• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Potential EUVL F5X designed case user distribution check

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As long as the connectors/switches are easily obtainable (or provided with the case GB), my vote is for everything pre-drilled. I really try to avoid doing my own drilling especially on the front and back panels, since all I have is a hand drill. I like the Neutrik XLR's, and I would probably prefer an IEC socket if there is the room (though I am fine with the Powercon too).

A few questions to those who ordered Option 2.
Please agree on one answer for us to implement for all 24 cases on Option 2.

1. Hardware power on/off switch - yes/no?

Suggest Digikey # 679-1246-ND.
But we can also just provide a pilot hole 1.5mm for maximum flexibility.
Suggest to be placed to the immediate right of the PowerCon connectors.

yes. The APEM switch (link to Digikey # 679-1246-ND inserted) looks pretty sturdy.

2. Spkr protection relay - What model?

Suggest 50A 12V standard automotive relay, similar to :
FRC2 C 12 - 50A Hochstromrelais FRC2 12V, 1 Wechsler - Miniaturrelais Omron bei Reichelt Elektronik
Alright, gets my vote.

> 3. Fuse holder for mains Tx and AUX Tx. Which type?

Suggest we drill pilot hole 1.5mm and allow for 13mm panel opening size.
Can also pre-drill 13mm.

type: yet undecided. Predrill. I trying to avoid much metal work on this case due to the lack of appropriate tools. This was the main reason for buying it.

4. Main connector ?

Suggest Neutrik PowerCon, or 16 or 20mm strain relief from Lapp Cable (e.g. Buerklin 16H2852) :
https://www.buerklin.com/

The PowerCon gets my vote; although I won't be dissappointed very much if an IEC socket will be installed

5. Spkr terminal -10mm hole or 1.5mm pilot drill ?
Predrill holes.
6. Neutrik XLR input connector for input ?

Suggest Neutrik NC3FAAV2 :
NEUTRIK|NC3FAAV2|SOCKET, XLR, PCB, VERTICAL, 3POLE | Farnell Deutschland
Perfect.
7. Max. size for aux power t'former :

15VA, 60 dia x 30H max.
(Mine was from DK, but they seem to be discontinued.)
The question isn't entirely clear to me.
8. M4 earthing bolt on LHS of PowerCon ?
Yes, please.
Be nice to each other while coming to an agreement.... ;)

Patrick
Done. Being nice to others was fairly easy in this case. Generally, I support the notion of others that these additional parts might be added to the case against cost.

I have another question: The picture in post #217 of the main thread shows PCBs sitting on the regulator heat sinks. The text in post #217 says:
The heat sinks will get re-anodised (to all black).

But the original BOM in post #62 of this thread mentions only inclusion of support material for these internal sinks and not the sinks themselves.

Are these sinks (Fischer SK 88-125, if I identified them correctly) included in the case or not?

Last edited:
The Schurter unit to replace 1,3,4 will fit the space available, just (in height). Please decide amongst yourselves for the rest. I will check your proposals for feasibility. Also please try to organise GB for these parts together with components you need for the amp, etc. I know it is easiest for you if we ship a complete kit in one. That means unfortunately maximum work and time required for us. And time is what Mark Lai and I do not have. It is already consuming a lot of time for both of us. I am sure you would not want us to charge you 100 Euros per hour for the "trouble".

I therefore beg for your understanding.

Patrick

You need to confirm a transformer choice so that I know what mounting hole size to drill.
Maybe you want to use a PCB transformer and then made one PCB for the AUX PSU.
(7812, 7912 TO220 + diodes + caps)
Max footprint 90x98mm, max height from mounting surface 32mm.

Mark found a local source for some cheap sinks with the right size.
If we can buy 50 of those, you get them at cost + machining + anodising.

We will not supply SK88 -- too expensive, too heavy to ship from DE to HK then to you.
So if we could not supply, please source locally.

Patrick

Last edited:
> Can I ask the output voltage of the 15 VA transformer ?

The AUX PSU is for powering the protection circuit and the relays.
It requires +/-12V regulated.

In the prototype, I used a toroid bought from DK (no longer available), 15VA 2x12Vac secondaries.
After rectification, still sufficient headroom for 7812 / 7912.

Patrick

I am not registered with Google and don't intend to do so.

Could somebody possessing a Google account please set up a Google spreadsheet listing and summarizing the different options available? Thanks in advance!

I believe it would be easier to monitor the progress of the individual decisions this way rather than scrolling up and down this thread.

I will set up a wiki page dedicated to all the upcoming "potential" groupbuys in the next few days.

I was always able to edit the Google spreadsheets in this forum without an account. It worked. Presumably, the creator of the page made it "world writable".

I am aware that Google is foremost a data collection engine, and I'm trying to avoid it and use anonymizing alternatives such as Scroogle (follow the "Scroogle scraper link" for your searches if you want to try "Scroogle").

Last edited:
The Schurter unit to replace 1,3,4 will fit the space available, just (in height). Please decide amongst yourselves for the rest. I will check your proposals for feasibility. Also please try to organise GB for these parts together with components you need for the amp, etc. I know it is easiest for you if we ship a complete kit in one. That means unfortunately maximum work and time required for us. And time is what Mark Lai and I do not have. It is already consuming a lot of time for both of us. I am sure you would not want us to charge you 100 Euros per hour for the "trouble".

I therefore beg for your understanding.

Patrick

Mouser sells the same Schurter IEC module for significantly less that Farnell. If we were to group buy (25) of them, they run about $19 each (link). The Schurter unit does look like a nice solution for the F5X.

I suggest one of you make a default list of all components, and see how many will vote for them (individually).
When you have all 25 votes, then it is done deal.
If not, you'll have to see whether a majority vote (say 15) will be acceptable to all.

Otherwise only discussions and no real progress.

Patrick

The one at the front is a push button which will toggle the control and protection board between 3 states :

off (caps after rectifier energised),
standby (regulator and amplifier energies),
operate (input and output connected)

The control & protection board is otherwise on all times.

The switch at the back is there to de-energise everything.

This is what I have in my own amps.
If you wish to do without collectively, just let me know.

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.