Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

A question about the value of the R27. With a resistor value of 750 ohms, I get the values 3.97 mA on one circuit board and 3.74 mA on the other. There is therefore a difference of approximately 0.23 mA between those channels. Are these values good enough or should I match them more closely?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Measurement taken off single ended output.

Jumper off (high gain)
Switch 1 ON (50 ohm input impedance)
fc 1kHz
Vin 0.328 mVrms
Vout 1.0 Vrms
Gain 69.7 dB
THD < 0.0002 percent mostly second harmonic

Repeated on other channel to be sure.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 4.08.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 4.30.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Jumper off (high gain)
fc 1kHz
Vin 0.328 mVrms
Vout 1.0 Vrms
Gain 69.7 dB

Repeated on other channel to be sure.

View attachment 1304810

View attachment 1304820

Hello,

Give us a peek at the headroom.

Turn up the input voltage until the harmonics are up out of the noise floor.

If that RTX6001 analyzer has an oscilloscope function turn up the input voltage until we see a little clipping.

Thanks DT

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't decided yet. I'll wait to see how it sounds and decide then how much I want to invest. In any case, I'll almost certainly keep the PSU out of sight; and only have the RIAA on display. I've been using a Salas Simplistic NJFET RIAA that I built around 2016. That's in a Hammond walnut enclosure. If the Pearl 3 is a keeper, I'd consider redoing the Salas enclosure to house the Pearl 3. I'm waiting on a few connectors then the Pearl will be ready to text.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Give us a peek at the headroom.
Of course headroom depends on the jumper and switches settings. I measured with jumper OFF (high gain) and all switches OFF. For these settings clipping starts at just over 3 mV rms (8.6 mV peak-peak) input. Pearl 3 output remains clean (THD < 0.004 percent) until 9.1 Vrms out. Clipping occurs (THD ~ 0.2 percent) at 9.4 Vrms i.e. when the output swing of +/- 13.3V approaches the +/-15V output stage supply rails.

Bottom line, no surprises. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
If you purchased a Pearl 3 kit and need the parts for the power supply please see the link below and/or send me a PM. I ended up buying 65 transformers from a pro audio manufacturer who went another direction on a product. It happens to be the exact transformer used in the Pearl 3 design. As of now I have over 50 kits available. I may end up putting these on my Etsy store, but you can save a few bucks sending me a message directly.

Pearl 3 Power Supply Kit Group Buy
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...o-crcrc-power-supply-parts-kit.406461/page-12

Jumper off (high gain)
fc 1kHz
Vin 0.328 mVrms
Vout 1.0 Vrms
Gain 69.7 dB

Hello,

I have built and measured multiple iterations of the Pearl 3 Vinyl Pre-Amplifier.

The Capacitance multiplier, cascode, JFETS and feedback loops that include discrete transistors are all fun to dissect and wrap your head around.

The Pearl-3 has two levels of gain; high and very high. Reducing the gain by adjusting the resistor values in the feedback loop has the high cost of increasing distortion.

If you use the jumper to select the P-3 low gain of 50 db's and use a mc cartridge this setting will allow overhead for vinyl clicks and pops.

It was pointed out that the level of gain depends on your system.

The common system gain is summed across a Vinyl Pre-Amplifier, a pre-amplifier and a power-amplifier. The final output is controlled by at least one Volume Pot some where in the chain.

A issue that I see is that most of the gain is in the pre-pre-amplifier not leaving any headroom for clicks and pops on the vinyl. The pre-amp even if it has only a few dB's of gain is still too much and needs a lot of attenuation to avoid overdriving the power-amp.

My vinyl collection is mostly well used over the years and or purchased used. My TT is a DJ workhorse and the cartridge is a mid range mm.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Watched another YouTube re. soldering SMDs, this fellow put a light coat of solder on 1 pad, heated it and when the solder starts to melt puts the SMD in place w/ tweezers. Of course he hammers home the importance of flux! Looks to be a good way to approach them if using an iron. In an effort to be thorough, once that side sets, 2 sec or so, he solders the other leg and then comes back to the first 1.
Typical method. When I tried that method on BA2018, worked great. When I tried it here, the first tiny pad I touched vaporized! No problem just resoldered the area, tested continuity just fine.

For this piece, I just stuck the back to a thin piece of tape. Arranged it so the two legs in middle of pads. Iron solder on work and tiny pad, solder flows, done. Remove tap, do third leg and touch up. These parts aren't that tiny as far as and parts are concerned and soldering them was easy.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Reducing the gain by adjusting the resistor values in the feedback loop has the high cost of increasing distortion.
[...]

Respectfully, I don't think that for a same low level input signal (same cartridge) this is correct.

Jumper on (low gain)
fc 1kHz
Vin 0.328 mVrms
Vout 0.11 Vrms
Gain 50.5 dB

Looking at the RTA, and for a same Vin, I see no difference in distortion compared to post #3166 showing the high gain setting. In either case, it is so low as to be very hard to measure reliably.

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 8.42.36 AM.png

Respectfully, I don't think that for a same low level input signal (same cartridge) this is correct.

Jumper on (low gain)
fc 1kHz
Vin 0.328 mVrms
Vout 0.11 Vrms
Gain 50.5 dB

Looking at the RTA, and for a same Vin, I see no difference in distortion compared to post #3166 showing the high gain setting. In either case, it is so low as to be very hard to measure reliably.

Hello,
Same as my results.

The Pioneer kit P-3 has a gain:
of 70ish with the J2 jumper removed.
of 50ish with the J2 jumper in place.

Try placing a 100R resistor at the C16 location in parallel with R22. The gain is reduced by 4 dB to about 46 dB while the distortion takes a big hit.

Why?

When the feedback loop resistance is reduced the U1:A current increases past a point where the OP-Amp will operate with low distortion. I used a OPA 1656 that on the data sheet is good for 100ma.

The short story is that there is a limit to gain adjustment by switching to lower resistance values in the OP-Amp feedback loop.

If you want the long story take a look in D Self's discussion of active Op-Amp volume control in "Small Signal Audio Design" FOURTH EDITION.

Thanks DT

Last edited: