• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pavel Dudek's super Gainclone group buy

Colour of the pcb

• Black

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • White

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Red

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Blue

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Yellow

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Green

Votes: 13 15.9%

• Total voters
Upupa Epops said:
To jaybombalous : replace foil capacitors C11 and C15 by electrolyt type ( see text and BOM ) - with foil type is low frequency of amp too high - see again instruction manual...

Pavel,

In the manual you refer to C14 (1u - treble, 47u - regular).
Was it meant C11/C15?
No remark on bridged mode (rather than parrallel, but I assume it's the same as on stereo/active).

Just now I noticed the original BOM in english-excel format... answered some of my questions (although I got to the same conclusion about the screws/washer).

yeah ex007, no problem at all. Really u did a great service.

PA - excuse me for asking to make sure I am doing the right thing or lack there of... This is my second project that I have ever done and I was just asking some questions. I do not have the hundreds and thousands of hours into selecting electronic components like the rest of u geniuses.

To me the TO - 220 mica insulator, whatever, will not fit correctly on the back of the LM4780, I was looking for something else... Or a better answer. Maybe I am just so new, I just don't get it...

Thermal washers

jaybombalous,
What he is saying is that the LM4780 comes in an un-insulated package and thus needs further insulation if it will be exposed. You are fine to just mount it to the heatsink with a mica washer and a little thermal compound.

Donovan

Peranders,
In reading your first response it looks like you were saying that it was an insulated package ("all plastic"). I think that's where the confusion was coming from. In checking the datasheet I see that it is in fact not insulated, so will need a mica washer only if exposed.

Guys, don't you ever read the datasheet if you want some facts?

Note 14: The TA27A is a non-isolated package. The package’s metal back, and any heat sink to which it is mounted are connected to the V- potential when using
only thermal compound. If a mica washer is used in addition to thermal compound, ?CS (case to sink) is increased, but the heat sink will be electrically isolated from
V-.
Note 15: DC electrical test.

Meaning = NOT insulated!

Actually I hoped I can build this project without looking too much into the specs and without searching too much for components (that's why I try to help the others on the components BOM).

I don't tend to build too many amps (In the Jacomo article you posted on your site, as the daughters boyfriend, I would be with the daughter and NOT by the computer...).

I've chosen Pavel's gainclone to be my main amp(s) as it looked very promissing.

I think the best way for others to learn (the design and in general) is after receiving all the components,
And I think Pavel's amp does worth building, even for beginners.

Send me a link to the page where I can buy a mica washer for a LM4780 chip. All the mica washers I seen will not fit, or at least don't look like they will.

This is my only problem, someone just post a god damn link to a mica washer so I can buy it all ready.

Irregardless of whether I need it or not, its in the BOM, so can someone please post a link to a mica washer I can buy for my LM4780 chip. Anyone...

BTW, I don't plan on putting the amp in a case right away, so thats why I wanna isolate the chip, so I can isolate the heat sink from me doing dumb **** when its running and blowing it up.

Ok, so now I understand it a little more... I have yet to see these impregnated silicone washers...

Now all makes sense, just confusing when someone expects me to know how to accomplish something when I have never done it before or even seen it done before.

Thanks ppcblaster for a link so I could at least research the type of material I need.

jaybombalous said:
Ok, so now I understand it a little more... I have yet to see these impregnated silicone washers...

Now all makes sense, just confusing when someone expects me to know how to accomplish something when I have never done it before or even seen it done before.

Thanks ppcblaster for a link so I could at least research the type of material I need.

jaybombalous,

Here is the exact item you are looking for
http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Bergquist/Web photos/Q3-67, 101.jpg

Available from Digi-Key as part number BER136-ND
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T072/P1013.pdf for $0.49\ea

As others have said there are many ways to deal with this but you can never go wrong buying the correct item!

Bob G.

peranders said:
If you plan to use it in heavy duty, it may be better to use 18 VAC but since the IC has over temperature protection you can use a higher voltage and possibly experience distortion at real high output power but the amp will not die.

Looking at the LM4780 specs I understand that higher the better.
If the IC has over temp protection I don't understand why not use 25vac even on high load applications?

I'm just about to order the toroids and I thought of a toroid that can be used in mono & stereo modes (25vac, 24vac, 22vac?).