old classics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nakamichi 600 with Dolby B!

/Hugo

Attachments

• mvc-306f.jpg
    mvc-306f.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 538
stokessd said:
Man, you guys must be young, that's NEW gear. :)

Now here's a classic:

Sheldon

I've got an 800B, and it makes all the sand stuff that came later, seem, well, like the crap it is.
I'm restoring mine slowly to use in my office system. My timber cabinet doesn't look like that though; the guy I bought it from had painted it <i>blue!</i> with a brush and even left some bristles as evidence. I'm going to have one of my neighbours make a new one out of laminated sections of blackbutt or jarrah, depending on what recycled timber we have on hand at the time. I just need a set of brass knob caps now.

Cheers

Anybody know this?

It's a Mitsubishi DA-C20.
A tuner-preamp that I first used 25 years ago, sold, and it's returned! After re-capping and a mute relay change it's just how I remember it. Nice switchable bandwidth IF, high voltage rails (for semiconductors) of about + & - 40 volts - lots of headroom.

I don't think these were sold in Europe. Mine was a 120 volt sample. And before someone asks, yes I did change the de-emphasis :cool:

Attachments

• da-c20m.jpg
    da-c20m.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 522
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Brett said:
Netlist, now this is class. Them blue meters is so purty.
Everything with blue meters, lamps or led's is Class!! :cool:
In time someone will say: look, an old Pass X1000; with the blue glow! That was class!

Here the old Sansui glory: I would be very happy if someone had a manual of this. Output transistors have been taken out. In time I would like to restore it: It's a AU-777A.

/Hugo

Attachments

• mvc-310f.jpg
    mvc-310f.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 474
Brett,

No I don't own one, but used to fix'em.
I do now sometimes fix AVR2's, and 1" machines like 2000's 3000's VPR2's & VPR6's during the segment of my working life when I'm working at an archive.

I'm looking for some VPR2B's at present for home, if anyone has a couple they don't want ;) (UK only).

Which Sonys did you do?

Cheers,

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Re: Re: Don't take me seriously....others don't

Brett said:
Does an A80 count?

Oh yes. The Studer A80 is a lovely machine. Tape machines are all about how rigid the chassis is and how good the motor servos are. The A80 is cracking in that respect, and ultra-reliable, even though its audio electronics aren't all that amazing. Still, there's plenty of room to sling another fridge's worth of audio electronics underneath.

EC8010 said:

Oh yes. The Studer A80 is a lovely machine. Tape machines are all about how rigid the chassis is and how good the motor servos are. The A80 is cracking in that respect, and ultra-reliable, even though its audio electronics aren't all that amazing. Still, there's plenty of room to sling another fridge's worth of audio electronics underneath.

That was the plan from the start. Get the transport up to spec, then gut it and replace all the electronics with modern tube designs. Mine was the spare machine in the mastering facility I bought it from, so it has quite low hours, and new heads but was stored uncovered in a warehouse for several years, so it was filthy. I have a manual for it, but need a calibration tape. ($$$)

Looking for another as a spare in case anyone in Oz knows of one cheap. (1")

John:
BVH2000

Re: Re: Don't take me seriously....others don't

Brett said:
Cassettes are for wimps. A Real Mans tape machine is the size of a small fridge.
Not audio perhaps, but I always think of a 'fridge sized mainframe computer tape drive with it's two 10.5 inch side-by-side reels twitching back and forth was the ultimate in tape coolness. Suitably converted to audio, it would be quite a listening room conversation piece. Drive motors the size of 1 (imp) gallon paint tins.

dhaen said:

Ah yes, I know (and loved) them. They were a very nice machine for the first 10 years, but then horrible things started happening: dry 'lytics, and worst of all "glop" the brown wire-tak that stratifies and becomes hydroscopic. Nightmare fauts when they happen.

Cheers,

Ours were very well maintained, and I last used them 10 years ago, so I don't have any experience with the issues you mentioned. Never happenned to ours whilst I was there, but I didn't do the in depth servicing.
They turn up on ebay for a few hundred dollars occaisionally but regularly. If it came with a service manual for that, I'd buy one just to time-shift episodes od <i>Neighbours</i>.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.