Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Flyingsolo,

Do you notice much difference between the SMPS powered and the CRC powered ACA ?

D.

Personal opinion...as all subjective feelings.
Which is good or better depends on application. SMPS is good enough and cheap, and in my application, CRC is a bit better.

SMPS voltage is kind of stable/flat, it lacks dynamic and in a way weak in the high and low ends. The high/low ends are there, just not enough. CRC, on the other hand, the voltage is not as flat as SMPS, but it has more dynamic (probably more power reserves), and excel in high and low ends comparing with SMPS.

Having said above, in terms of listening music, the results depends on your whole system. IMO, ACA with SMPS is more suitable for fullrange, which is also weak in high and low ends (normal cases), your speaker will sound beautiful as usual. Who cares, most people use fullrange for the sweet mid anyway. If you use multi-ways, and your system is good enough, you might be able to notice the high and low ends are cutoff if using ACA with SMPS.

Recap:
-SMPS is cheap and works good for ACA to drive fullrange speakers, Papa want everyone to have an audiophile quality amp at lower price;
-CRC is more expensive, longer life-time, and IMO works better if you use multi-way speakers as it has better high & low ends and more dynamics...

PS:
Please don't argue which is better, it really depend how you use it.
Besides, I could be wrong, after years of marriage, I have lost some of my hearing.
The covered transformer looks cool and solid.:D

Flyingsolo,

Very nice build indeed.

Quick question: Is that a cover on a standard series transformer or is it something
special? It looks super cool. :)

Thanks,
Dennis

Thanks Dennis. It's a Plitron, and below is the photo I took in my car imediatelly after picking up the transformer from Plitron factory, that's the transformer and that's all inside the cartoon. It comes with no screws and whatsoever, the cover was bought elsewhere. I got a couple of those covers for other DIY projects, and finally got a chance to use it...:)

The ACA chassis I use is kind of small(still a lot bigger than the diyaudio kit chassis), need the transformer cover to "organize/hide" the wires...so it looks neat and tidy.

The "Plitorn" label was a colour laser printout on Avery sticker, don't want keep the Plitron anonymous..

Attachments

• transformer.jpg
    transformer.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 1,194
  • Compare.jpg
    Compare.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,195
Last edited:
wow you have done a nice job it looks like the LoNo encapsulated original plitron!

Nice Job!

Thanks Stefano. The mono blocks were bought from Italy directly, customized with blank front panel:)

Plitron is on my way to work, and they make decent tranformers...

In progress build a B1, this time I will use Amplimo, I got a feeling that Amplimo is somehow related to Plitron ;-)

Attachments

• Transformers.jpg
    Transformers.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 1,292
Yes I think amplimo is related with Plitron...if I don't recall wrong Eric designs for them too....anyway...speaking from experience Plitron is actually the finest of all. Their enclosed LoNo are the quietest you can find on the market tjough very pricy!! They sound powerful and clean, full body with dynamic but yet very musical.
Their standard transformers retain a lot of their characteristics but everything much less.
So that chassis is from hifi2000 is that right?
Very, very nice job with your build ...clean and well organized!

Yes I think amplimo is related with Plitron...if I don't recall wrong Eric designs for them too....anyway...speaking from experience Plitron is actually the finest of all. Their enclosed LoNo are the quietest you can find on the market tjough very pricy!! They sound powerful and clean, full body with dynamic but yet very musical.
Their standard transformers retain a lot of their characteristics but everything much less.
So that chassis is from hifi2000 is that right?
Very, very nice job with your build ...clean and well organized!

Yes, hifi2000, they provide very good service...

Thanks for the info, now I know Plitron and Amplimo share a designer...no wonder I feel deja vu...Plitron is almost the only transformer brand I used, just recently I bought the Amplimo out of curiosity, and I really enjoy picking up the transformers from Plitron factory.

Flyingsolo, very nice construction! I thought about the dual laptop supply inside the chassis as well ...

Thanks Eric. It looks neat putting PS inside as wires are driving me crazy, careful though, putting laptop supply inside means more heat inside the chassis, and the heat dissipation condition is not as good as putting them outside, and heat is bad for the power supply.

I now use transformer power supply...

Yes, hifi2000, they provide very good service...

Thanks for the info, now I know Plitron and Amplimo share a designer...no wonder I feel deja vu...Plitron is almost the only transformer brand I used, just recently I bought the Amplimo out of curiosity, and I really enjoy picking up the transformers from Plitron factory.

Please don't take it as an absolute truth as I am not 100%!!!
Why did you decide to go with them rather than Plitron...especially considering you live there?

Regarding your build, what is the current bias you have and what is the rail voltage?
Are you happy with that chassis? Is it robust enough?

Please don't take it as an absolute truth as I am not 100%!!!
Why did you decide to go with them rather than Plitron...especially considering you live there?

Regarding your build, what is the current bias you have and what is the rail voltage?
Are you happy with that chassis? Is it robust enough?

I love Plitron, I have 4 of them in my DIY amps, pre-amp...and the transformers I bought from plitron is more than that, as I normally recommended my friends also go with Plitron. This time just want see if amplimo also good...plitron also sell amplimo amplifier modules, that's why I thought they were "related".

I use 15V x 2 transformer, after CRC the voltage is around 20V --- 15v*(125/115)* 1.25 = 20.38V(yep, Canada voltage is 125V, and transformer spec says primary is 115V), current is around 1A per rail without 2.2K patch, and around 1.6A with 2.2K patch.

CRC I use 10,000uf + 0.47R + 10,000uf per rail, and measured DC current through the 0.47R.

Another thing I love the transformer + CRC more is that if you use laptop PS, when turn on the amp, you will hear something like mosquito buzzing then disappear.(the 1000uf cap is buffering)..using the transformer PS will not hear anything when you turn on and off...

The stereo chassis is not hifi2000, it's strong enough, all aluminum 3mm panels, and I used big aluminum feet...solid

Last edited: