Plh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I gave the CCS a shot...
Would something like this work?
(Bias current 1.4A, DF=4.3, Bias current through Q1 (Nelsons schematic) = 21mA)

Any feedback much appreciated!
/Niclas

Attachments

• plh_ccs1.gif
    plh_ccs1.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,627
Thanks for the comments Johannes!

I thought about removal of the bootstrap and its resistors, but this left me with no option of altering the gain ratio of the power MOSFETs (as per Nelsons article). Also, some resistance is necessary above Q1 in order to bring the quintesent voltage at the output to something approching 21V (42V rail in my case). Do you have any other solution to how this can be done?

Seeing as how we live in the same city... How about you build a JFET version and we can compare results?!

Hälsningar,
Niclas

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
stappvargen said:
I thought about removal of the bootstrap and its resistors, but this left me with no option of altering the gain ratio of the power MOSFETs

You can simply connect the Drain of Q1 to the output through
the capacitor and a potentiometer (or fixed resistor).

There is only one drawback to the CCS on this circuit without
a bootstrap, and that is that the bootstrap can be made to
swing beyond the rail, driving the + transistor to saturation.
In this way you can typically pick 6 volts or so of swing.

It's not trivial to use the CCS and bootstrap together, because
your typical CCS will distort when the bootstrap drives it to within
a volt or two of the positive rail.

:cool:

I'm not sure which 2W version you're referring to. I scanned back a couple of pages and didn't see a schematic. With that disclaimer in place, I'm assuming that you're using a small signal JFET of some sort. If that assumption is true, then it's possible that you've bumped into the Idss limit for that particular piece.
By all means, parallel JFETs will work nicely funneling through the same cascode. See the front end of the Ono for an example, albeit with a smaller cascode device than the '610.

Grey

Circlomanen said:
A real cute version would be using 20 volt supplies, a J-fet (2 SK 170 V) as Q1 and IRF510 as Q2 and Q3. One ampere as steady current.
Perfect to use as a treble amp in a bi amp situation or to drive Lowthers, compression drivers and such.

Johannes.
This is all I wrote about it. No posted scematic.
I didnt try cascoding on this one since the voltage is so low.

Its basicly a scaled down PHL but with a J-fet as Q1, and CCS instead of the bootstraping arrangement Mr Pass uses.

I will modify the CCS and change some resistor values to better suit the low voltage today and see if i can get som music out of it.

Johannes.

You can simply connect the Drain of Q1 to the output through
the capacitor and a potentiometer (or fixed resistor).

There is only one drawback to the CCS on this circuit without
a bootstrap, and that is that the bootstrap can be made to
swing beyond the rail, driving the + transistor to saturation.
In this way you can typically pick 6 volts or so of swing.

It's not trivial to use the CCS and bootstrap together, because
your typical CCS will distort when the bootstrap drives it to within
a volt or two of the positive rail.

Thanks Nelson, I'll try the cap and pot!
/Niclas

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
djk said:
This high voltage, high power, depletion mode FET may be of some interest. Interesting transfer curve below 100mA. Available at low cost from Mouser.

http://www.supertex.com/pdf/datasheets/DN2540.pdf

Indeed it does. Unfortunately, you'll need to pile them up if
you want to use them in an output stage, but they might make
an excellent PLH driver.

Reactions: 1 user
PLH with bipolar tr

hi Nelson and all,

I am half way modifying my Mcintosh C-28 head phone amplifier to drive Altec 755A. With all capacitors replace esp the input cap using the Russian green PIO, removing the regulated power supply to have a B+ of 17V etc, the sound is decent, though I still prefer my ECC803S-2A3C amp.
The circuit is PNP input driving a darlington NPN with an NPN TO220 output. DIagram attached.
Is it possible to have the PLH in bipolar equivelent? perhaps with less then 1A bias and a PS of 17V. My speakers could play v loud as it is with the mere 3 W or so and I need to run it cool as in the morning my room is quite hot with Singaporean sun shine...!

Tks and best rgds

William Lee
:eek:

Attachments

• c28 hphone amp 1.jpg
    c28 hphone amp 1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,528
C 28 regulated PS

The Mac C 28 P transformer is robust and could supply lots of power... I might eventually add the 12V secondary for the head phone amp with the 6.3V secondary for the lamp to get bigger output, but of course I need to use TO 3 bipolar such as MJ 15003 with heat sink.... I suspect the 13.5V winding is good for 5 A though only rated for 2A, while the 6.3 V is rated for 4.5A but definately more, as after long use the PT is barely warm...

Best rgds

William Lee

Attachments

• c28 ps1.jpg
    c28 ps1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,453
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.