Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Got the PS running. Next up is the umbilical then finishing out the actual preamp part.
IMG_2088.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
The GF is a keeper. When we moved to the new rental she flat out stated I was to go to Home Depot, buy some workbenches and set up shop in the extra bedroom. I think she knew I needed to be working on something even though we hadn't bought our settle-in home yet.

After the umbilical, back to practicing SMDs.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you build the kit with the provided parts it will work just fine. If you use some other input devices like the LSK or BF862 etc the collector load resistor can be adjusted as well as the cascode voltage. It doesn't show up in measurements but might in sims.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't tested it in this particular circuit, but I am using OPA1656 in my Chipomatic RIAA preamp with great results.

OPA1656 is as "accurate while slightly euphonic" as it gets IMHO, to my taste of course. While OPA1612 (no FET though, can be a problem in some cases...) is probably amongst the most neutral and very transparent & accurate OPAs I know (you can easily add it to a circuit without even noting/hearing it), I still prefer a small tad of warmth when it comes to RIAA preamps, especialy given the (non forgiving) nature of the vinyls I own...

Note we are talking nuances here, both OPAs are "accurate and neutral" generaly speaking... all these modern OPAs are trully amazing and a majour step forward - at least to my ears - vs what we had to play with decades ago...

What I like in this RIAA preamp (as in mine) is the ability to play with flavours / adjust your system to your liking... by simply rolling op amps - genius strike by Wayne and Jim !

All IMHO and IME

Enjoy OPA1656... and most importantly music

Claude

Reactions: 5 users

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I wouldn’t worry at all about that, C2 sets a HF roll off way above audible to make sure nothing strange happens at RF.

Out of curiosity, what are you measuring with? I don't have anything that can accurately read 5pF... wish I did.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Both (color and mono) my Mega328 are reading it as no, unknown, or damaged. They both test fine. (which is discouraging...)

My 5-digit DMM doesn't have the proper leads to read a cap that small, I can't get repeatable readings much smaller than 100pF.