Perfect sound search, this idea, HELP!, the long and insane search...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Carlos,
Please allow me to share some ideas cooking in my head for some time. From your posted circuit, I was just thinking of using the LTP differential input? This way the 2 outputs are perfectly symmetrical and inverted in opposite phase so this way maybe we don’t have to think about the different impedance and phase? But believe the input and feedback must be lifted (biased) just as the other stages since noticed the circuit utilized single supply and without grounding.

Thanks,
mannycc

Will not be interesting anymore my dear friend

Mannicc

Will be another three stage amplifier.. alike thousands of others.... the advantage into this design that made me interested on it was because was simple.

If i need to use differential, or phase splitter or gain one phase inverter stage...then the circuit will not be interesting anymore.

Using differential we gonna have three stages.... there's a lot of three stages amplifiers buzzing around... i have created several.... i want to try different things.... and was surprised with this problem into the input...will try my way... also to listen will use an inverter small transformer... a battery charger chinese small transformer.... a 110 volts to 4 volts.... trying primary or secondary...having three wires, i will be able to invert the phase entering the audio sinal into the middle transformer wire... and my audio ground will go to the virtual audio ground we have into the circuit input...well... will try.

But really... will not be happy..... using transformer the sound will be worse.... this circuit, for sure will be assembled (because i have produced special supply, and now i have already started and have to finish)..... and will be abandoned... transformers are audio killers... even sounding fine, i will know, in advance, the transformer will be killing sound quality.

Each stage you use, each capacitor or resistance or inductor... each part you use produces some losses.... so... i was "in love" with this schematic because very simple, so, may have special audio quality...but... if i will really need to use transformer...phase splitter or a phase inverter single stage..then i will be introducing parts and one more stage... the advantage the circuit has will be lost this way.

Well... this is a matter of our own limits...our limits of tollerance...for example, my wife can be small... she can be too much white or too much dark, she can be bad educated..also i can tollerate bad mood from her... she can be not so sexy...also she can be not social.... she can be unkind.... and them... all those things will be the limit...if she appear with bad breath too!.. then will not be my wife anymore.... you know...limits... the unit uses Fets (I hate them, also hard do find)... the unit is Class A (i hate too, too much hot to my country)... the limit is this one..if needed one more stage... finished!

regards,

Carlos

Wavebourn said:
If I am right they were called Verstarkers, but what is the German for Schematic?

Close, but the Germans use this "a" with a couple of dots over it. "Verstärker" is the word.
And schematic would be "schaltplan".
I'm absolutely no expert in German, in fact i never really learned it at school, though trying (more than 40 years ago:xeye: ), but a few words managed to stick :D

Best regards
Ebbe

Thank you folks... i am also searching into Niklas Wallin amplifier

He has a lot of nice ones.

Also he had published, recently something very good.

Into the forum he may be something alike Nikwal or some name alike that.

I am turning old...memory is not very good.

Well... i have a lot of amplifier from him and i will take a good look on them.

Will search for something interesting (he has a lot of interesting ones) and without complementary FETs.... i have not complementary fets in my home.

I have lost some "gas" related the Circlotron because the input needs.... will have to kick my own a-- to move myself to build it.... if you wanna know was deceptive to me this need.... i have perceived this need very late.... already have modified the stabilized supply to this one... so...now i have to build not to have work lost.... things made for nothing.

I see i will not be able to make it work without special stage, or inverter transformer...and i do not want to use...very frustrating to me.

Well...i think i deserve that... was stupid not to study the schematic into details...i moved faster than i can think about the problems i could face.... the need of an extra stage, or a specially "dedicated" customized pré amplifier is a "killer" to me.... really unaceptable!

Supply is already non standard...amplifier non standard...and also the pré amplifier...ahahahhaa..too much to big Charlie.

regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

When I suggested differential input, I was thinking of replacing the input transistor on your posted circuit that’s why I thought the number of stages should still be the same except that one transistor will be added (pls correct me if I’m wrong) :). I’m interested with the approach and simple design of the amp so I would appreciate if you can send me the schematic with parts value pls also include the volume/tone controls (only if possible)…my email add…

mannycc@gmail.com

have tried the web but found only specs without schematic. I have no immediate plan to construct the amp because no time yet but only for own study…

Thanks,
mannycc

Interesting dear Mannicc.

I have built the Circlotron and listened.... i have made recording and uploaded the one to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhcuGzPg1qc

I found the amplifier good.... treble not so mufled compared to DOZ and others i have in my home.

I found it stable but too much hot..poor transistors are yelling for help... current adjusted into 1.5A plus 1.5A.... voltage was filtered and i have used electronic stabilizer.... voltage was adjusted to 20 volts and 20 volts and dropped to 19.8 Volts when iddle current was adjusted to 1.5 A upper side and 1.5A lower side.

I have tried several inputs, transformers, phase splitters, inverters, transformers inverting and transformers non inverting... i have used condensers, i have coupled directly and worked fine.

Seems to me that will be a very nice amplifier if you use the pré amplifier people suggest to it.... with the needed 180 degrées phase inverters to positive and negative inputs.

Will be dismounted... despite very good... too much hot to my environment temperature.

I have used headphone, and 2 speakers while listening...i have substituted single speaker by a 4 way system (sounded worse into the 4 way system..can you believe that?)... i would like more treble... a little bit more.... yes... i have amplifiers in my home, class AB units, that gives me the treble i want.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• built.jpg
    built.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 467
Will assemble once again... the Circlomanen, Circlotron.... no modified

But very small modification...i want to try this idea...to 35 watts RMS into 8 ohms..... do not know if will work fine... also the current will be very high.

Curiosity..... yeeessss!.... just curiosity.

Will assemble once again tomorrow morning... more 12 hours i will have results.

I cannot wait to see how will sound....simulator is fine...well... everything is fine into simulator.

Stand by current will jump to 2.5 amperes...reason why i have introduce another FET.

Will be hot... a hell hot!

regards,

Carlos:hot:

Attachments

• circlotron dx.gif
    circlotron dx.gif
    90.8 KB · Views: 473
1.5 plus 1.5 amperes and 25 volts plus 25 volts

I will try... gonna see what will happens into the next exciting chapter...unless it is a hell exciting to me... i just cannot wait the new day to come!

This Circlotron was an old Electronic Tube Amplifier.... a Valve unit..... Michael Rothacher have adapted to FET... redesigned.

Nelson Pass have aproved and made something alike.. also has published something about.... Circlomanen has made simplified one, the one i have tried.... now i am tweaking.... last try.... terrible curiosity.

Maybe will produce 35 watts RMS... and i feel this power the minimum power we can feel good.... and to each channel.... 35 watts undistorted.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• circlotron dx.pdf
    9.3 KB · Views: 130
Well... there are some hits in this thread, so i gonna feed you with some informs

Thank you very much to visit me...i feel lonely doing and not sharing things.

I feel good sharing, publishing...i feel i am not alone... and also cooperating...a good feeling.... feeds my soul.

Well... everyday doing.... and trying to have excelent sound... could not...could have good sound...or very good (depends on speaker..it is a hell different from one to the other)

The bass is not boomy as we normally have with almost all brands... this sound is strong into voices..into presence.... so loud we feel it bothering..... i have reduced gain everywhere.... installed attenuating resistances...but this "loud"...may be distortion.

I have adjusted some milivolts.... 200 or 300 milivolts... some miliwatts of power..almost nothing.... and i could listen all my home.... 15 meters distant...other room....... interesting how loud this amplifier can play..... we know that class A behaves this way.... 1 watt of class A sound loud!.... do not ask me why but sounds loud!... and this one is too much loud.

Treble is not in evidence.... seems it is there..... do not appear very strong, not annoying... a shy treble there.... the bass is there too.. alike tube.... that bass we dream to have something stronger, something boomy, something to shake our walls...but it is there..weak...needing some energy...if you increase volume and output voltage jumps to 12 volts (or something around that) distorts...so you cannot increase.

I love it... i hate it..... i like it... i dislike it...i feel confused...it is clear, nice, also strange, weak, too much hot.... strange sound.

here is the yesterday picture.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• well boys.jpg
    well boys.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 292
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.