old classics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I loved my AVR-2's

Steal toed shoes and clip on ties!

Attachments

• avr2.jpg
    avr2.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 300
And yet another Ampex Classic

The 351

(Ive no Idea why my photos are apearing as attachemnts)

I wouldnt mind having one of these, with a 1/2" or 1" half track head stack, and set up for 30 ips, but all I have to record these days would be the refridgerator.

I also understand that the ATR-102 has become a hot comodety set up with 1" heads for disk mastering. Pretty cool transport, no pinch roller, kinda like the VPR-3.

Attachments

• ampex351.jpg
    ampex351.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 306
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nakamichi 500

The Nak 500 -- bottom of the line under the 700 & the 1000 -- was the cassette deck that introduced a generation to hifi cassette. As the most accessible Nak it was the one that 1st earned the phrase that "Nakamicji's botton of the line is better than everyone else's best". Mechanically somewhat fragile, it was & still is an outstanding deck (as far as cassette machines go).

dave

Attachments

• nak500s.jpg
    nak500s.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 263
Re: Nakamichi 500

planet10 said:
The Nak 500 -- bottom of the line under the 700 & the 1000 -- was the cassette deck that introduced a generation to hifi cassette. As the most accessible Nak it was the one that 1st earned the phrase that "Nakamicji's botton of the line is better than everyone else's best".

And here's the best Nak. Actually I'm planning to sell that one. Anybody's got idea what the current value is (Audigon or Ebay)?

Attachments

• zxl.jpg
    zxl.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 254
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
We had one of those as a logging recorder on our (TV) station output. Each day, the appropriate cassette for the day had to be found, bunged in, and rewound. (Record was remoted to the opt-out switches.) After umpty-ump years, the heads were totally worn out, but nobody had needed to check replay until one of our presenters said something they shouldn't have, and when the tape was needed as evidence it was found to be almost useless. (Lucky presenter, saved by engineering.)

Shortly after that, we installed a "Hi-Fi" VHS, which gave us the bonus of simultaneus pictures, and made it a lot easier to find out whether ****-ups were due to engineering faults or operational faults. Oddly, there was a great deal of resistance to our proposal of using the longitudinal tracks to also record local gallery talkback and Network gallery talkback.

BTW Where's the cat?
(Dhaen)

The black cat is actually under the weather at the moment. He's got a massive kidney infection and taking a ton of antibiotics to try and squelch it.

After surprising myself by jumping headfirst into one of the DIY Audio/UN forums, I thought that old Strangelove here was a little better representation of myself. "Gentleman please! There's no fighting in here, this is the war room."

The first place I worked in the mid 80’s had three well-worn AVR-2's that (before the VPR-2's came along) used to do double duty on the remote truck. The truck was still using the Fernseh KCU-40B's when I was there.

About 10 years ago I needed to replace a 1200 after the Recortek had driven us all to distraction, bought two AVR-2's for $500. When I showed up with the truck to get them, they wouldn’t let me have them unless I also took a TR-70 with me.

Are your machines "stereo" and do they have the low band kits Installed? We did a lot of archive work those machines I bought, but just one and twos from client requests. Lots of old shedding oxide. We kept one machine running and used the other as a doner. Never powered up the TR-70.

-Dave

Da5id4Vz said:
(Dhaen)

The black cat is actually under the weather at the moment. He's got a massive kidney infection and taking a ton of antibiotics to try and squelch it.

After surprising myself by jumping headfirst into one of the DIY Audio/UN forums, I thought that old Strangelove here was a little better representation of myself. "Gentleman please! There's no fighting in here, this is the war room."

The first place I worked in the mid 80’s had three well-worn AVR-2's that (before the VPR-2's came along) used to do double duty on the remote truck. The truck was still using the Fernseh KCU-40B's when I was there.

About 10 years ago I needed to replace a 1200 after the Recortek had driven us all to distraction, bought two AVR-2's for $500. When I showed up with the truck to get them, they wouldn’t let me have them unless I also took a TR-70 with me.

Are your machines "stereo" and do they have the low band kits Installed? We did a lot of archive work those machines I bought, but just one and twos from client requests. Lots of old shedding oxide. We kept one machine running and used the other as a doner. Never powered up the TR-70.

-Dave
Sorry to hear about the puss:(
Most of my 2" time was on AVR1's. We converted one to PAL-M for interchange of material between Brasil and Portugal. Made lots of money, that one!
The AVR2's are mono - we didn't have stereo TV here 'till NICAM came around in the 80's. We've got 1 set of lowband boards, but there's not so much LB material.
Unfortunately the project ends this year, and the machines may be mothballed (if they're lucky).
I just disposed of about 50 years worth of TR70 heads. Someone somewhere will be crying.
The tapes still play well after cleaning. Amazing technology. We have more trouble with 1" C tapes. Oh and there's a living nightmare of thousands of D3's to do:eek:

Maybe I should have moved to telecoms....

Cheers,

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
This is turning into an old broadcasting fogey's thread...

Many years ago, in the junk room at work, I discovered something very odd. It was light green, had a 2" wide trough, clamps, and what looked like a microscope on top. When I asked my boss what it was, I thought he was winding me up. Razor blade 2" editing and Ediview?

Does anyone have a picture of a Nagra VPR6? I remember seeing one of these shortly after I bought my house. It was beautiful (well, it was Nagra). A portable 1" machine not much larger than a 1/4" machine, but pictures as well! It cost more than my house.

Meanwhile, I offer for your edification (please do not drool on keyboards), the following engineering wonders for which I would swap a sister, possibly two:

Attachments

• nagra.jpg
    nagra.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 291
deja vu all over again

I don’t think the VPR-XX could hold more than a 20 min. reel. I did spend a lot of time using the VPR-20 that was, alas, pure Ampex. It would hold as large as a 60, but I don’t think a 90 min real. Take up and supply were over-under coaxial.

Nagra D is a wonderful machine. I purchased and maintained a couple of Nagra-T for telecine use. Only saw the NX (?) a couple of times when a recordest would bring one in for transfers. I fear that widgets like the Zaxcom Deja-vu DDR may have driven the Nagra D into irrelevance.

A neat feature of the Nagra D recording format was that although a helical recording you could still edit the tape with a razor blade without the use of a microscope or ferrofluid. Ive been told that that old quad control track developer works good for doping the gap in a dome tweeter to help keep the coil.

I don’t think the Ampex/Nagra collaboration was the VPR-6 a quick search did yield this thumbnail:

Attachments

• ampex_nagra.jpg
    ampex_nagra.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 298
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.