• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD Hi-end phono preamplifier by Andrea Ciuffoli

My main system is comprised of lm3886 chipamps. i have built various of these and are happy with their sound. I have had a krell collector here and he brought his ksa 50. To be honest we could not really here a difference between the chipamps and his ksa 50.
and he was very happy with the performance of the chipamps.

I guess this might be due to my speakers not being the most expensive. would like to try comparison between these on different speakers.

I am currently using a dual 1218 and an el cheapo behringer dj mixing desc running into my rotel rsp985 connected to the chipamps running wharfdale valdus 400 loudspeakers.

I want to take the behringer mixer out and get a better riaa preamp , that is why I decided to build a tube preamp and came upon this circuit.

I am not a crazy audiophile. I love building amplifiers and equipment.
I can't spend massive amounts of money on them.

I do realise that a very expensive attenuator will possibly have 0.0005% less distortion than using a plain 100k alps potentiometer but in the end everyting is limmited by my speakers. I will upgrade my speakers in the next 5 to 10 years.

These are the reasons that i will be happy with a carbon track pot ,because i honestly don't think i will be able to hear the difference.

One day everyone tells you you must use carbon resistors the next everyone says metal film.

I build my riaa stage acording to the original desing on the website using

100nF and 33nF wima caps and 4 2.2uF mkp10 wima caps and 1% 0.5W metal film resistors.

Listening to bread now.

It sounds great! Resolution (if that is a good description) is awesome. I am very happy!

On the behringer for some reason i keep on having to set the bass and treble to get clean sound, this needs NO filters. It sounds like I want it. Zero bass or treble need to be added or cut.

Current setup is

dual 1218 - tube preamp - rotel rsp985- lm3886 - warfedal valdus 400

In the next few months it will be:

dual 1218 - tube preamp with alps 100k attenuating - ksa 50 amplifier - valdus 400

Currently listening to my best of Bread Lp which is sounding much better with the tube preamp!

Is 40C too much for a toroidal transformer?

Attachments

• IMG_6970 [1024x768].JPG
    IMG_6970 [1024x768].JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_6971 [1024x768].JPG
    IMG_6971 [1024x768].JPG
    175 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_6972 [1024x768].JPG
    IMG_6972 [1024x768].JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Current setup is

dual 1218 - tube preamp - rotel rsp985- lm3886 - warfedal valdus 400

In the next few months it will be:

dual 1218 - tube preamp with alps 100k attenuating - ksa 50 amplifier - valdus 400

Currently listening to my best of Bread Lp which is sounding much better with the tube preamp!

Is 40C too much for a toroidal transformer?

Vinyl, bell-bottoms & lava lamps. I dig. Watch to not touch the reg or phono by accident when the room's light dims and the riffs play.

40C is quite OK for a toroid.

P.S. I would not be surprised if Smokie liked The Bread. OK surely The Ramones liked Smokie.:)

Hi Quanghao,
Have you sent the replacement boards yet?

John Caswell

i was sent you 2 weeks ago!
There are some Member get PCB I sent again, and next day they get it again one more, They tell my, I'm very thanks!

I think your address ?? can you sen me other address and your phone number please? I sent it one more!
Thank for help!
Quanghao