Playstation as CD-player

I own both the Model SCPH-1001 and Model SCPH-5501. For anyone wanting to use the AV Multi Out connector, a pretty decent compatible AV cable is the Monster Cable GameLink 200 or Monster Cable GameLink 300.

http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/ps2_cables.asp

It's nicely shielded, uses OFC conductors, has a good foamed Polyethylene dielectric insulation and a snug-fitting 12-pin Gold-plated AV Multi Out connector. I bought mine used for $5.00 from a video game store. I still have to shorten the length from the original 12 ft. length and solder some better RCA connectors on the amplifier end, but the results so far with the cable "as-is" are very good and almost comparable to using higher end RCA interconnect cables with my unmodified Model SCPH-1001. With the cable mods, I expect further improvements. Remember, Model SCPH-550X uses an improved laser assembly over Model SCPH-100X and the laser assembly is positioned further away from the power supply to minimize problems with heat and RF noise from the SMPS.

Here is a picture of the DIYUMAS which are a RollerBlock clone..at least the conceptual idea!!

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/galleryimage.php/albur25/LDR_0653.sized.jpg

Nothing more than a Copper End Cup filled with fine sand and topped with Concave Door Knob via Epoxy. Like a good icecream, with a round cherry, tp the Diyumas with a Ball Bearing and you are done. Three units under your equipent will do wonders to your system.

Here are the impressions of an inmate after using his own version of the roller blocks..

"Just put some DIY roller blocks under my NAD 512 that is used as a transport. Before this I was looking for a new transport, now I am just looking for more time to listen. Lots of detail and more bass and more treble and very smooth sound. This is one great tweak for my cheap CD."
Jimmy

This is from PhilC from audiocircles..

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=15366.0

"I'd like to thank everyone who brought gear for doing so, Jose Garcia for sending those DIYumas (they were excellent! very noticeable improvement when we put them under the modded Toshiba 3960"

The RollerPlatform is as good and cool :cool: It's securer though for those with rumble concerns...:xeye:

Jose.

The low level buzz I was having turned out to be an A/V connector issue. I swapped out the A/V connector with the original one from my PS2 and the buzz was basically gone, err much lower in level almost imperceptible except if I pin my amp and listen for it. I guess it is a weak point in the A/V out but anyways its almost imperceptible especially when playing a CD given the noise of dither etc. I decided that I might as well cut the stock left/right RCA's and solder on better cables. This time I decided to do it better than buying just slightly better than freebie stuff that I did last week on the old A/V connector.

I picked up a couple of gold plated RCA connectors, dug out a length of RG-6 coax (BTW a very good cable to use for any audio) cut it to 6ft. lengths and soldered it to my A/V connector snipped a few inches behind the plug in and put on the gold plated terminators. The sound of the PlayStation is even better than in my review told here earlier. The bass was improved being slightly deeper than before and I noticed a sense of more air around the mids and a bit more depth in sound stage.

This is without a doubt a great journey into CD's. I mean I am struggling to justify my D-300SE which is a killer under $500 CD player because I like the way my PlayStation sounds now. I mean I am a huge vinyl fan, listen to it 90% of the time and believe no CD player truly rivals good vinyl on a good system but I have not enjoyed playing CD's more than I am right now with my PlayStation. Yes, I still think the Cambridge Audio D-300SE has more extension weight in bass, air and clarity but the PlayStation is just so precise and well focused, with greater punch in bass now with an even better cable. I still hear vinyl as a solid step up on the PlayStation or any CD player for that matter but boy I am impressed that for so little money I have been able to rejuvenate my PlayStation which until this past week sat in a box in a closet. Yes, I paid $200+ back in summer 1997 but to think for less than $20.00 to date in cables, connectors and building an Isolation platform I have been given a CD player that is among the best I have ever heard and IMO probably a better CD player than anything (CD or DVD) one will likely get for under $400 or maybe $500. This said again I have no idea how it stands up to $1000, $2000, - $6000 CD players but for me it has invited me to replay with pleasure my CD's again.

I'm going to pick up on eBay a remote control so I do not need the game controller and I may even pick up one of those mini-LCD's to hook up to see info displayed as I play CD's. This all will cost maybe $70-$75 extra and in the end will give me a user friendly full function CD player.

:cool:

An ignorant question....

Yes, I'm a total ignorant about this :confused: maybe it is crazy to think about it :cannotbe: or maybe not:bigeyes: but I see one of these accesories for the PS1 and thought it may work

Playstation MEMORY CARD 1 MB

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-MEM...hZ011QQcategoryZ21190QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Are you thinking what I did ?
:)

Could it be possible to record a few songs into this memory card and play it again through the system? :cool: or should I :smash: this idea...:eek:

Jose.

Jose,

I'm not sure but I don't think you can record music onto he PS1 memory card.

Onto other things though. I took a thin 1/16th piece of balsa wood and glued pieces into place on the bottom tray below the metal sheeting that separates the P.C. board from the plastic base. I made sure vents were not covered but that the balsa wood would be in direct contact with the metal sheet to help kill any vibration from it. I also drilled out some holes on the bottom of my player where the power supply board mounts. Combined with the side vents should IMO enhance flow through vents, not that 5501 had any over heating issues but meh why not add a few more vent holes.

As to mods such as blocking caps we have numerous photo as what one can do on 1002 series machines but has anyone photographed and documented which cap and what else to do on 550x series?

Re: An ignorant question....

Jose Garcia said:
Yes, I'm a total ignorant about this :confused: maybe it is crazy to think about it :cannotbe: or maybe not:bigeyes: but I see one of these accesories for the PS1 and thought it may work

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-MEM...hZ011QQcategoryZ21190QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Could it be possible to record a few songs into this memory card and play it again through the system? :cool: or should I :smash: this idea...:eek:

Jose.

Nope. Not even remotely possible. CDRs are cheaper anyway.

rhing said:
I own both the Model SCPH-1001 and Model SCPH-5501. For anyone wanting to use the AV Multi Out connector, a pretty decent compatible AV cable is the Monster Cable GameLink 200 or Monster Cable GameLink 300.

http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/ps2_cables.asp

It's nicely shielded, uses OFC conductors, has a good foamed Polyethylene dielectric insulation and a snug-fitting 12-pin Gold-plated AV Multi Out connector. I bought mine used for $5.00 from a video game store. I still have to shorten the length from the original 12 ft. length and solder some better RCA connectors on the amplifier end, but the results so far with the cable "as-is" are very good and almost comparable to using higher end RCA interconnect cables with my unmodified Model SCPH-1001. With the cable mods, I expect further improvements. Remember, Model SCPH-550X uses an improved laser assembly over Model SCPH-100X and the laser assembly is positioned further away from the power supply to minimize problems with heat and RF noise from the SMPS.

Hmm, I wonder then, if the 550X shielding plate upon which the laser-assembly sits, could be fitted to a 100X. You could also use the 550X case-top, and have a 550X/100X hybrid with improved signal shieldimg?

Re: An ignorant question....

Jose Garcia said:

Jose.

Greetings Jose,

It's not soooo crazy an idea. Back in October AnthonyPT posted a link to www.interesting-devices.com. They sell lots of PS1 accessories and I got a transparent blue case (see earlier posts for pictures). At that time they also sold a uunit which plugged into the rear port and enabled the PS1 to play mp3 CD's. It only cost £5 (around $10 US). I wish I had got one just for fun. They don't seem to have them now, but they did exist .

Hi Jives and thanks for the link, good stuff there!

My unit, like Dragon Masters unit, use the Mitsumi SR670 power supply board. I would like to take it out of the PS1 case instead of making a copper cage to fit around the power supply section ( seems to be hazardous based on some of the comments). The thing is, how difficult is to take out and replace the adapter whith the 7 colored cables? Can I recage the power supply into a separate box ( from radio Shack) using the stock C-7 IEC ( I have ordered a PS Audio Power Punch cable) and building a new-longer 7 colored adapter. It could be covered with an unbilical or safe tubing, etc to protect it while connecting it to the original position... Hope I explainned myself clear ...

Could this be a good move?

Gracias,

Jose.

Jose Garcia said:
Hi Jives and thanks for the link, good stuff there!

My unit, like Dragon Masters unit, use the Mitsumi SR670 power supply board. I would like to take it out of the PS1 case instead of making a copper cage to fit around the power supply section ( seems to be hazardous based on some of the comments). The thing is, how difficult is to take out and replace the adapter whith the 7 colored cables? Can I recage the power supply into a separate box ( from radio Shack) using the stock C-7 IEC ( I have ordered a PS Audio Power Punch cable) and building a new-longer 7 colored adapter. It could be covered with an unbilical or safe tubing, etc to protect it while connecting it to the original position... Hope I explainned myself clear ...

Could this be a good move?

Gracias,

Jose.

Well as I can't sleep (it's 02:04) I'll presume to answer for Mick.

have a look at www.dogbreath.com - Mick_F describes exactly how to do this and where to get replacement power edge connectors from

You could try this also, it's a lot easier.....

Attachments

• psone_thumb.jpg
    psone_thumb.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 952
Micks Website and data format from laser/DAC Question?

Actually its http://dogbreath.de/

Speaking of Micks website I was wondering if anyone knows what the data format is as it comes from the laser head via the ribbon cable in the third picture down from the top of this page. http://dogbreath.de/PS1/LaserAlignment/Laser.html

Is one of the pins of the connector where the ribbon cable meets the motherboard a place where digital (ex:SPDIF) data could be feed to use the PS1 just as a DAC?

Hi, I'm just joining this thread for the first time.

I heard from an audiophile friend that the PS1 can be a great CD player for audiophiles, but he said that he thought only a certain range of serial numbers were the good ones. I did a search for this but couldn't find any information about it.

Does anyone know if the good PS1 players have to be in a certain range of serial numbers? If so, could you please point me to a list of those numbers?

Thanks very much!

Mike

mluckow said:
Hi, I'm just joining this thread for the first time.

I heard from an audiophile friend that the PS1 can be a great CD player for audiophiles, but he said that he thought only a certain range of serial numbers were the good ones. I did a search for this but couldn't find any information about it.

Does anyone know if the good PS1 players have to be in a certain range of serial numbers? If so, could you please point me to a list of those numbers?

Thanks very much!

Mike

Hi Mike, it's not the serial number but the model number you're looking for:
SCPH 100* or slightly later models, look through the early pages of the thread.
Generally speaking you're looking for the early models with audio/video RCA's on the back.

Oh yes.... welcome to the Clan;) Enjoy the basic model or delve deeper into modding. You wont look back!

Lostcause, thanks very much for the very fast and helpful reply! ;-)

That's just what I needed to know. I'll go back and look at the early pages of this thread for more details. I'm definitely not opposed to the idea of modding. Are the modding discussions in this thread, too? I'm currently building a SimpleSE amp, Zigmahornet speakers, White Lightning Moonshine speaker cables and ICs, and it's all great fun with a wonderful outcome. I only wish I had discovered audiophilia (?) earlier.

Thanks again.

Mike