Pearl Two

Does anyone know of a low noise replacement for the 7824/7924 voltage regulators?

I was planning on using LM317/337 simply because I have some on hand. They've been said to be better than 78xx/79xx regulators, but I doubt they are *very* much better.

That said, there is a fair amount of room on the PCB if someone wanted to improvise a small discrete daughter board or some such thing :)

I would love to see a pic of your P2P when finished. I've done it with tubes, but I just dont have familiarity with P2P with these tiny SS parts. Would love to see this done!
Here's a deadbug build of Joe Curcio's LM4562-based preamp from National's app note 1651 that I made last year. I designed a circuit board and redid it a few months ago. Building deadbug style and designing a PCB were both new experiences for me.

- Eric

Attachments

• phono preamp (deadbug).jpg
    phono preamp (deadbug).jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 1,338
  • phono preamp (PCB).jpg
    phono preamp (PCB).jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 1,316
  • phono preamp in chassis (PCB).jpg
    phono preamp in chassis (PCB).jpg
    411 KB · Views: 1,279
  • phono preamp detail (deadbug).jpg
    phono preamp detail (deadbug).jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 1,240
There is also the setting of 5k variable resistor P1 to consider....

There's a TP & note in the silk to set P1 for 0 volts. So that's taken care of. Just need to figure out how to calc Cx & Rx. (I'm still confused by Cx. I need to brush up big time on my circuit analysis.)

But it's so much easier to wait for Wayne and Mr. N.P. :)
[...] time because a lot of the captured graphics have to be
hand-jobbed to be clearly legible. It's almost done...
:cool:
(uh... not holding my breath, but I'm sure it'll be done in due time):xeye:

Thanks!
-Chris

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the response. I may have to look a bit more on that B1. I would love it if there was a place to by the housing and components at one shot (or at least a complete list). There probably is but I have not looked around as of yet.

James

Cntact member Westend. If he still has some of the extrusion left, he makes a dandy box. Mine was very reasonable.

Russellc

Well I was lucky enough to find a link in the B1 section that took me over to a page on Audio Circle that has a BOM for it. I will slowly start to purchase everything for the B1 and Pearl 2. Since this is my first endeavor into this type of work I want to take it slow and not overwhelm myself. Heck, reading half of what you guys write makes me want to go back into my little hole.

James