Pearl Two

Attachments

• Willie-Nelson-u10.jpg
    Willie-Nelson-u10.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,908
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pearl Two ready

OK I have finally built and tested the production Pearl II boards.
Looks good. We will be ready to ship as soon as we figure out cost and how $ to lose on each one. Kit will be both boards and the semiconductors.
EQ curve is like the original Pearl within +\- .15 dB gain is higher at 52 dB.
Front end gain is 35 dB and 40 dB secondary with about -20 dB EQ loss.
The gain is higher than Pearl and can go even higher.

More to follow.

OK I have finally built and tested the production Pearl II boards.
Looks good. We will be ready to ship as soon as we figure out cost and how $ to lose on each one. Kit will be both boards and the semiconductors.
EQ curve is like the original Pearl within +\- .15 dB gain is higher at 52 dB.
Front end gain is 35 dB and 40 dB secondary with about -20 dB EQ loss.
The gain is higher than Pearl and can go even higher.

More to follow.

Very good news, thanks Wayne. Will it be possible to reach 60-64 db of gain?

Would balanced output be possible?

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but I am interested in building a phono stage with balanced output. Would it be possible to perhaps use two boards and have a balanced output with the Pearl II?

Thank you so much for making your work available to DIYers. It is great to have such well designed and supported projects to work on. I enjoyed building and using the B1 and I look forward to the Pearl II.

Aaron.

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but I am interested in building a phono stage with balanced output. Would it be possible to perhaps use two boards and have a balanced output with the Pearl II?

Thank you so much for making your work available to DIYers. It is great to have such well designed and supported projects to work on. I enjoyed building and using the B1 and I look forward to the Pearl II.

Aaron.

You could build an Ono, it is balanced.

Thanks, I was just curious. I'm sure it will sound great single ended, and it will be cheaper to build ; ). Ultimately I would like to build a balanced phono pre, but I would love to build the Pearl II even if I can't make it balanced. There don't seem to be a lot of true balanced designs for phono preamps available to the DIY community, it must be a difficult to design and implement. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Aaron.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There don't seem to be a lot of true balanced designs for phono preamps available to the DIY community, it must be a difficult to design and implement.

The difficulty is that they don't make balanced cartridges, and
without a center-tap ground, the problems with input common
mode noise render it impractical unless you use an input
transformer.

:cool: