Oh no, he's back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Should be starting these soon. Hopefully next week if things go to plan. I'm putting a new roof on the workshop over the weekend so hopefully it will be next week if things go to plan.

I've also been busy designing a compact floorstander with top notch Audiotechnology C-Quenze 5.5" and Peerless XLS 10" side firing sub and a choice of RAAL 140-15d ribbon or Scanspeak D3004/6600. This is one strong design with a full range 20hz-40Khz approach for small to medium size rooms. Pics on this shortly.

Besides that I've been struggling to get to grips with web design and am doing a one night a week course at my local college on flash based programming. This is a long term project but I hope to eventually have two sister websites. One dedicated to DIY with articles on design, construction, finishing etc. And the other for the commercial side of things. That's the plan anyway. Workload may dictate otherwise.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
HTML 5 is the way forward.

Hey Dave,

Ohh I feel a debate coming on :D

Its early days for HTML5 with a draft proposal only at present. So eventually yes but not all browsers support it. Adding to that around 50% of browsers are MS IE based and only v9 supports HTML5. That's a lot of people out there with no support.

Flash on the other hand is available on virtually every platform/browser with a wide user base. Flash is also faster in the majority of cases thanks to very early adoption of HTML5.

I know Jobs said awhile ago that Flash wasn't needed any more but frankly he's wrong and doesn't like anything that isn't either open source or written by themselves. Look at the god awful itunes as a great example of badly designed and entrenched software. But aside from obvious prejudices even when HTML5 support is stable, fast wide spread it will coexist with flash because its so established. I think figures quote its on 98% of all web capable computers.

HI Shin,
While you have been away a body of opinion have become brave enough to express the view that remote servers for pics etc is doing the Forum Membership no favours.
I have always voiced an opinion against that practice. It seems it was done to circumvent the Forum's sensible limits on pic size and data handling and/or storage issues.
The Forum still has limits and I for one am hopelessly championing the banning of the use of all remote servers. If it's good enough to be seen, then upload to the Forum so that we can all see in perpetuity. The enormous files on the remote servers take too long to download.

With most forums they have picture resizing ! To ridiculously small pics ! And if there is any text in them you can't read them no matter how you resize as the text becomes blurry.And again like you say most boards have limits that you will reach very quickly.Then you have to go back and delete the photos you had posted earlier depending on what forum to upload new ones.With a remote server like Photobucket,Flickr,etc... You can leave them there without any kind of automatic resizing which is better for everyone.The problems you describe Andrew sounds like your connection.My suggestion would be to upgrade to a faster one.As Shin said I have a fiber optic connection (20 MBps Down/5MBps Up) which only takes a few seconds to DownLoad any image.Prime example is the Altec User Board there they re-size to Thumbnails and remote servers there are required.:( Remote servers are Excellent for XO schematics where the text can be very small even on a large image.With a faster connection all your concerns would disappear IMHO. Regards ~ AB

Andrew first off, dial up and that 14" screen haven't been in fashion for over a decade we also have fairly speedy fibre optic net around these parts too. What I'm saying is whilst its annoying for you, its fine for others.

Exactly ! Hit the Nail on the Head,Bullseye,Etc.... :D

All the Best ~ AB

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hey guys,

Time for an update.

First off, website logo.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've made significant changes to the original idea of the Avante after testing two excellent shallow profile neo woofers from Dayton and Tangband. So I've now got the same 2-way standmount but it can easily be upgraded to a 3-way via the addition of a bass module which the standmount neatly sits upon. The fact that the crossover is DSP based will mean that there's two distinct crossover configurations for the 2 and 3-way versions and switching between them is a simple software update. In the 3-way crossover this allows for the 4.5" to handle significantly less low frequencies and passing the bulk of the work over to the larger woofer within the bass unit upgrade. Something like that isn't really possible with a passive design or at least not easily.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've also been busy working on a new design and this takes the form of the Aurora. It builds upon the Avante by integrating the bass within a single larger standmount enclosure with top end components like the RAAL 140-15d ribbon, custom Audiotechnology 5.5" and 10" Peerless XLS subwoofer. Its a full range design with an in room response of around 20hz-40Khz. I'm particularly excited about this one as I'll probably be replacing the LGT's with a pair of these. They basically do everything the LGT does but with less headroom, the up shot is a much smaller footprint.

Prototypes are working very well so I think its time to go ahead and build the first pair of both speakers. I'll be cutting these first sets by hand but I'm working to have the bulk of cuts needed for subsequent sets done via CNC to help speed up the rather lengthy build time. All finishing will still be done by hand.

Thanks and hope you enjoy the upcoming builds.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Really, really slow image server Ant. I've smoked a rollup and it still hasn't finished loading.

Ah I miss the smoking on occasion. I quit at the start of this year and its about the only new years resolution I've been able to keep. I felt like a crack addict for the first week after quitting but it quickly got easier after that.

About the host speed, they've been doing some 'routine maintenance' over the weekend so that would explain the slow speeds. I'll keep an eye on it and if its a problem I'll start uploading to the forum instead.

Guys, cheers for the compliments too :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.