Pass "DeLite" Amp from BAF

Delite with 2 light bulb

I just wire up Delite Amp on a piece of plywood. The power supply voltage is DC 64V. Two light blub per channel (parallel). One of the light blub is 110V 200W, the other light blub is 240V 500W. The sound is warm, better than my zenlite.

Attachments

• Delite.jpg
    Delite.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 1,162
  • Delite pic2.jpg
    Delite pic2.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 1,126
  • Delite pic3.jpg
    Delite pic3.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 1,114
  • Delite pic 4.jpg
    Delite pic 4.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 940
Last edited:
So, Is the ZV3 supply the best start here?, Or is there a simpler opportunity.
I am no genius with regulated supplies, and could use some help here.

I could be patient and wait for an article...:p

Nelson's ZV3 article is THE article. I learned a lot from this tutorial and applied it in the amp I took to BAF 09. The article also points out how to modulate the voltage supply to augment the output. I discovered that with my amp (balanced choke loaded follower), the output (low voltage) was severely limited by the regulated supply voltage (also low voltage). By modulating the voltage regulator, I was able to swing higher output voltages without bumping into the regulated +V barrier (which is lower than the raw +V supply--wouldn't want to confuse the two). All this can be yours by reading ZV3, my hitchhiking friend. :D

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
To John the Carpenter, Heavy Amp builder

Nelson's ZV3 article is THE article. I learned a lot from this tutorial and applied it in the amp I took to BAF 09. The article also points out how to modulate the voltage supply to augment the output. I discovered that with my amp (balanced choke loaded follower), the output (low voltage) was severely limited by the regulated supply voltage (also low voltage). By modulating the voltage regulator, I was able to swing higher output voltages without bumping into the regulated +V barrier (which is lower than the raw +V supply--wouldn't want to confuse the two). All this can be yours by reading ZV3, my hitchhiking friend. :D

Carpenter, I have read that a few times lately, letting it slowly try to absorb into my mind. I built a few variations of the V9 chunk Vix sent me and the first on on the V3, powers up nice and slowly to full voltage, however, when I hook it up to an output cap, it's nadda current. I need to play with this a bit more, and re-read.

What I don't want to do with this amp is make a really complicated power supply, as I think it would discourage some newbee's from thinking it's needed. Of course I think Nelson is really the man to disseminate that message.

Work's been crazy in my world, where vacation times mean technology changes occur behind the scenes..Need to be alert when plating with electicity.:eek::eek:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I hate outputs caps--guess that's why I go the balanced route...and you should stop taking such long vacations! :D

Oh man, my post made no sense.

I've been busy with work with all these Info Tech customers doing hardware/software transitions during the holidays. I dont usually take long vacations, just lots of small ones.

Also, although the De-Lite has an output cap, I meant to say that the little reg I built similiar to the first one in ZenV3 creates voltage, unless connected to the amp, then no current. So I did something wrong. I conntected the little reg side cap (not charger) to a channel of the amp, and then measures no juice. I need to look at it again. I usually walk away and work on something else when I get stumped. Then start reviewing articles, data and importantly - wiring. Of course maybe the reg just doesn't like lightbulbs.:p

I am glad a few of you are enjoying your D-Fets.

Woodturner, all you have to do is forget that your transformer has a center tap and
not use it and you have a 36v transformer. Or you could use the center tap and build a + and - 24v supply but in this case leave the center tap and it's conection
to the 2 caps floating and ground the -24v output you get 48v this way and can use
35v caps for this first filter bank.

Thanks, ill be trying it later.

For those in 240v countries I have done some simple measurements on a range of lamps. 60w lamps measure about 90r. 100w comes in at 40r. 150w halogen stick type was 30r. Lastly I measured a few 500w halogen sticks which varied from 12r to 19r. So it would seem 2 in parallel to give 250w or so is a sensible Target.

Fran

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Nope, I am trying a modified Salas Reg now, but still need some parts.
Impressions on sound. It does not sound very similiar to other first watt's I've heard IMO.
F2-F5.
Maybe it sounds a bit like an F2. It's dynamic with a vigor or energetic feel to me. Not too refined as say F3 and F5. I think the distortions add some good flavor to it, and it's a nice sounding FET as well. Just opinions. Power Supply in CRC mode was important to me to get the noise down to low levels. I look forward to seeing what this reg can do.