Paradise Builders

Just to be clear

IMHO the Paradise is a very special piece of kit.

I’ve read that quite a few pretty expensive phono stages have bitten the dust after people have heard the Paradise and now I can understand why.

I’ve also heard it described as ‘’the HIFI bargain of the century’’ and that’s just what it is.

‘’Like having a complete system upgrade’’ yup spot on.

So Joachim, Frans, Alfred and Werner step forward and receive the DIY medal of honour for all of the hard work that you’ve put into making my musical satisfaction complete.

And finish with two questions.

How often do we receive such a wonderful gift all wrapped up with a nice red bow on it? Nothing asked for in return and everything given out of generosity. Let’s have some more of other people’s impressions of the sound.

Good or not so good.

2)

Where is the matching PRE?

Great work guys
now that's what I call a ramble Alfred:lickface:

Your report makes me really happy.
There was a fitting preamp circuit that Calvin made.
I just do not know if we find the time again to do this all over again and make a DIY preamp.

I am now started on my Paradise...at last. :) [So far just matching components and getting my hand in again at soldering practice on old peg boards with redundant components; but I think that I am too old to work with SBDs]

A really nice pre would interest me enormously. Has Calvin's design been published as 'public domain' (if so, where can it be found) or is it one of his retail only units?

IF some brave - reliable - soul could take on a pretty big group buy I for one of such a group would be very happy!;):)

@Schoom:

Delighted that you are so impressed with your Paradise. Hard work has had a great reward. Joachim and his team of helpers/codesigners/GP organisers have made one of the best ever contributions to the DIY sector.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
When you use the calvin buffer,the temp. seems to be a bit om the high side....
Is it beter to use a bigger heastsink?

the one used is the fisher sk482 75

http://www.fischerelektronik.de/fileadmin/fischertemplates/download/Katalog/heatsinks.pdf

page A86.

And what to use.:D

Actually, the temperature should be lower (if nothing else changed), as more load current is dissipated in the amplifier, and less in the shunt regulator. Did you measure the temperature once settled? Or did you reduce the power resistors in the shunt?

I am now started on my Paradise...at last. :) [So far just matching components and getting my hand in again at soldering practice on old peg boards with redundant components; but I think that I am too old to work with SBDs]

A really nice pre would interest me enormously. Has Calvin's design been published as 'public domain' (if so, where can it be found) or is it one of his retail only units?

IF some brave - reliable - soul could take on a pretty big group buy I for one of such a group would be very happy!;):)

@Schoom:

Delighted that you are so impressed with your Paradise. Hard work has had a great reward. Joachim and his team of helpers/codesigners/GP organisers have made one of the best ever contributions to the DIY sector.

Hi Brian

The SMD work is not so hard :) just grab yourself a 10x Jewellers loop to make checking your work easy.

If you don’t fancy it then we always have the postal service to fall back on.;);)

I've had my Paradise in use for some time now and am still regularly struck by how good it is. Yesterday, (thanks to sq225917) I made the OPA627 replacement and was pleasantly surprised to find that it seemed to make a worthwhile subjective (as opposed to technical) improvement.

I've been an audio enthusiast for about 30 years now and have heard a huge amount of equipment, I've run hi-fi shops, designed and built stuff and generally involved myself in every way :). When I was loaned a built up Paradise to try I wasn't honestly expecting a great deal - however, my expectations were quickly dispelled once I auditioned it. I didn't actually want to get involved in an elaborate electronics project but the performance was so obviously above my previous expectation that I simply had no choice. To be clear, this is absolutely the finest phonostage, by a significant margin, I have ever heard. The fact that this is a DIY design is even more amazing and the highest praise should go to all those involved (I don't write this lightly as I am not prone to 'praise').

As an aside, I was surprised that some have found an issue with excess hiss, I certainly have not ad consider the Paradise to actually be very good in this respect!