Papa, Watt's next?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any good FM tuner designs on diyaudio (or anywhere else) that you know of.

Single analog challenge i can think of with tuners are the output stages behind the stereo filter
(exchanging opamps in this here forum means a swap to Papa's favorite crud :clown: )

Couple of years ago Mark Gulbrandsen and me shared a fantasy of cloning a MacIntosh, with the looks of a (Day) Sequerra, including the CRT spectrum display, and the build quality of old series Tek.
(i've had a hard-on for the Sequerra Model 1 (FM reference) since the late '70s, early '80s, just checked, still do)

Service manuals and schematics of thoroughbred tuners such as the MR78 or Dick Sequerra's Model-1 can be freebee downloaded from the web.
(or buy an old Restek Metric/FM3003 tuner for a rehack)

Last edited:
If you are prepared to use transformer at all, you might as well use a tranformer preamp, either totally passive (if your source can drive it), or one of Susan Parker's.

Attached one from the old Blowtorch thread -- passive Tx + source follower buffer.

Patrick

Attachments

• Transformer Preamp.gif
    Transformer Preamp.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Efficiency, low to mid 90's, 8 ohms.

$125 sometime around the end of the year.

Here's are curves of mine in an OB as seen at BAF 10
days ago.

:cool:

Attachments

• 41 SEAS NF.gif
    41 SEAS NF.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 551
  • 42 SEAS 1M.gif
    42 SEAS 1M.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 525
  • 43 SEAS 1M VS LISTENING.gif
    43 SEAS 1M VS LISTENING.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 533
  • 44 SEAS 1M EQ.gif
    44 SEAS 1M EQ.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 519
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.