• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD Hi-end phono preamplifier by Andrea Ciuffoli

yes , but my transformer is sitting at 57C due to all the wasted heat.
lm317 sitting at 75C

I am going to have to lower primary voltage or get different transformer

sigh

230V ac and 9v AC is WAY to high for this circuit.....

yes! 230vAC~290VDC, so R1= 50V, and 9610 = 40V drop, i calculate max for it!
and now i use that! You can down VAC min = 200V, so down R1, it is low

ALL YOUR DRAWINGS SHOW 220 to 250V AC???????

Heater circuit 7 to 9V AC???

Attachments

• Cricuit-SSHV-for-PhonoASH.jpg
    Cricuit-SSHV-for-PhonoASH.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 532
In my days it was 230VAC is 320VDC (factor of 1.41) but maybe this changed over time :) I think it is too high

For heater you need min 7V since it is 9.87VDC-1.5V drop for diodes so you get 8.3. So then you will have minimum required drop for LM317 that is 2V.

Pred

Last edited:
200V Ac will give 282V dc That is still a 82V drop.

I think you can safely drop the 200Vac to 180Vac(254Vdc)

With 9Vac my lm317 is sitting at 75C which is too high. Using a 6.7c/w heatsink.

Long story short I will need to get a different transformer......

170Vac and 7Vac should do nicely

For now I am going to experiment with a 10ohm 50W resistor on the primary of the transformer to drop input and output voltages

200V Ac will give 282V dc That is still a 82V drop.

I think you can safely drop the 200Vac to 180Vac(254Vdc)

With 9Vac my lm317 is sitting at 75C which is too high. Using a 6.7c/w heatsink.

Long story short I will need to get a different transformer......

For now I am going to experiment with a 10ohm 50W resistor on the primary of the transformer to drop input and output voltages

anyone else just have finished his PS and have the same problems?
After this I´m a little bit unshure what PT I´ve to buy.

Last night I experimented with putting a 60W light bulb in series with my transformer primary to drop the secondary voltages on both my 230V and 9V secondaries.

Even on 7.6V ac the 6.3V lm317 circuit did not work. I was only able to get out about 4.5V DC max.
I am going to do some more experimenting but it seems that it might need 8V AC minimum to be able to function. And with 9V the lm317 was hitting 75C in temp so I don't know?

What is the total current is drawn by the 4 heaters?

I will let you guys know as soon as I finish my testing today.

I got mine running!

I dropped my input voltage a bit with a 150ohm resistor on the primarty of the transformer.

measurements:

AC input to powersupply

220V ac

8.5V ac

DC Voltage measurement over first 220uF 400V cap 265Vdc

i put my 220R 5W resistor back

DC voltage measurement over second 220uF 400V cap 249Vdc

voltage measurement over 2 x 4700uF 16V capacitors 8.5V dc ,the 8.5V seems a bit low. not entirely shure why this is ,but i will have to measure this with an oscilloscope to see how it varies.

6.3V is steady.
200V output is steady

all temperatures are in die low 40C

I am listening to The wailers - babylon by bus.

Sounds awesome!

Tangmonster you can use 10K volume if you have high input impedience amplifier but to get best from this GREAT preamp use 50k or best 100k. Use switched attenuator with tantalum of caddock resistors or DACT attenuator... And with valve or very high quality Mosfet amplifier.

100K volume.

I cannot state strong enough that 50% of sound quality will be lost with even a high quality Alps volume control. Even the Audio Note for US$100 is poor compared to DACT or a set of switched resistors. Over 20 years we have carried out 100 blindfold tests.

DACT is best and worth saving for.

I have finished building my Phono preamp but I have a strange fault in one channel and even though I have 40 years experience in design of valve I cannot yet find the fault. One channel has higher gain by 20% but when I put my finger on top of R43 the gain becomes same as other channel. I have changed everything except the valve socket. I have used ONLY the very best components.

So I have not yet listened but the RIAA accuruacy is very good. Square wave perform also good.