Pass "DeLite" Amp from BAF

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I built something quite similar using the IRFP240 throughout. Still playing nice, being fed by a surplus 24VDC/10A linear power supply. I am planning to add a 'soft start' in my next build to eliminate 'thumps' at start-up. Forum member Geek shows how to do it here, and I see no reason why it shouldn't work for schem posted in post 605. Or am I am missing something?

Something similar with all IRFP240 would be close to the original zen, wouldn't it?

Stefano, no reason it shouldn't work with IRFP044... if I recall correctly, the only difference there is lower max voltage. But we shouldn't be exceeding that limit here.

I thought you were replacing only the CCS FET with 044. You replaced both and it still works?

Doesn't the 044 need 4V of Vgs to get going? It would need a different bias arrangement that the 6N50D2.

O sorry for that: when I said both , it was the " stereo " set . To have 2 channels with the same current source . Same bias arrangement , same D fet in the lower part . :)

Great to have a definitive (for the moment) diagram.

Thank you Stefano (and goes without saying: thank you Papa too)

indeed welcome Mr Variac . Yes goes without saying , this amp with CCS is surprisingly good to me , fast and extremely detailed in the music presentation , with an exemplar phase coerence overall the tones . Am I saying too much ? Probably jejejeje .

So , many thanks !!! :)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The maximum V+ is dependent on how much voltage your
parts will take and how much dissipation you can afford.

40 volts will get you about 15+ watts into 8 ohms with a
dissipation of about 40v X 2A = 80 watts distributed between
the gain device and the current source.

:cool:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
hey guys,

I finally got to building this amp with the CCS. It is working but the top end is coming out distorted. The bass and mid-bass sound wonderful, but the presence region (2k-5k) sounds awful and the absolute top is almost non-existent. I'm thinking this is because of the non-linear gate capacitance of the FETs.

The circuit is attached. Q2 is IRFP240 and Q1 is IXTH6N50D2. Supply at 30V, drain on Q1 is at 20V. I'm driving it straight from the CD player.

There is certainly more power, but the top end distortion is just too high right now. Any ideas?

Attachments

• FIGURE CS IRFP.png
    FIGURE CS IRFP.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 553
hey guys,

I finally got to building this amp with the CCS. It is working but the top end is coming out distorted. The bass and mid-bass sound wonderful, but the presence region (2k-5k) sounds awful and the absolute top is almost non-existent. I'm thinking this is because of the non-linear gate capacitance of the FETs.

The circuit is attached. Q2 is IRFP240 and Q1 is IXTH6N50D2. Supply at 30V, drain on Q1 is at 20V. I'm driving it straight from the CD player.

There is certainly more power, but the top end distortion is just too high right now. Any ideas?

You may try to verify the polarity of C3 , and set the output dc at 15 volt of course with different values of the pot R7 .

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
hey guys,

I think your current source is probably fine, but you want to probably set
the Drain at 1/2 the supply.

The problem is very likely the input capacitance of the Mosfet - it wants
to see a low source impedance, and perhaps your CD player has a high
output impedance. You could consider a Jfet for a buffer.

:cool:

Hi ra7,

what are you using to control the volume? I don't see a potentiometer in your schematic, but you probably have one? If that is the case, what is the value? I can be wrong, but a high valued pot (like 250k or higher) will have a relatively high output impedance that can't drive the mosfets input capacitance. Use a lower value pot, or alternatively, try to play your amp from the (adjustable) headphone output (which is low impedance output) to see if distortion is still frequency dependent.