Playstation as CD-player

RC

This is not a 1002, but a 5502, but it has an RC unit with it. Could this be operated with one of those learning remotes?

Thanks

Attachments

• 40465353_full.jpg
    40465353_full.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,012
Power up "BOING-tinkle" noise

Well I started reading and got to page 43 and ran out of patience.

I searched the thread and I must be using the wrong keywords.

Has anyone Managed to get rid of that annoying BOING-tinkle noise on power up that appears with the logo?
It's DAMN loud and starting to drive me nuts.

Re: Power up "BOING-tinkle" noise

OzMikeH said:
Well I started reading and got to page 43 and ran out of patience.

I searched the thread and I must be using the wrong keywords.

Has anyone Managed to get rid of that annoying BOING-tinkle noise on power up that appears with the logo?
It's DAMN loud and starting to drive me nuts.

Well maybe it's because I started out with turntables, but I always instinctively turn the volume to Zero at the start and end of playing music. I think it's now become a habit. Stems from not wanting to get the terrific "thump" when the stylus first drops into the groove, or when another piece of kit gets switched on.

Re: Re: Power up "BOING-tinkle" noise

jives11 said:
Well maybe it's because I started out with turntables, but I always instinctively turn the volume to Zero at the start and end of playing music. I think it's now become a habit. Stems from not wanting to get the terrific "thump" when the stylus first drops into the groove, or when another piece of kit gets switched on.

You mean I'm not the only one that does that :)

-Ken

Maybe this has already been answered, but I wasn't able to find it. What exactly is the advantage to using the analog outputs on a Playstation to using, say, an S/PDIF output of a standard CD player? I mean, if you use the S/PDIF output, then doesn't it essentially stream the data straight off the disk?

I guess what I'm asking is this; I could see how a high quality CD player could make a difference if you're using an analog amp like a tube-amp or something, but how could it effect the sound quality on a solid-state, digital amp?

Hi every one,

there is a great differance about the the diodes in use.
I used a brigde MB354 and I have an open sound.
I used a four diodes FE5D ( who are superbe ) : total other sound !
So I want to known ; what are the best bridges or the best rectifiers
for the purpose.
My question is important, i think.
Have someone experience with ?
Very much thanks,

Sigurd.

la-li-lu-le-lo said:
Maybe this has already been answered, but I wasn't able to find it. What exactly is the advantage to using the analog outputs on a Playstation to using, say, an S/PDIF output of a standard CD player? I mean, if you use the S/PDIF output, then doesn't it essentially stream the data straight off the disk?

I guess what I'm asking is this; I could see how a high quality CD player could make a difference if you're using an analog amp like a tube-amp or something, but how could it effect the sound quality on a solid-state, digital amp?

Phew - not sure this is the best thread to answer your question. You kind of asked one of the audio questions that is most discussed.

First off , there is no easy way to get S/PDIF out of a playstation 1, so this is not really an issue for us.

Secondly I'd say you are assuming everything is equal. From a data transmission perspective, SP/DIF is not an ideal protocol as it is not synchronous, data and clock information are mixed and pumped down the cable whether or not the device at the other end is ready for the packets of data. In most high speed computer transfer protocols, each end signals to the other when it's ready for another piece of data.

So, SP/DIF does not necessarily give you the perfect data from the CD. then you assume that the conversion in the digital amp is better than the same thing inside a CD player. All you are doing is moving the decoder into another box, linked by an imperfect transfer mechanism. Then you have the quality of the amp itself.

many , many factors and no easy answer. As I said at the start of my response, we don't have to worry about such things as SP/DIF is not an option with a PS 1.

Or is it ? ..........................

;)

jives11 said:

Phew - not sure this is the best thread to answer your question. You kind of asked one of the audio questions that is most discussed.

First off , there is no easy way to get S/PDIF out of a playstation 1, so this is not really an issue for us.

Secondly I'd say you are assuming everything is equal. From a data transmission perspective, SP/DIF is not an ideal protocol as it is not synchronous, data and clock information are mixed and pumped down the cable whether or not the device at the other end is ready for the packets of data. In most high speed computer transfer protocols, each end signals to the other when it's ready for another piece of data.

So, SP/DIF does not necessarily give you the perfect data from the CD. then you assume that the conversion in the digital amp is better than the same thing inside a CD player. All you are doing is moving the decoder into another box, linked by an imperfect transfer mechanism. Then you have the quality of the amp itself.

many , many factors and no easy answer. As I said at the start of my response, we don't have to worry about such things as SP/DIF is not an option with a PS 1.

Or is it ? ..........................

;)

l see, that makes sense. Well let me clarify my question, and tell me if this is the wrong thread for this: I have a cheapo digital receiver, a Pioneer D810-S, I think, and I'm not willing to spend a lot on a CD player. Would it be better to use a modded PSX or a cheapish CD player with an S/PDIF output

la-li-lu-le-lo said:

l see, that makes sense. Well let me clarify my question, and tell me if this is the wrong thread for this: I have a cheapo digital receiver, a Pioneer D810-S, I think, and I'm not willing to spend a lot on a CD player. Would it be better to use a modded PSX or a cheapish CD player with an S/PDIF output

I see. Tough question. My understanding is that Digital receivers are primarily designed for Home theatre applications ? So they can also take the PCM digital out from , typically , a DVD player and separate out the 5.1 or 7.1 channels (I'm a bit unsure here, my home theatre is steam powered 2.0 via tubes ).

I can see that were you to get a DVD plyer and connect it vis SP/DIF to the receiver you could play movies and CD's and get full surround sound features for disks that supported this - all via just one cable from player to Receiver. That's a nice story.

However if we are just talking CD, then I can't really answer. The PS1, even unmodded makes a nice sound with CD's. You may be able to pick up a PS1 for not much money, most likely ask around if any friends have one gathering dust from when the upgraded to a PS2/3/Xbox/Xbox360 etc.

Most CD players feature SP/DIF out so can pump binary data to the receiver. How this will sound depends on the quality of the decoder in the receiver. It may also have some features, I don't know if the receiver can perform any DSP (Digital Signal Processing) to give 'effects' to standard 2.0 data.

I'm very out of touch with what CD players are considered good these days, but I'm guessing there are some cheap players you could use to connect via SP/DIF. If that route was preferred I'd probably go for a DVD player and have a single unit capable of delivering both formats (DVD & CD). Some can even play mp3 data disks, though I suspect only via the players analogue outputs as converting MP3 to SP/DIF may be quite complex.

Re: Toggle switch for PS 1

risperdal said:
Hello,
i want to recasing my playstation. I have seen on www.musicconnection.de that they use toggle switches for the player functions. I have no idea how to make it. Can someone help with schematics, etc.?

You just need the board of the gamepad (is that the correct name for the thing the PS1 is played with?). Replace the required switches of the gamepad by switches to be placed on your recased PS1. The internal connection of the gamepad board can be done as shown in the RC article on my website.

Glad to hear you are happy with the output-stage modification.

Mick