• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Here is my first DIY tube project. It's designs from www.triodedick.com The RIAA is the ''phonodude'' and the linestage is the ''Cleo6''.

I have made is as a two box preamp according to the ''clean box'' - ''dirty box'' idea.

The dirty box contains the 3 transformers and the first stages of PS regulation. This box also houses the microprocessor board for the display, remote, volume, balance etc etc unit.

The clean box contains the RIAA and PRE of course, and also the final stages of PS regulation and the relay controlled input selector / volume control. The small circuit boards in the clean box are the 6V and 12V regulators for heater supplies and the PS for the relay boards...

I will upload a few more pics...

Cheers,
Morten

Attachments

• dscn1488.jpg
    dscn1488.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,460
FastEddy said:
Desmo: " ... The thin cable is the control ..."

USB ? ... Serial ? ... Current loop ? ...

Very nice looking stuff, BTW ... Let us know how it all sounds ... :D

Thanks FastEddy...

It is this design I'm using: http://eshop.diyclub.biz/product_info.php?cPath=85_186&products_id=405

I don't know the specifics of the interface. I have just made the thin cable as an extension cable because the controller is in the ''dirty box'' and the attenuator boards are in the ''clean box''...

I will let you know (if it does not explode, when I turn it on) :xeye:

SHiFTY said:
Nice work scat_cat! 25 years well spent! :)

What does the golden plaque say? And how does it sound?
Thanks!
The plaque say my last name ;) , originally a door plaque that our daughter rejected.
I am happy with the sound and stereo image. I tried stages with high linearity and just enough amplification. Then a small portion of NFB was introduced to stabilize overall gain and phase shift. I do not however have any professional to judge on it.

This is a nice thread !

I recently built a 2A3 single ended Amp with James OPT's and a Hammond 302Ax power transformer.
The choke came from dutch manufacturer AE-Europe.
I have built the amp on request for an audio enthousiast. He uses it to drive a couple of "sonatines" which are built around the PHY driver from France.

It sound very musical. The schematic I took from http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/simple45.htm

only difference is in the cathode resistor for the 2A3, I used 1k instead of 1k5.

Cheers, I will post some other things I did as well.

Attachments

• dscn2812.jpg
    dscn2812.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2,887
I'm a butcher...

I modified my old beat-up Leak Stereo 20, circuit is now a version of the "el-cheapo", retaining the GZ34 and adding a choke. Output valves are cheap plentiful Emitron 7C5s (made by GEC/MOV?) of which I have about 20. Sounds great!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is a my new amplifier 40w ultra-linear 2 el34,1 ecc88 and 1ecc82 per chanel.

Hi, I'm a noob so I thought I'd post a pic of my first finished project in collaboration with a dear friend:

Some of the pics in this thread put mine to shame [both my amp building and pic taking skills!] but this was my first project and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

It's based on a Mesa Boogie Rectifier series pre for guitar [just the red modern channel] and I really like the way it sounds,,,

I can post an mp3 too if someone's interested,,,

basstard said:
Hi, I'm a noob so I thought I'd post a pic of my first finished project in collaboration with a dear friend:

Some of the pics in this thread put mine to shame [both my amp building and pic taking skills!] but this was my first project and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

It's based on a Mesa Boogie Rectifier series pre for guitar [just the red modern channel] and I really like the way it sounds,,,

I can post an mp3 too if someone's interested,,,

Looks great, what's not to like!? I'd like to take a listen for sure...

Last system

Hi
Lot of interesting projects, would like to duce mine:
bi amping system,
Speakers: two way, Altec 414Z bass reflex, 811+802 High freq
HF Amplifier: SE 27 + 45 (1,5 Watt per channel)
LF Amplifier: SE ECC802s + G-807 (8 Watt per ch)
Active Crossover: E88CC + Pre Amp: 6SL7GT
CD Philips: valve output, 5842 as line amplifier
Hand made cables, hand made OPTs, wire - old telefunken 0,3mm copper.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562148071dfBbiB

Thanks for looking, comment welcome.

Thanks Sir
yes I made full system myself, speakers also, I mean cabinets was glued myself. Surely need some improvement but it is not a secret that audiophile never satisfied
Sounds good, I like Jazz, Blues but sometimes listening rock, output power is quite enough for 30m2 meter room.
I am planing to build Mono amplifier from old German tubes and components, have some very good speakers,

Good luck