Pass SLOB Build Discussion

Pretty old crappy photo (photo was taken at night with crap camera), but you get the idea.

233a0a72cd8fd13ec1d8e8361dcb92f7.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Both are roughly built..nothing glued.
I will work on proper stands.

Oh yeah I already like them (well the new toy excitation perhaps).
But, no box give a lot of air, details, reverb....that I didn't have when the fullrange alone were boxed.

Bass seems well integrated (I guess they need some break-in before giving their best).

B5 looks handy and lovely....

What is the theory behind the mix of front and down firing bass?

The slot loaded woofer firing down at the floor is an extremely efficient way to achieve extended frequency response into the low octaves say between 20Hz to 40Hz. This is normally very hard to achieve on a narrow baffle. So this is a bonus.
However the vertically firing woofer gives more accurate reproduction of bass notes. Sound closer to the real instrument.
Combine the 2 and you have the best of both worlds and touch would get rid of my digital Eq.
I like getting rid of stuff. Hahaha

Besides all of that 2x15" more faithfully reproduces the full dynamic weight of bass and percussion instruments.
Probably will come down to what music you love to listen to.
I played bass guitar in a band for many years so this is important to me.

Last edited:
When I first thought of this arrangement, I've thought about this a little bit.
But eventually we get about four-meter wave length for 80Hz.
Room acoustics, OB and listener position are much more important, isn't it?

The problem is. You want a narrow baffle, which ordinarily will destroy the frequency response, so hence the addition of the down firing slot loaded woofer.
Adding 2 x 15" (it could be even 2 x 12") is what it takes to reproduce the dynamic weight of drumming, percussion, and bass. If you play bass or drums you will know exactly what I am talking about.

If you listen to girly music probably not important to you.
If you like this stuff then absolutely important. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eadRGsXjM0

Last edited:
That one what you showed, it is for sissies as Zen would say. ;)

That one you showed is not really music :p , but yeah you also want dual woofers.
Reminds me of a scene out of Crocodile Dundee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W09ghiWskUk
hahaha

Not many drummers would describe Dennis Chambers drumming style as sissy, but I suppose, it's all in the ear of the beholder. :)

Last edited: