• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

My small block V8 got a rebuild. Signal comes in thru exhaust stack. Simple design, 6922 VAS driving three 5687 in PSE. 2.7mHp at the terminals, plenty for an office amp.

Attachments

• onshelf.jpg
    onshelf.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 1,058
  • rear1.jpg
    rear1.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 1,024
  • side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 914
  • frontglowclose.jpg
    frontglowclose.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 864
This amp has been in the works for a long time.. It started out as a fairly modest 845 SET amp, cathode biased 845, Edcor CXSE-5K output transformers, and a Hammond 724 power transformer.. Using Rod coleman filament regulators.

Over the past year it's grown into quite the beast. I got a good deal on some Monolith Magnetics S-5 output transformers. I got a custom wound Heyboer power transformer (z-mount), running a bit higher voltage, changed to fixed bias, utilizing a mosfet source follower setup a la Powerdrive (using Toshiba 2SK3564 mosfets). HV B+ rectified using a pair of 6CJ3's.
The amp can run with either 211 power tubes or 845. Pictured with 211's. The meters on the front are measuring cathode current on the power tubes.

I built the amp with the power section in its own chassis, the driver and raw DC supply for the coleman regs are in separate chassis', and I need to rebuild those in nicer chassis', so I'm not even bothering to show those at the moment. I'm just feeling so good about the amp I thought I'd post a pic of the power section. Couldn't be happier with the sound. And I measure 35W output power just before clipping (well into class A2). The guts aren't the prettiest, but it's more of a function over form type situation. I put a lot of time into wiring this up, and it's rock solid. The chassis is from Landfall systems, and the big black heatsink on top is from HeatsinkUSA.

Just weighed this power section, and it comes in 96 pounds! That's just the power section, as I mentioned this power section chassis doesn't include the raw dc supply for the filament regs, and it doesn't include the driver.

I also picked up a nice pair of Klipsh Forte's, made in 1986. They sound great with this amp. Posted of a pic of one of those as well.

Sorry the pics aren't the greatest.

Attachments

• IMG_2424.JPG
    IMG_2424.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_2421.JPG
    IMG_2421.JPG
    444.6 KB · Views: 1,385
  • IMG_2425.JPG
    IMG_2425.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 1,408
  • IMG_2423.JPG