Pearl Two

Hey guys... Just wondering if anyone has any idea approximately how much the Pearl 2 will cost to build. Obviously not including casing and stuff, but just the boards, FETs and basic components to get it going. Just thinking how much to put away for when the BOM comes out...

Thanks!
Taz.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hey guys... Just wondering if anyone has any idea approximately how much the Pearl 2 will cost to build. Obviously not including casing and stuff, but just the boards, FETs and basic components to get it going. Just thinking how much to put away for when the BOM comes out...

Thanks!
Taz.

Well, the boards and The 4 matched fets are 200. The board, which Wayne posted a link to, shows all the parts except a resistor and a cap whose value isnt stated. Just go to your favorite supplier and get prices for every thing but the supplied fets, and double it and add to the original 200. Oh, and a transformer of some sort.

Russellc

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well, the boards and The 4 matched fets are 200. The board, which Wayne posted a link to, shows all the parts except a resistor and a cap whose value isnt stated. Just go to your favorite supplier and get prices for every thing but the supplied fets, and double it and add to the original 200. Oh, and a transformer of some sort.

Russellc

4 matched fets a channel, but I see 6 places for them?

What is the raw DC voltage to the board - 40 vdc?
And where are we finding those 5pf caps these days ? (no silver micas- prefer polystyrenes)

Regards
David

If you use LM7824 then the MAX is 40V. The 78xx drop out voltage is ~2V, so anything above 26V is OK. Need some room for AC line variation, so nominally 30V is about right. I plan to use 24V transformer, which will get me ~ 32VDC into the regs.

teflon coated wire being used as a cap?

Just twist two pieces of wire and cut them off for the desired capacitance value(for which you'll need a capacitance measuring thinges)

PTFE trimmer caps have gotten harder to obtain, i buy that stuff in every available value for two bits to two quarters overhere, but regular suppliers usually have only high value types left.
High pF versions can be modified to a lower value by someone handy enough.
Philips BC also made pretty plastic covers for these things, for protection against ambient agents, but even harder to find by the average Joe.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I suppose only 4 need to be matched. I dont know which ones, but I suspect its the two that are facing each other. ( 2 on each board) I'll have to wait for the article before I can build, but am anxious to start!;)

Russellc

Each board requires four matched 2SK370 jfets at the input.

See post #322 for schematic.

Attachments

• Pearl Input 1.JPG
    Pearl Input 1.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited: