Playstation as CD-player

I haven't read the entire thread, so I hope it's not a double post because if it is this will be even more of a rant than I think it is. This might in fact just be junk. Then just ignore it.

I think this is an important tread and I will try to bring however little I can to it. The PSX is the only CD player this vinyl junkie has ever heard that doesn't reek. Vinyl junkies need to know that there's at least one CD player out there worth having, and it's priced accordingly.

One poster asked for a display. As more or less stated, this might not be a solution. And if it is, I don't think it will be an easy one.

There are these plug-ins called "Game Hunter" and "Action Replay." They are identical, made by the same company, but sold under different names in America and Europe. You plug them into the parallel port. It has a SCSI connector so you can plug it to your PC.

They are for cheats and enable copied discs and such. What's interesting here is that when you start the PSX with the Game Hunter plugged in, the PSX starts in less than a second. There's no loading. The screen (usually the TV set) shows a primitive b&w menu. In CD mode it only shows a counter, kind of like a CD display. So far so good.

There are three major drawbacks with the Game Hunter. You cannot use a remote. It navigates using those square, triangle, etc. buttons on the control. It doesn't start in CD mode. You have to use the up-down arrows then square (I believe). Third, since the PSX doesn't scan the disc when loading (in order to circumvent some protections, I guess) it puts the CD in an endless loop. In short, the Game Hunter is useless for CD playback.

The programming should be easy. Once you have gotten that far, that is. I don't have a clue about what it takes to hack the interfacing. I mention the Game Hunter because it's the easier of the two alternatives for a display (as well as killing the loading) I can see. The other is flashing the BIOS. Good luck with that.

I also want to add this. I read somebody here say the PSX doesn't automatically load in CD mode. It does too. It scans the CD just like a CD player, and if it's a music CD it will go to CD mode. If it doesn't, the CDM is worn out. It's a common problem. To quote a website, "First of all let me tell you what the problem is, Sony makes inferior lasers." I couldn't have put it better myself.

Some here don't agree, but the ideal for me would be to use the CDM from a CD ROM drive. It would solve to only weakness of the PSX. I only use the PSX because it currently has no competition. Again, this is beyond my competence.

Some here don't agree, but the ideal for me would be to use the CDM from a CD ROM drive. It would solve to only weakness of the PSX. I only use the PSX because it currently has no competition. Again, this is beyond my competence.

That means that you'll have to wait for the project on "Digital Audio from IDE" topic to be finished and put the PlayStation's DAC in it.

AVI CONNECTOR

Hello

I did not had the time to read all the post but went to the web site dogbreath.de ( I get the link on the Jbl forum )

i just don't get why Mick can't get an avi -Rca connector I believe it is always delivered with the ps1, or it is available I can get as much as he wants !!!!

Just try the Avi on scph-1002 ; do not see any difference , may be I should test more

Ger56

bias and gain

Dommi,

Dommi said:
<Can You tell us, what versions you measured?

<Kind regards,
<Thomas

Yes, i checked it with 2 boards - 22 and one board -11. No chance to start the CD with your values.
I give it up to find one value for all PS 1 :bawling:

thus we have to face up the reality, which is cruel. There might be more than the four known so far versions

1-658-467-11 PU-8 / AKM AK4310VM
1-658-467-21 PU-8 / AKM AK4309VM
1-658-467-22 PU-8 / AKM AK4309VM
1-658-467-23 PU-8 / AKM AK4309AVM

of the SCPH-1002 w/ AAM and as well ACM drive. :bigeyes:

And I don´t know how to identify :confused:

And there might be another value for the adjustment of the so-called lasergain or intensity, which Dommi identified as

Laserunit AAM 11.4 mV
Laserunit ACM 24.4 mV
Laserunit ADM 24.4 mV
Laserunit BAM 11.4 mV

:xeye:

Kind regards,
Thomas

Re: AVI CONNECTOR

ger56 said:
Hello

I did not had the time to read all the post but went to the web site dogbreath.de ( I get the link on the Jbl forum )

i just don't get why Mick can't get an avi -Rca connector I believe it is always delivered with the ps1, or it is available I can get as much as he wants !!!!

Just try the Avi on scph-1002 ; do not see any difference , may be I should test more

Ger56

I dont know if there are different versions of the adapter avi-rca adapter, but the one I know is not just a direct connection of the four audio-signal contacts to rca. It has some electronics in it, which I would avoid.

But you are right - in order to get the required plug, I could slaughter such an adapter.

Mick

ps1 drop

hello

I am not using a new thread as this one is dedicated to the ps 1.

My ps 1 scph-1002 makes drop the fisrt listening hour (all cd ) and to reduce it I have to install the ps1 vertical then after one hour it goes better and I can put it back horizontal .
i already change the lens .

may be something have some experience and tell me what is the problem and how to resolve .

Ger56

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Very interesting thread. I went searching and found a 1001 this weekend... un-modified and with just a little warm-up time, it sounds promising... not as detailed as my current modified Panasonic S-47 DVD player or as my modified Tjoeb w/upsampler, but listenable and promising. It has improved with on-time... more dynamic, deeper bass.

It sounds like a keeper, especially since this one cost me all of $15. I'll have to try to find a couple more so I have some stock in parts and lay into it with my mod-wand!

Greg in Minneapolis

Greg Stewart said:
Very interesting thread. I went searching and found a 1001 this weekend... un-modified and with just a little warm-up time, it sounds promising... not as detailed as my current modified Panasonic S-47 DVD player or as my modified Tjoeb w/upsampler, but listenable and promising. It has improved with on-time... more dynamic, deeper bass.

It sounds like a keeper, especially since this one cost me all of $15. I'll have to try to find a couple more so I have some stock in parts and lay into it with my mod-wand!

Greg in Minneapolis

I'd definitely suggest trying Mick_Fs output mod as described here :

http://www.dogbreath.de/PS1/output/output.html

Replacing the coupling caps and bypassing the opamps etc certainly brings out more detail, while the warmth is till there