• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: 6c45/2a3/6cj3

rcavictim said:
Nice job jsn! The term "Monkey configuration" is new to me. Do you know where this came from?

AFAIK it originated in a discussion on the Joe List. Jeremy Epstien had one of the 1st working examples. I don't remember whether Gorilla preceeded monkey or not, but in trying to understand what was being talked about i captured some maps.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tubes/gorilla.html

dave

Re: Re: Re: 6c45/2a3/6cj3

planet10 said:

AFAIK it originated in a discussion on the Joe List. Jeremy Epstien had one of the 1st working examples. I don't remember whether Gorilla preceeded monkey or not, but in trying to understand what was being talked about i captured some maps.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tubes/gorilla.html

dave

In the schematics you posted the "Paul Joppa Parafeed" version is incorectly drawn and cannot work. The output transformer is hooked up to what is a cathode follower 2A3 with a 0D3 gas VR tubes shorting out the cathode modulation which hardly exists anyhow since the plate choke on the 2A3 gets the audio swing..

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: 6c45/2a3/6cj3

rcavictim said:
In the schematics you posted the "Paul Joppa Parafeed" version is incorectly drawn and cannot work. The output transformer is hooked up to what is a cathode follower 2A3 with a 0D3 gas VR tubes shorting out the cathode modulation which hardly exists anyhow since the plate choke on the 2A3 gets the audio swing..

Could well be (i actually noted that that looked a bit funny when i found the URL -- that page has never been public)... i knew an awful lot less then than i do now, i'm still a rookie... the only one i cooresponded with to make sure i got it right was Kurt. If i get around to it i'll fix it.

dave

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 6c45/2a3/6cj3

planet10 said:

Could well be (i actually noted that that looked a bit funny when i found the URL -- that page has never been public)... i knew an awful lot less then than i do now, i'm still a rookie... the only one i cooresponded with to make sure i got it right was Kurt. If i get around to it i'll fix it.

dave

The simple modification suggested by jsn is correct.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: gorilla

jsn said:
Very cool. Do you know what the "original" monkey design was? That would be an interesting archaeological audio artifact :)

You could check the JoeList archives for the discussion... i'm sure the design was done a long time ago back in the days when the transistor was not yet a glimmer in the inventor's eyes.

here is Jeremy's http://home.earthlink.net/~jeremyepstein/freelunch.html

Welbournes DRD is another flavour as well IB.

dave

12e1 srpp parafeed

This one was inspired by Peter Millett's design using EL34s http://www.pmillett.addr.com/el34_active-load_(srpp)_amp.htm

I used 12e1s because they are cheap and a bit different. After lots of experimenting, I now have both 12e1s connected as triodes rather than the pentode / triode arrangement in Peter Millett's design. Drivers are 6sn7 also in srpp configuration.

Power supply is just straightforward parallel 5u4s then CLC with a tube regulated supply to the drivers.

I used Hammond 125E transformers again due to low cost and availability

The amp is now strating to sound nice but its taken ages to burn in (over a month) It sounded harsh and scratchy initially with very little bass.
Now starting to smooth out and the bass is actually really good for an se amp.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My first tube experience. A SE ECL82 amp. Have it wired ultra linear and suprisingly good without any exotic parts.
Beats all my gainclone in almost every sense except low bass region.

Attachments

• pic_0007b.jpg
    pic_0007b.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 3,371
Congratulations on completing your project. By the look of your transformers I'm guessing that it sounds pretty good.
It's interesting that you mention the gainclone as in many ways, the ECL82 was the LM1875 of its era. Appearing in everything from low cost portable record players to the Telefunken S80 series amplifiers, it still compares favourably with its solid state 'competition'

Attachments

• tele.jpg
    tele.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 4,293
Congratulations! Glad to hear there is now one less person out there that think us Tubeophiles are crazy

Thank you. Tubeophiles are crazy allright, but theyre never wrong
:D

Congratulations on completing your project. By the look of your transformers I'm guessing that it sounds pretty good.
It's interesting that you mention the gainclone as in many ways, the ECL82 was the LM1875 of its era. Appearing in everything from low cost portable record players to the Telefunken S80 series amplifiers, it still compares favourably with its solid state 'competition'
Thank you. Is that the telefunken S80? Now thats what I call good idea of safety