• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pictures of your Tubelab amp

Just finished a Tubelab SE build with 45s. I used a wooden wine crate for the chassis:

tubelabse.jpg

--TWH

The previous content of this crate was great too, I guess :)

Great Idea!

The SSE Sounds Great - thanks George

I've just finished my first, but not last for sure, Tubelabs build. With George's design and all the info on this forum - it was a joy. Had to post a few picts. Hammond PT and Choke, Edcor OPT. Running EL34 right now but plan on rolling tubes soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 1,063
  • IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 1,080
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 1,070
Tubelab SSE by Sgrilli AD

Hello all, here is my SSE!

This is my first tube amp project and I am very proud of it. Few people can say "I did it" and now I can. I've built the second, the Tetra Sans All in One phono preamp.

I thank George for the project and the Tubelab site information and to many people in this forum, as rkinze, boywonder, Ty_Bower and others who helped me to achieve success in the project.

Here in Brazil we don´t have the DIY culture and we have all difficulties to buy electronic components, because almost everything has to be imported and the conversion value of the dollar plus customs rates are too high. Any simple design is very expensive.

The SSE is running with the following configuration:
- Schatz 375-0-375; 200mA - Power Transformer - Brazilian made (similar to Allied 6K7VG)
- Schatz 15-8-5K - OPT - Brazilian made (similar to Edcor GXSE15-8-5K)
- 100 uF motor run auxiliary cap
- Triad Magnetics C-14X
- Obbligato Film Cap 0.22uF / 630V, Premium Gold
- UL/Triode Mode Switch
- SS/Tube Rectifier switch
- CFB Disable switch
- Cathode Resistor Switch with selection of 750, 560 and 490 Ohm
- EH KT88, EH 6CA7 Big Bottle and NOS Russian 6L6 tubes

As you can see in the pictures, I built the SSE with the sockets soldered out of the PCB and modified the layout of the tubes to be aligned with the auxiliary capacitors. I used some extensions to connect the sockets with the PCB.

I have used much the KT88 in UL mode with CFB and the sound is very nice, clean mids and crystal clear highs. My main source is a vintage Sony turntable running with Tetra Sans Phono Preamp.

I still need to solve a problem with my loudspeakers, because I'm using a DIY fullrange with Audio Nirvana Super 8 and the bass are not suitable.

Thank you all.
Antonio

Attachments

• SSE_Front View.jpg
    SSE_Front View.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 604
  • SSE_Top View.jpg
    SSE_Top View.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 569
  • SSE_Back View.jpg
    SSE_Back View.jpg
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 499
  • SSE_Tube Selector.jpg
    SSE_Tube Selector.jpg
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 468
Hi Bob,

The bass response of the fullrange is not good, is weak and without depth.

I made one BR model of 43 liters and follow all of the drivers manufacturer's recommendations.

I had some discussions in this forum. See the Thread. Posts 9; 10 & 23.

I installed the filter recommended by Scott Moose and the result was noticible. But I believe I can go further.

I did some tests with my subwoofer in passive function, connecting through the entry "speakers" and the result was very good. So, I think the SSE is able to produce enough bass.

Although it´s not my preferred alternative, the use of an active subwoofer puts everything in order.

Thanks
Antonio

Hi Folks!
Just completed my Tubelab SSE. I call it "The Valvustein".

This are the most relevant components:

Power transformer: Hammond 374BX
Output Transformers: Hammond 125 ESE
Choke: Triad CX-14
Motor Run Cap: QE 80uF
Coupling caps : PIO K40Y-9
Electrolitic caps: Nichicon and Nichicon Muse
Rectifier Tube: TAD GZ34
First stage amp tube: JJ ECC81
Output tubes: Tung-Sol 6L6G shoulder type envelope (shown in picture) and JJ EL34
Potentiometer: ALPS 50KOhm
Chassis: Douk

Wired in single-ended triode mode. Sounds great!!!

Thanks for watching!!!

17199213111_cce28bd00b_b.jpg

17199687652_2db245f004_b.jpg

16578996304_5043b64805_b.jpg