways of getting 400 volts across your chest. Think about it, this is tube DIY, you may scare some people to death.

Yes, safety first but remember this: if something really bad happens you still have a chance of surviving...don't give up tubes just yet.:)

I wasn't talking about a live chassis.
What are YOU talking about?
The last 14 (fourteen) posts here have been a discussion about
just a question and for others to know...what is the danger using isolated 230vac against direct mains..or rectified 230Vdc? they are of same potential and risky,why need to isolate?
Now you drop out of the blue and want to argue by switching the topic. :confused:
Oh well :rolleyes:

When servicing electrical equipment of any kind, one should know to discharge any dangerous voltages inside. If servicing a powered equipment, one should work with extreme caution. Anyone who doesn't understand this, or why isolation is important, has no right working with electronics.

When a chassis is in use, it should pose no threat to the user or anyone or anything that may come into contact with it. High voltages should be isolated from the chassis and contained within the enclosure or otherwise protected from the user. Without isolation, the chassis can pose a threat by simply being plugged in. Why tempt fate? Use a proper, fused, power transformer (or other isolated power source) and proper grounding techniques.

Last edited:
Ok, let's sugarcoat it:

Touching a live chassis, you might be "slightly" dead.

Makes me remember the old Jewish joke about the matchmaker who suggests a bride to Schloimele:
"Rebecca is a beautiful girl, intelligent, good humored, knows everything about house keeping, comes from a good Family ...... only small problem is that she is *slightly* pregnant" :joker: :joker: :joker:

Ha!

As a youth I used to salvage old TV sets for parts (mid 1960s).

One evening I was working on a recently acquired set (old two prong power cord) and decided enough trying to get it to work, time to pull parts. So, I reached up to the power strip and pulled the power cord, and waited a few minutes for everything to discharge.

Several mistakes later with one hand on the chassis and a set of dykes in hand I proceeded to cut components loose.

Next thing I knew I was all the way across the garage on my butt.

I pulled the wrong power cord.

Live chassis are no laughing matter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
"Rebecca is a beautiful girl, intelligent, good humored, knows everything about house keeping, comes from a good Family ...... only small problem is that she is *slightly* pregnant"

Or when someone offered Cantinflas a possible wife saying she does many good things only she's a little limp to what Cantinflas replied: It's OK I don't want her for racing.:D

Yes, yes, everybody agrees on that lazzer. It's just the way of talking in extremes that bothers me. You die, you live and all that.

That what exactly are we (you) discussing? Life or death? Has the thread gone philosophical? Perhaps plaid?

LOVE IT! :cheerful:

Last edited:
Ok, let's sugarcoat it:

Makes me remember the old Jewish joke about the matchmaker who suggests a bride to Schloimele:
"Rebecca is a beautiful girl, intelligent, good humored, knows everything about house keeping, comes from a good Family ...... only small problem is that she is *slightly* pregnant" :joker: :joker: :joker:
i cannot decide what is worse, if 230~ or 450= between fingers.
decisions,decisions...
nah, i´ll take the 230~:D

i´m not counting hipot pc regulated supplies at work, 5kV 600W :eek::joker:

In theory no, if AC makes yo rmuscles spasm in contraction. The short time around zero-crossing is less than your reaction time. In early days of electicity distribution Edison promoting DC and Westinghouse promoting AC, Edison did demonstartions of electrocutions via evil AC. He recommended AC electocutions, the origins of the electric chair. DC pretty cooks you by your own resistance. Of course at high voltage either destroys your nervous system and then enough current will then cook you also.

In theory no, if AC makes yo rmuscles spasm in contraction. The short time around zero-crossing is less than your reaction time. In early days of electicity distribution Edison promoting DC and Westinghouse promoting AC, Edison did demonstartions of electrocutions via evil AC. He recommended AC electocutions, the origins of the electric chair. DC pretty cooks you by your own resistance. Of course at high voltage either destroys your nervous system and then enough current will then cook you also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.