Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

After a six month gestation, another DIY Aleph J has been born! And, along with it, a build guide for n00bs:

DIY Aleph J: A Build Guide

Huge thanks to the DIYAudio community, and @6L6 in particular. The other amp in the photo, also finished during the pandemic, is a Randall IV tube amp, built thanks to a course offered by San Francisco's Dept. of Parks & Recreation.

Attachments

• 20201216_134110.jpg
    20201216_134110.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 942
  • 20201206_121233_HDR.jpg
    20201206_121233_HDR.jpg
    884.3 KB · Views: 954
After a six month gestation, another DIY Aleph J has been born! And, along with it, a build guide for n00bs:

DIY Aleph J: A Build Guide

Huge thanks to the DIYAudio community, and @6L6 in particular. The other amp in the photo, also finished during the pandemic, is a Randall IV tube amp, built thanks to a course offered by San Francisco's Dept. of Parks & Recreation.

Good work! If you haven't built an F4, do so and drive it with the box sitting on top of the J :D

Another F3

Hi all,

finally my F3 came to life. Had to recalibrate my ears first. Why? Being in this Hobby for quite a few years, having owned several well-known Audio-gear and having built a bunch of other designs, I've been ... impressed? shocked? speechless? after hieving the F3 onto the rack.

Some details first:

• PCB from Carsten's group buy at DIYA
  • Transformer 1st edition from Toroidy, 2nd from TME
  • No Voodoo-parts, just followed the list
  • Cabinet from friendly Chinese

The cabinet went on my small CNC for some optical work. Internally nothing special. 3mm washers turned and polished, 5mm Aluminum risers for the PCB, just painted black. Again no Voodoo for cabels. Really uncommon :D.
The first transformer produced a loud hum, although being an "Audio-Grade" one. Sending it back on my costs would be almost as expensive as having bought the TME one. TME (no potting etc.) just creates a very slight hum - perfect.
Heatsinks got some ringing-prevention with small silicone-pieces, internally the biggest surfaces had been calmed down with the "knocking-with-fingers-and-adding-dampening-mats-without-ringing-it-to-death"-method.

To prevent from TMTNR :rolleyes:, just some words on the sound: Do you know the feeling, that every CD, every Vinyl has to be heard again? Don't know what happened, maybe the combination F3, Odeon's, DIY-CD and DIY-tube-pre just act perfectly together, but that's the next step in listening experience. Wondering, that my ears are still able to recognize :D.

Special thanks to Nelson Pass for sharing his design and the LU's, Carsten for organizing the group-buy, Jeff for sharing his knowledge as well as the font and to DIYA for being such a great community to learn from!

What's next? BA2018 pre on the bench - lets see :cool:

Attachments

• Firstwatt_08.jpg
    Firstwatt_08.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 801
  • Firstwatt_07.jpg
    Firstwatt_07.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 596
  • Firstwatt_09.jpg
    Firstwatt_09.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 560
  • Firstwatt_17.jpg
    Firstwatt_17.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Hi all,

finally my F3 came to life. Had to recalibrate my ears first. Why? Being in this Hobby for quite a few years, having owned several well-known Audio-gear and having built a bunch of other designs, I've been ... impressed? shocked? speechless? after hieving the F3 onto the rack.

Some details first:

• PCB from Carsten's group buy at DIYA
  • Transformer 1st edition from Toroidy, 2nd from TME
  • No Voodoo-parts, just followed the list
  • Cabinet from friendly Chinese

The cabinet went on my small CNC for some optical work. Internally nothing special. 3mm washers turned and polished, 5mm Aluminum risers for the PCB, just painted black. Again no Voodoo for cabels. Really uncommon :D.
The first transformer produced a loud hum, although being an "Audio-Grade" one. Sending it back on my costs would be almost as expensive as having bought the TME one. TME (no potting etc.) just creates a very slight hum - perfect.
Heatsinks got some ringing-prevention with small silicone-pieces, internally the biggest surfaces had been calmed down with the "knocking-with-fingers-and-adding-dampening-mats-without-ringing-it-to-death"-method.

To prevent from TMTNR :rolleyes:, just some words on the sound: Do you know the feeling, that every CD, every Vinyl has to be heard again? Don't know what happened, maybe the combination F3, Odeon's, DIY-CD and DIY-tube-pre just act perfectly together, but that's the next step in listening experience. Wondering, that my ears are still able to recognize :D.

Special thanks to Nelson Pass for sharing his design and the LU's, Carsten for organizing the group-buy, Jeff for sharing his knowledge as well as the font and to DIYA for being such a great community to learn from!

What's next? BA2018 pre on the bench - lets see :cool:

Like the "tribute" faceplate. And you got a fugly!

Hi all,

thanks for your comments. However, an amp has to make (produce, ...) music, who cares, how it looks like. Eyes are closed anyway when listening :D :cool:.

@Attila: Would be a possibility, but as the cheap "donut" is calm, I haven't thought about it so far. BTW: Just two blue LED, does only look like three on the picture.

CNC has been showed for my EL84 Baby Huey in the picture gallery. Haven't taken any pictures for the front-plate, sorry. It's a small one for hobby purpose, size 400x600mm. Perfect for wood and composites, for aluminum you have to be patient ...

Last edited: