Paradise Builders

very well put:)

I have a quick question

I’m probably one of the few people who used Calvin’s buffer from the start so never had the chance to hear the original buffer. I left the original buffer unpopulated and just wired the new straight in.

I’ve had a look through the thread and can’t find anyone apart from Alfred who has used the Calvin.

But I may have missed someone.

It occurred to me that the performance level with the standard paradise is so good that people may be thinking ‘’does it really make that much difference to change’’.

If anyone using the buffer could give some feedback on the before and after SQ I’d find that interesting.

BTW I have 7R5 power resistors (26.2V raw supply) and whilst the heat sinks get warm they are no cigar lighters.:flame:

So no problem in my set up.

The original buffer is clean, fast and transparent. Nothing to criticize.
The Calvin is just a bit more full in tone, more dynamic and robust.
It can drive anything, even with 15 Ohm !!! load distortion is under -80dB.
Into normal loads ( 600 Ohm and higher ) i can not reliably measure distortion.
With nearly 1W of idle it is quite a sledgehammer. Like driving in a Maserati Quattroporte.

It's the ability to deliver current into intended and parasitic capacitances that equates to dynamic.

Current is the music we hear when using voice coil type speakers.
That current must never be current clipped. Too many strive for "no voltage clipping" and ignore the possibly more important requirement for "no current clipping" !

It's the ability to deliver current into intended and parasitic capacitances that equates to dynamic.

Current is the music we hear when using voice coil type speakers.
That current must never be current clipped. Too many strive for "no voltage clipping" and ignore the possibly more important requirement for "no current clipping" !

Ohhh... yeeh... :)
Yello - Oh Yeah - YouTube

When using Calvin buffers in combination with the Paradise RIAA the preamp is going to need a bit more power than originally planned. The Paradise RIAA needs about 80mA and the Calvin buffer needs an additional 30mA.

For the shunt to function it needs to consume a few mA’s (30mA is the design value, actual values from 25 up to 50mA are acceptable). This results in 30ma x 18V = 540mW and 110mA x 8V = 880mW constant power consumption in the voltage regulator (Shunt, CVS and CCS), the total power supply consumption is:
2 x ((30mA 18V) + (110mA 8V (26Vin – 18Vout))) = 2.8Watt

When connecting the Calvin buffer an additional 30mA needs to be supplied, the CCS setting needs to be changed from 110mA to 140mA, this can be done by changing the 10 Ohm resistors to 7.5 Ohm resistors. See the attached JPG (The attached screen shows the CCS current in the PSU for (E24) resistors from 4.7 to 10 Ohm (currents from 240…105mA (give or take a few mA’s)).

The ‘normal’ power supply dissipation now changes to:
2 x ((30mA 18V) + (140mA 8V (26Vin – 18Vout))) = 3.4Watt

This should not be a problem with the supplied heat sink, but care should be taken to ventilate the area surrounding the PSU heat sink.

When testing the PSU (with the RIAA and buffer disconnected) the total power consumption in the PSU will be 140mA x 26V = 7.3Watt. If the PSU is not placed in a closed box this should not be a problem, the heat sink may get hot (up to 70C or so) and should not be touched (but you will know :) (as a regular soldering iron user)).

As ever, be sure that the final enclosure is well ventilated (especially around the PSU).

Regards,
Frans.

These are the most important/relevant messages regarding PSU and Pre-Reg.
  1. Mpp #4375 PSU-pre-regulator.
  2. Mpp #4610 V2 Schemas UPS and Amp.
  3. Mpp #6506 CCS fine-tuning.
  4. Mpp #6462 PSU with my notes.
  5. Mpp #6809 Do not try to feed the CVS of the CCS of the shunt with a regulated power supply.
  6. Mpp #7127 More about transformer selection.
  7. Mpp #7635 Single and dual transformer wiring (also corrected drawing) (See also #7733).
  8. Mpp #7733 Grounding (PSU, RIAA and Player).
  9. Mpp #7810 35V PSU for the CroMagnon.
  10. Mpp #7830 The PSU explained.
  11. Mpp #8386 My resistor recommendation’s.
  12. My Paradise #56 PSU Noise.
  13. Masterpiece #951 That's not a PSRR test (it's a CIR test) :)
  14. PradiseBuilders #13 Schema's and assembly guide.
  15. PradiseBuilders #155 Vdc input voltage minimum simulated.
  16. PradiseBuilders #970 PSU oscillates; posible solutions?
  17. PradiseBuilders #983 Compensating the PSU for oscillations.
  18. PradiseBuilders #1173 Fixing oscillations (up to #1182).
  19. PradiseBuilders #1322 Fuse :).
  20. PradiseBuilders #1387 Updated Paradise R3 assembly guide (Also German).
  21. PradiseBuilders #1403 Capacitors bad vs good.
  22. PradiseBuilders #1593 PSU Power Transistor selection.
  23. PradiseBuilders #1644 PSU Output Impedance.
  24. PradiseBuilders #1680 PSU Power Supply Suppression Ratio(PSSR).
  25. PradiseBuilders #1772 NJF selection for the PSU.
  26. PradiseBuilders #1887 Empirical NJF Rgs determination.
  27. PradiseBuilders #2127 More about the PSU fets (J113's etc).
  28. PradiseBuilders #2969 About the Paradise PSU using Calvin buffers.
Have a look at these and their following messages.

Hi Dre

I found frans above post really useful when working out the best placement of my boards in the box.

I have ventilation slots directly above and below the heat sinks which give plenty of ventilation for cooling.

Good luck and keep us posted on your build.:)

hi guys.
for the Pre-Reg boards benedetto suggested a piggy-back installation. one board above the other and not one beside the other as usually seen.

could this also be done with the Paradise-Audioboards.
or is there a reason which points out, that its better to place them beside one and another???

thank you!

We have being talking about a low cost alternative to the OPA627 as a servo.
There is a new precission Fet Opamp from BB :
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa2140.pdf
This one really has great DC specs, very low distortion, low noise and a wide PSU voltage range.
Needs a DIL adapter though to be used in the Paradise.
I have not tried it so far. Even for me as an opamp neard it is hard to catch up whats new and usefull.