• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

^^ Looks pretty nice from that link!

Here is my rebuilt PP amp, with fixed bias 807s in PP. Goes fine, especially with Mullard ECC32s as drivers! I managed to snag an old panel meter to measure the bias on each tube as well.

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,040
It's a stereo SE 6GW8 from ye-olde H.M.V cabinet radiogram.

It suffices with 3.5 watts to drive my 3-way cheap-chinese speakers into TURN IT DOWN! loudness.

On a pair of Magnavox 10" whizzer cone baffles though it really shines =P

I've been kicking dirt around on this amp for the past 12 months learning bit by bit how tubes operate..

Attachments

• 17th-sep-04-amp-6gw8-2.jpg
    17th-sep-04-amp-6gw8-2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 4,010
6c45/2a3/6cj3

Nice work everyone. I can't believe how many tube builders there are out there!

Here is my latest...

A monkey configuration using a 6c45 driver, 2a3 output, and 6cj3 rectifier pair. Output is a magnequest tfa-204. 6c45 is choke loaded... That about covers it.

I am thinking about ways to be able to run 45s in it as well, but with the monkey topology it might be kinda tricky.

Here is the full sordid tale:
http://boozhoundlabs.com/monkey/

jsn

Re: 6c45/2a3/6cj3

jsn said:
Nice work everyone. I can't believe how many tube builders there are out there!

Here is my latest...

A monkey configuration using a 6c45 driver, 2a3 output, and 6cj3 rectifier pair. Output is a magnequest tfa-204. 6c45 is choke loaded... That about covers it.

I am thinking about ways to be able to run 45s in it as well, but with the monkey topology it might be kinda tricky.

Here is the full sordid tale:
http://boozhoundlabs.com/monkey/

jsn

Nice job jsn! The term "Monkey configuration" is new to me. Do you know where this came from?

monkey?

Thanks.

I have no idea where the term "monkey" came from in describing this topology, but in general this seems to be any amp where the plate for the driver is fed from the cathode of the output tube. Other terms describing this are Jeremy Epsteins "free lunch" or Ron Welborne/Jack Elliano's Direct Reactance Drive. I have also heard it called cathode-coupling.

jsn

Dressed up Eico HF-20's

I am fortunate to have found a pair of Eico HF-20 P-P 6L6 UL mono amps and in the process of rebuilding them and some modifications to make them better I also dressed them on the outside with some hard maple knobs and side panels and new feet. I am currently using these on my newest speaker project seen in my avatar. Sweet tube sound. I've added adjustable NFB controls on these amps and am using them with far less than the original amount. This and the addition of a plate choke on the line amp stage preceding the phase inverter, correcting the cathode bias R value on the (Williamson circuit) drivers and changing the two 12AU7's to 6CG7's really opened them up.

Attachments

• p6301665.jpg
    p6301665.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 4,352