Pearl Two

What voltages do you get on the bottom of Q6-9? If it is 70mV or more, they are draining Q3. Change R21-R24 to 20R. I had about 6V on the collector of Q3 at first (but the amp worked fine...). I changed R21-24 to 20R and R10 to 8k2, now I have 8.8V on the collector of Q3 (9.3 on the base and 8.6 at the emitter).

If absolutely no music comes out of your board I suspect another fault. Check for things like a jumper for R15 and no jumper if you decide to leave out C15.

Pearl One vs. Pearl Two?

I built the original Pearl a few years back. Pearl One I guess you could call it.

Just curious - has anyone done a listening comparison of Pearl One vs Pearl Two?

I know the Pearl Two can work with lower-output cartridges; but I'm curious to know if there are audible differences.

You might be interested in these tests I ran on the Pearl One PASS DIY PEARL MK 1 Audio Test

Hi fabriciom,
as Wellerman already said, make sure Q3 is forward biased, meaning VCollector > VBase > VEmitter. If that is not the case, change (reduce) R10 to 8kOhm or even lower. This might be necessary, if too much current flows through the JFETs, which can also be reduced by increasing R21-R24 to 20 Ohms.
All the best
poli

Reactions: 1 user
Jfet Idss question

More than 4 years ago I bought the boards and Jfets from Pass Diy and the other parts from Mouser and Digikey. Due to circumstances everything was boxed up and put on the shelf. Now I am finally able to get back to it :)

The resistors, small caps, ztx450's and zvp3310 were already installed on the boards, so while I wait for my new solder to arrive I started re-reading the thread (I just read that C7 will have to be removed :().

Some time ago I bought the last 7 unmatched Toshiba 2SK170BL Jfets a local supplier had left in stock (for less than $1 each :D) and tested them using this procedure http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/141162-2sk170-matching.html#post1784617 to see if I could pair them up. I also measured the Jfets that came with the Pearl 2 boards and noted their values (mV; I used a 10V bench PSU):

4 x 2SK370GR bag 1

4 x 2SK370GR bag 2

5 x 2SK370GR bag 3 (one more than expected :D)

After re-reading part of the thread I am wondering if these values are optimal for the circuit. Should I use these Jfets or should I get some with higher Idss? What Idss would be ideal? How close should they be mactched?

Thanks,

Albert

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
R21 to R24 were changed to 20 ohms and I've got closer voltages to Wayne's. Looks like ballpark. Attaching mine and Wayne's voltages.

Attachments

• pearl II votages siberia V2.png
    pearl II votages siberia V2.png
    451.9 KB · Views: 964
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 10.30.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 10.30.42 PM.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 419
I've been enjoying my Pearl 2 for a while now (built stock and used with an AT-150MLX MM cartridge that has a 5.0mV output level). It feeds a BA-3 preamp (with LDR-based volume control) that drives an F4 amp. I buy all of my albums at the flea market and then wash them with a Spin Clean record washer.

Many of albums sound GREAT, but there are an increasing number of albums that sound distorted to me. I've played around with reducing the output of the Pearl 2 by putting a resistor in the C15 position. While it does reduce the output level from the Pearl, the albums that sounded distorted beforehand still sound distorted to me. One of them was a sealed Frank Sinatra album, so it can't really be record wear that I am hearing.

I presume that some albums are just cut better than others, but I have a handful now that sound terrible. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

I've been enjoying my Pearl 2 for a while now (built stock and used with an AT-150MLX MM cartridge that has a 5.0mV output level). It feeds a BA-3 preamp (with LDR-based volume control) that drives an F4 amp. I buy all of my albums at the flea market and then wash them with a Spin Clean record washer.

Many of albums sound GREAT, but there are an increasing number of albums that sound distorted to me. I've played around with reducing the output of the Pearl 2 by putting a resistor in the C15 position. While it does reduce the output level from the Pearl, the albums that sounded distorted beforehand still sound distorted to me. One of them was a sealed Frank Sinatra album, so it can't really be record wear that I am hearing.

I presume that some albums are just cut better than others, but I have a handful now that sound terrible. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Hello Eric,

You mean R15 not C15 I guess ;)

With that particular cart you throw too much level into Pearl II to get undistorted at the output at stock gain setting, this is why on high level records you get saturation.

You should keep the looped gain down- it's unlikely the 1st stage that overloads -

With 5mV cart you may try to lower the looped gain by 40 dB total, it still gives a x100 voltage so about 0,5V at line outputs, comfortable to use everyday.
To do this just use the maths. R15 is a piece of wire unless you want more gain, so adding a resistor here will increase your 'problem' instead of curing it.
(This feature is reserved to MC low output cart owners to get their sound level back).
If you add more R to R15 print (series with R16) you push up closed loop gain (and get closer to open loop in fact, so higher noise, distortion and such).

Basically, gain of the 2nd stage is ratio of R16/R14 so 100/1 means x100 stock so 40 dB. Plus gain on the first stage with is about 15 dB if I can recall.

Maybe 5mV with 40 dB gain on the 2nd stage (and about 55 total) will be too much for your ears for a real 'clean' sound.

So, you can lower R16 to about 66k to get about 36 dB gain on that stage, sufficient with your cart. To do so, either change R16 with desired value, or just parallel a 200k to R16. :)

After doing this, recheck DC points and 0V after warm-up as a different gain setting can affect points.

Keep us informed about the sound :)

Best,

nAr