Pearl Two

- we should spam Wayne ;)

Wait for the Pearl II, maybe you won't need a stepup for low-MC's.
The Pearl and the 640P are both winners in their class, but the Pearl is way better. (sub $1000 class if you want to buy a similair finished product:mad:)
Another higher class would be the ONO.
I hope Wayne constructs a dedicated supply for the Pearl II like he did for the Pearl I, otherwise I would still go for the Pearl I.

The pearl is very different to the Ono ;)

The pearl is mostly a series stack of two Ono MC-front ends (4x paralleled K170, 2x paralleled jfets in K389) without negative feedback. The Ono has the same front end, goes into a differential as 2nd stage and uses a p-channel mosfet as inverter to drive the source followers. Oh and it uses a little feedback back to the differential.

about 5x the parts cost.

John Curl keeps repeating that an amp costs only about 1/4 of its retail price to produce and about half of that (1/8) is actual parts cost (other 1/8 is labour). Anyway, both numbers are depressing ;)

Have fun, Hannes

Some folks have a problem shaking their military ways. :clown:

(who needs Harry-H with me around)

Attachments

• major-payne.jpg
    major-payne.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,172
Joined 2004
Paid Member
well, he obviously hasn't got around to it yet. The design has got to be reasonably low on his list of priorities (have to pay the bills!) so whenever it comes along, thats when you'll get it.

Fran

Exactly. The Pearl Two is a precious gift to the DIY-community and we should be patient and thankful. This is a public forum and no one owes anyone an answer.

Geduld (ist eine Tugend)

My phono stage tanked a few months ago and while I am (still) waiting on this one, I bought this one:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/151938-phono-stage.html

I will report back on the sound in that forum, but am using a slightly different BOM and power supply.

Looks very interesting, the lack of loading options on the Audio Sector phono (in my experience makes big changes in the sound with various MC carts) is what has me waiting for the Pearl 2 :)