Oh no, he's back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ShinOBIWAN,

Extremely nice design work, you truly have a great talent for design :)

I'm a bit curious of what kind of DSP gear you will use for the design. My guess is that you won't use the DEQX this time. Is it the Hypex AS2.100? Do you have any experience with the Hypex?

I'm myself interested in the Hypex, but I'm a bit unsure of the sound quality of the small ucd amps and DA converter used in the AS2.100.

Later this week a will attend a demo from the manufacturer of the following DSP loudspeaker, which uses the AS2.100.

Audelity Home - Audio Fidelity

Perhaps a will get an idea of what the AS2.100 can deliver.

Regards

/Goran

Hi shinOBIWAN, outstanding product design mate, not to mention image quality. I'm very much looking forward to watching progress of these. Can I ask how you intend to market these, and what is your target market cost wise? Or is it too early for these questions?

All the best, nick

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hey Goran and thanks.

Spot on about the DEQX, its a stunning performer but even with the release of the Express at around £1300, its still too expensive for widespread adoption.

I've had a miniDSP 2x4 for awhile now and more recently the 2x8 and I'm impressed with both. The 2x4 is a tad rough sounding but its easy to forgive when you consider the value. The 2x8 however is a highend performer and solves the niggling sound issues I have with the 2x4.

I was going to try a hypex module too but its not particularly good value considering the exchange rate. Its only 2 channels too but does have the bonus of the fairly good OEM amp modules included.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Hypex should you get to play around with them.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hi shinOBIWAN, outstanding product design mate, not to mention image quality. I'm very much looking forward to watching progress of these. Can I ask how you intend to market these, and what is your target market cost wise? Or is it too early for these questions?

All the best, nick

Hi Nick,

Things are still moving forward but I can flesh a couple of details.

There's no shop, no distributor, no marketing budget instead these will be sold direct via the internet and our home. We've got a purpose built and treated listening room in the works that will allow folks to listen to the designs in a more ideal environment should they wish but really the best option is the try before you buy method. That way you get to experience the speakers in your own system and room for a couple of weeks before deciding.

In terms of price nothing is firm yet but I will say that they're hand crafted items with little to no compromise in terms of materials, finish and parts used. If you look at what others are asking for a similar level of product then value can be considered very good. I'm aiming for the full 3-way Avante to come in around £2500 and that will include 6 channels of amplification and a very good active crossover based around the miniDSP 96Khz platform. The Aurora will be around £3500 and the LGT is an extremely time consuming and costly product to manufacturer so its likely to be £10,000 including the DEQX. But I'm expecting to very very rarely if ever be called upon to manufacturer such a speaker again. I've put it in the lineup simply because its a fantastic product that shows just what Adept is capable of - a flagship if you like.

Just one other point is that since these speakers will be produced in small quantities - I project just 4 pairs of Avante and 3 pairs of Aurora per year, then its very easy for me to offer a far more tailored service. Custom colour options, installation with the active crossover incorporating low frequency room EQ and even though I'm a firm believer in flat is the correct way to design a loudspeaker I can take advantage of the DSP crossover and make small adjustments to change the overall voicing to an individuals preference.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
THrough bigger the LGT woofers look kinda plain jane compared to the beautiful SEAS midbass used in the smaller speaker. Visions of an LGT using SEAS Excel Mg drivers anytime soon? :D

:D Yep the Seas sure are pretty drivers. But the AT's perform better imo.

If you need another local pair of ears Shin, drop me a pm over here in Sheffield, always interested to hear something new.

Simon

Sure Simon, thanks for the offer mate will probably take you up on that sometime :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hi ShinOBIWAN, many thanks for your detailed reply, and I have to say pricing seems about right considering the quality of the example in post 71 (LGT) which looks outstanding, you really have nailed the design look and 'family' style through the range. I'm very impressed and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

I'll be following development via this thread with great interest, plus I'm not a million miles away in Liverpool.

Nick.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Beautiful work!

Sean.

Hey Sean and thanks.

I'll be following development via this thread with great interest, plus I'm not a million miles away in Liverpool.

Nick.

Many thanks for your kind words Nick and I'd be happy to demonstrate any of the models to a fellow DIY'er once I've got things how I'd like them. The LGT is the only one that's actually a finished product right now.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I never really trusted any of my ECM's above 1Khz because there's been plenty of variation over the years. I wanted a quality mic that wouldn't have me second guessing and the Earthworks is supplied with the DEQX as an optional upgrade so with the discounts I got it for a pretty good price.

:D Yep the Seas sure are pretty drivers. But the AT's perform better imo.

And for the sake of completeness here's the matching LGT renders:

The upgradability of adding the bass module, which acts as a standmount support, brilliantly done!

Sean, I believe the LGT requires a bass module that is in addition to the 8" AT woofers used in the above renders.

See post 96 here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/93218-lgt-construction-diary-10.html#post1116611

I wondered why Shin did not simplify the design by using the 10" flex units instead of the 8" units (thus dropping the Peerless 10") but since his knowledge far exeeds mine I kept my big mouth shut.;) Troels uses a similar 10" AT woofer here http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/PRELUDE_files/10C77PD.pdf.

Maybe the larger Flex units would require upping the 15cm C-Quenze mid to 18cm and then the RAAL ribbon might not have gone low enough to mate well with the larger 18cm mid. Anyway that is another speaker and Shin has a seperate thread about it.

Maybe if Shin was using only 1 mid mated to 2 woofers (as in a WWMT or WMTW), he'd need a 18cm driver (to provide the SPL).

Shin-Obiwan,
What are the significant differences in the radiation pattern of MT or WMT desings like the Aurora and Avante vs MTM or WMTMW like the LGT?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.