• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Cycline3 said:

Looks great, what's not to like!? I'd like to take a listen for sure...

FastEddy said:
" ... I can post an mp3 too if someone's interested,,, ..."

" ... Looks great, what's not to like!? I'd like to take a listen for sure.... "

Ditto that! I collect these kinds of thingies ... got links?
:D

(Also wondering about similarities between this (Mega Boogie design) and the similar looking BottleHead kits ...?)

Thx for the interest. I don't know the BottleHead kit but this was not a kit at all I built everything for it except obviously the tubes, the transformer and the case [it's an all-alu by hammond].

This preamp is exceptionally quiet, it has a 10H inductance, all caps are orange drops, silver mica or elna cerafine, all resistors are metal film.

I also did a solid state replica pedal of the mesa rectifier which has a raging distortion but sounds a bit more like a 5150 due to its pronounced treble. I can post mp3s for that too. We recorded a clean guitar then sent the file [reamping] thru a 5150 head and then the same file thru my 15€ solid state pedal. if you can recognize what's what you can win a friendly pat on your back.

Here are the links for two mp3s: one with drums and one without. Both were recorded at my house direct into my motherboard integrated soundcard [top of the line realtek ac97!!! :D ] and then the power amp + cab + sm57 combination was emulated with impulses. Other than this there was no eq'ing, no compression, no nothing,,, pure mesa boogie style sound. I'm a bass player so please excuse my shitty guitar skills.
http://www.esnips.com/doc/0419b24a-c8b1-4c69-9beb-5336b89bab01/CameNew2
http://www.esnips.com/doc/62d94c3e-8ae1-4743-945c-2f33d3fc720a/CameNew3

Settings for both these files were:
gain: 5-6
bass: 2 [yes, 2! the thing pushed out HUGE quantities of bass]
mid: 0
treble: 7-8
presence: 10

Please let me know your opinions regarding the outcome.
Thx again for the interest.

My Latest Project

This is my latest project,I'm still refining some things,better pots,metal film resistors,you know the whole nine yards,the next project will probably have a tube power supply instead of solid state.

Attachments

• 3cbc_1.jpg
    3cbc_1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 3,179
Desmo said:
Here is my first DIY tube project. It's designs from www.triodedick.com The RIAA is the ''phonodude'' and the linestage is the ''Cleo6''.

I have made is as a two box preamp according to the ''clean box'' - ''dirty box'' idea.

The dirty box contains the 3 transformers and the first stages of PS regulation. This box also houses the microprocessor board for the display, remote, volume, balance etc etc unit.

The clean box contains the RIAA and PRE of course, and also the final stages of PS regulation and the relay controlled input selector / volume control. The small circuit boards in the clean box are the 6V and 12V regulators for heater supplies and the PS for the relay boards...

I will upload a few more pics...

Cheers,
Morten

Really nice,good clean lines,nice layout and wiring!!

Headphone Amp

My brute force headphone amp built on a computer power supply chassis. Why? Why not... just to see if I could cram it all in there! Sounds great! 12AX7LPS driver, Shuguang KT66 outputs and metal film/polypropylene caps. Output transformerless, CLC power supply with 1200uf total filter caps. Zero extra room on the inside of the chassis... it's "packed like sardines in a crushed tin box!"

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.