Pass "DeLite" Amp from BAF

Well, this is an interesting project. I got everything, or almost. I'll have a slow start (I am using a monobloc configuration with 2 Antek 4438, will add a slow start for each, 2 300watts light bulbs, and hopefully, diy heatsinks (not done yet).

I expect trouble, and I dream of this thing at night. Newbie as I am, hopefully this won't turn into a nightmare. I hope to match this with a Quickie from Bottlehead, and hear music through 206es-r blh.

Nelson Pass, you make my life exciting.

In simple designs, quality of every component affect not only measurable distortions, but also subjective sound quality. So, further modifications to this disign could be predicted - decent resistors in TO-247 case, heatsinks, shunty power supply, CCS load, modulated CCS, input buffer stage, some NFB ...

this reminds me of the story of the soup .. the homeless guy comes to town hungry. Offers to cook a delicious soup that tastes fantastic but is very simple and uses only hot water and a round stone. So the rich man's chef invites him in. He boils up the water with the stone and says, hmmm, maybe a little salt. And so it starts and the design grows with "further modifications" until it is indeed a tasty feast...

Of course, we know that Nelson's soup tastes good even with a rock in it :D

... And so it starts and the design grows with "further modifications" until it is indeed a tasty feast...
Of course, we know that Nelson's soup tastes good even with a rock in it :D

Nice soup analogy ... :) But Nelson's new SiC "rock" is definitely a new level compared to IRFP240, and thanks God we have him among other gurus, who could push DIYers towards hundred-transistor schematics without any chance for good sound, except for the cases of super high execution quality, unachievable for DIYers.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I tried an IRFP240 and a South Semi R100 in the Enhanced mode (47k from gate to drain, not gate to source) sounded good, but distorted fairly quickly.Tried 10k and 100k resistors with the same results. Voltage was 55v

Yeah. Five watts is still only 5 watts. Maybe I should do an
offensively powerful amplifier (about time...)

:cool:

I failed to mention, that swapping back in the the D-Fet, and was not so distorted, so the circuit works well.

Now thinking about some CCS instead of lightbulbs. Maybe kind-of F2 style.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am thinking slow startup of F2 ccs (no thump), and shrinking my layout a bit to fit into my small style chassis 12X8X10 inches. Of course some values probably need to be modified in F2 CCS to adapt to higher voltage. I think the ZTX 550 might be pushed to the limit. A BC546 might be better suited, but not much. Looking at the schematic of F2, one looks to be able to R6 to 47k, C1 to 10 uf, Run Source resistors at 1R 15W. Eliminate some portion of other resistors.
Thoughts?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
De-Lite with CCS idea stolen from F2

Here is what I was thinking. I am not sure if this would even work, much less be anything near optimal. Any comments?

Attachments

• F2-DepletionIdeaTeaBag.JPG
    F2-DepletionIdeaTeaBag.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 625