Pass SLOB Build Discussion

Joined 2013
Paid Member
curves for the Moth version of the SLOB.

I've read and re-read the 2022 Speaker Camp pdf file, When I look at the Moth curves, I don't imagine the xover curves in this pdf. I would have selected filters to reduce the 5 - 10K hump with a center point of 7K, obviously I would have been so far off point. For me as a DIY'er, this always intimidates me and makes me very reluctant to experiment.

Any suggestions?

Here are some measurements that I took with a UMIK1 in REW with 1/6 smoothing. First is just the Moth in the SLOB with and without EQ measured at 1 foot on axis. Pretty much looks like Papa's to me.
mothInSlob1footOnAxis.jpg

One thing I noticed, but didn't capture was that the highs drop off dramatically when measured off axis...as expected.

Then I measured one SLOB from the listening position with the woofer. I realize that this is too much bass, but I wasn't as concerned about the bass as I was the mids.
SLOBinRoom.jpg

I haven't had a chance to try the resistor is series with the speaker yet. I will also try putting cotton in between the whizzer and the cone. There is really only one thing that bothers me...Sometimes everything sounds great and then the vocals come in and it sounds harsh/distorted. Some vocals are fine...CSN is not so great.

Reactions: 1 users
You have in effect an inverse BBC dip, so not strange your vocals sound harsh. If the resistor trick doesn’t work, Nelson has both made the circuit he just posted that will probably fix your issues. Or you could try his FR EQ circuit available for pennies in the store.

Last edited: