PA Mid horn ideas/help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking to learn about mid horns and build a pair cabinets to compliment my keystone sub. I am striking out looking for more info. Goal is for 100hz to 1-2k-ish then throw a CD and waveguide in there for a good 2 way. Would love to try Art’s Syntripp but over my head and budget. Jbells HS12 looks like the best option but I have some questions about it's design. A little lost... 100hz is 11.3’ and ¼ of that is 2.83’ or 33.9” so any design would need to consider this right? Most designs I see do not. Maybe this is typical or a tradeoff. This seems like a logical place to kick my Hornrep a notch. I am lost how to even start designing. Seems like it would be simple as there is no folding. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Looking to learn about mid horns and build a pair cabinets to compliment my keystone sub. I am striking out looking for more info. Goal is for 100hz to 1-2k-ish then throw a CD and waveguide in there for a good 2 way. Would love to try Art’s Syntripp but over my head and budget. Jbells HS12 looks like the best option but I have some questions about it's design. A little lost... 100hz is 11.3’ and ¼ of that is 2.83’ or 33.9” so any design would need to consider this right? Most designs I see do not. Maybe this is typical or a tradeoff. This seems like a logical place to kick my Hornrep a notch. I am lost how to even start designing. Seems like it would be simple as there is no folding. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Like this!

Attachments

• 2011_1231HIFI10033.jpg
    2011_1231HIFI10033.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 571
  • 2011_1231HIFI10030.jpg
    2011_1231HIFI10030.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 641
"keep in mind that horn is more than 36" deep after you slap the drivers on the baffle. just for reference on "box size"

Actually, I had a bifurcated throat design in mind, so it could be about 18" D by 30" W, or possibly 24x24.

This design would be able to keep up with six 15's (or four 18's) per side, so it may be overkill for your situation (the QSC 152i wave guide only handles a 1" driver).

A single B&C 12PE32 could be used in a straight horn to about 250hz, be much smaller and easier to build, and be more like what you are looking for.

I have the plans for this 150hz dual 12PE32 design on line, and it may be cut to half-height and used to 250hz.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I can just barely see your speaker in the pic but from what you describe DJK your 250hz sounds like fun. BUT I do like overkill so I am curious to know more about the 150hz also. Will only have a pair of Othorns to start out but I rather build once. :D

Where can I find the plans?

WOW.....will have to have a look at that mid horn and see if I can find out what will work in it from BC or 18 Sound.

Your dual 12 can it not have the CD in the mouth of the mid horn?

I was looking at building a SH in the far future. Wanted to build a SH64 clone with four 15's. That would be plenty for anything I would ever want to do. So that size if ok as I was thinking I would just stack the mains on the subs for some locations.

BUT 38 x 30 x 24" is bigger than the SH64 but not buy a lot. Still smaller than the SH96. :D

So I am curious about the highs for your dual 12 setup. If it is also stacked on top then that would be just fine outdoors. Inside I might need to look at the single 12 for normal ceiling heights.

And if none of this can work for me there is always the 3 way QSC 152/DE250, Mid horn linked and a 12/15.

The height is designed to have the dustcap on the top 12 at 78" to shoot over the heads of the crowd all the way to the back of the room, total height 102" with EV HP640 (9' ceiling height version).

If you need a lower overall height the bass cabinets can be stacked as in post #13, total height of 86" with EV HP640 (7-1/2' ceiling height).

For home use you could use a half-height mid on top of one bass cabinet and come in at about 51" to the center of the HF horn, or use the dual 12 and HF as-is with the HF center at 47" with the bass cabinet(s) next to the mids and HF. Note: An Altec A7 is about 47" to the center of the HF horn, the same 30" width, the same 24" depth.

"Your dual 12 can it not have the CD in the mouth of the mid horn?"

I though about that, but decided against it. The system is mechanically time-aligned, which works much better than using a DSP with its apparent-apex problem. The system will knock you to your knees with 'slam', both on axis and off-axis.

Most of my friends are of an age that we cannot lift as big a box as you described. The bass cabinets are heavy, but handle easy with a two-wheeled hand-truck.

Last edited:
ZivkoF, nice looking cabinet. Any more info or sims?

djk, that manta ray is a beast. Thanks so much for posting. How heavy is it? I see that it is mostly 1/2" ply.

What do you guys think of coaxial? I had no idea these are so widely available now. Does one simply remove dustcap and install waveguide? Anyone care to assist in helping me see if this could be horn loaded? Eminence Beta-12CX 12" Coaxial Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.