Pearl Two

Some measurements. Comparison of the Pearl Two "front end" with supplied JFETs on the stock boards vis a vis OPA2604 run at the top of the permissible voltages. Gain is identical for each, and each preamplifier is loaded resistively with 6k8:

Attachments

• Opa2604 pearl noise.png
    Opa2604 pearl noise.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 569
  • opa2604 thd vs output.png
    opa2604 thd vs output.png
    29 KB · Views: 562
Thank you Lajozs.
Here are three fotos of my drawings for the boards, maybee they can be to some help. They are seen from the component side. When I do my circuitboards I make a copy of my drawing and tape it on the component side of the of the board. I drill through and after som work whith the sharp cupperedges round the hole whith a handheld drill, some cleaning and a few gentle whipes whith steel wool I handpaint the cuppertrases whith a special pen. Then I ets the boards and they are ready for soldering!
By the way I also have bult some other Passamps. 20W from the -70's, ZEN mk2, B1 and F5 turbo.

Attachments

• IMG_4871 web.JPG
    IMG_4871 web.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_4872 web.JPG
    IMG_4872 web.JPG
    528.8 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_4873 web.JPG
    IMG_4873 web.JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 517
Reactions: 1 user
@Abrandt:

Thanks for the attachements!
Nice stereo job on such a little piece of PCB (your figures attested by the number of squares :)). Unfortunately, my special pen (used last time in '90s) has dried up long ago. My last circuits were made with an engraving handtool: not very comfortable, ugly a bit - but efficient...

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Abrandt - Thank you for showing your layout notes... it seems that you made very nice PCB... I have always liked smooth lines and turns instead of 90deg angles as CAD programs make.

Johnnycr100 - There's no reason why it won't work, give it a try. :) CineMag makes very nice transformers.

Thank you Wayne and Nelson, for your never ending support of us DIYers! Even without being able to build all of your designs, I had so many great nights reading and discussing these designs I lost count! Luckily BoSoZ kept me company all this time :D.

Now that Toshiba has ended the production of the 2SK370/2SK170 families of JFETs, they are getting rather rare. On a Dutch forum we try to build at least 10 Pearl two's but locating a supplier who can deliver like 150+ devices is a little difficult. 150+ to be able to match and have some spare seems allmost undoable. Without reading all the pages on this brilliant site so far, is there a good replacement for these JFETs?

Trial Run!

First impression - where was that bass before?

Second impression - dead quiet even with no chassis spaghetti wiring!

Third impression - my tube phono pre sure added coloration

Fourth impression - more detail

I think I'll keep it! :D

I also had to do a little creative component placement as my NOS ERO caps that I used in the RIAA filter were a touch bigger than the WIMA.

Attachments

• P2 trial run.JPG
    P2 trial run.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 588
  • dualing caps.JPG
    dualing caps.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 587
Nice... Isn't it? :) :) :)

Box it up and call it done!

... And I see you buy the best interconnects in the world also. Well done.

VERY NICE! Good synergy across the line-up (all NP) also. Love BJC!

Faceplates are at the machine shop for a logo, LED holes and an LCD screen on the preamp. I'll post completed pics also with all the pretty lined-up blue power LEDs on the faceplates. :p