• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

one more :

Attachments

• picture 1391.jpg
    picture 1391.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 3,600
I was browsing this incredible gallery again and thought I might add one of my own that I am not terribly embarrassed about. It is a headphone amp and the psu is not pictured as it is pig ugly but does the job well hidden from view. :D

The detail of the design is available hereCavalli Audio

seem to be having attaching an image??

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FastEddy said:
" ... with almost all salvage parts. ..."

!! :D !!
Salvaged the tubes, sockets, power supply cap, transformers, panel meters, and some of the resistors from an old tape deck that was given to me. Salvaged the chassis and power cord from an Intel Inbusiness Storage Station (an old NAS device). Had a scrap of Bocote wood leftover from a jewelery box I made. I had to buy new resistors and caps for the amplifier stages, switches for the front panel, a Volume pot, and 1/8" stereo phone socket for the input. Anybody else got any old equipment they don't want?

Unity coupled output amplifier (ala McIntosh) with 2 pairs of EL86 as finales.

One of two mono blocks:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Working conditions are 260V B+, 190V Bg2 (regulated) and –90V for the negative rail. The amp runs near to class B, biased with 4 x 10-20mA in the output stage.
Max power output was estimated to be about 30W and I measure the onset of clipping at ~15Vrms into 8.2R (~28W)

Schematic: front end and output stage:

The output transformer is a custom transformer (3x720R) from Sowter UK. Global negative feedback is kept low, about 10dB, but there are no problems to apply more feedback to get even better technical results. Personally I am not a big supporter of global NFB, but used in proper amounts it does good things.

With 10dB NFB I achieved these results:
Zo : 0.8 ohm
THD: ~0.6% (50Hz, 1kHz, 10kHz, @ 25W Po) (2nd and 3rd harmonic dominant)
Frequency response: 10Hz-100kHz (+0/-0.5dB). –3dB at 230kHz.

30kHz square wave response (4V pp) is not that bad:

Jan E Veiset

After 25 years of waiting and thinking

Hi
This is my humble project. A 2x35 Watt power amp (driven by CD or a RIAA tube amp) equipped with EL34's and ECC82's. The ECC82's are coupled as differential stages with solid state current sources. The transformers behind the "fence" are all Lundahl's. The EL34 are old Telefunken.