Offline full-bridge SMPS… need help

voltages are well known, and you CAN NOT measure them with DWM, don't even try.. that is only good for DC and 50/60Hz or so AC, nothing else...

the points you can measure are: main DC voltage on capacitors, voltage on 7812 input and output, voltage on low side capacitor of IR, output DC voltage from smps, after diodes and capacitors and that is pretty much it

most pins on IR you will not be able to measure voltage (it will show you something, but nothing valid)

I can't find this part... my guess is, that no, you can not change it, since that is dedicated ballast driver if it is

Hi Luka,

Sorry typo error actually it is IR2166, I'ved been noticed that all driver for electronic ballast is half bridge configuration like smps yours, thats why I'm thinking that this IR2166 can use it to drive the mosfet. attached is the data sheet for IR2166 for your evaluation.

thanks,
rlg

Attachments

• ir2166.zip
    586.5 KB · Views: 381
It ain't going to work, yes it is half bridge driver, but you can't tell it when to turn on and off. Inside runs complex "program" and for that it needs several inputs that you can see on 1-8 pins. I mean at best, if you can even do that, you could run it at max duty cycle, but some how I think you would be stuck in protect mode, since you would never get into running mode, since you wouldn't sense what is going on with "ballast" that you now wouldn't have. I am sorry to say that, but I don't see how it could work... you can always try, but...

i'll be more precise

well the thread starded as Full, now is more like half bridge... and if you understand what is this all about, there are only few components to be added, to make it full bridge, really nothing to it... up to say 1kw, and I say that with constant power, not 1kw for amps, there is no need for full bridge

Thanks for reply Luka.A friend of mine told me that he built one from this thread.The schematic he says was posted by you.
I'll be more precise in what i need:a simple power supply upto 500w,one which will be easy to troubleshoot,minimum number of parts if possible.
Half or full bridge,it doesn't matter.Which one are you refering to?

then I would say half bridge, since 500w is easy to get from it, has ~10 parts less then full, you already have PCB if you wish not to do one yourself, easy to understand and learn from it and most of it is really really simple, few regulators, some divers,... only "hard" thing to do is output inductor, transformer and feedback loop, but none of them are not too hard to undersrtand + you can always ask

It ain't going to work, yes it is half bridge driver, but you can't tell it when to turn on and off. Inside runs complex "program" and for that it needs several inputs that you can see on 1-8 pins. I mean at best, if you can even do that, you could run it at max duty cycle, but some how I think you would be stuck in protect mode, since you would never get into running mode, since you wouldn't sense what is going on with "ballast" that you now wouldn't have. I am sorry to say that, but I don't see how it could work... you can always try, but...[/QU

ok. thanks luka for your evaluation for the appnote of IR2166, probobly I may now concentrate in IR2110.....

rlg,

Hello. I have a schematic on a power supply that I have built. It can set the output voltage via a potentiometer. The leave everything from 30Volt to 55Volt depending on the number of turns on the secondary side. The primary side is wound 32 turns and is made for 220Volt AC. It is servo controlled so that the output voltage all the time is constant and that it also has over-current limit. I use an isolation transformer between the PWM circuit and the power mosfet.

Attachments

• AC-DC POWER.pdf
    68.3 KB · Views: 812
hi guys . luka your smps the one using small 12vlts aux former is the one i like to use and works OK, until there is a short in my amplifer side e.g the high speed rectifier diodes fails (i use mur3060), or the amp output transistors fail , or the speaker connectors are short accidentally. Just curious to know isn't there any way an effective protection schema can be in co-operated with this powerful luka's smps schema maybe using protection transformer t106-26 from micro metals ? or is there an already working protection schema that can be in co-operated steve

well ok, I know what are you saying, but I did put fuses on the output (smps itself is protected), so what is the problem? yes you could add current sense trafo on primary (if you find enough space), make small board that would hold secondary stuff for current sense... and feed that voltage to SD pin of sg... then it should be current limited, if nothing else, it would shutdown and restart untill turned off or short removed

You amp fails all the time??

i do use regulation(+/-35vlts) of which i love smps regulation because it uses zeener and resistor unlike former which involves turning thick wires . BTW i love smps very much they are powerful and light , i only wish ac- dc smps can act like the ones in car amplifier esp jec and audio bank they are Chinese amps but I've installed many in cars and even though at times i make serious mistake like shorting the speaker at high output levels it just lights the red protection light and once you rectify the mistake and restart it it works normally and doesn't destroy any component . but they use tl494 or sg3524 . steve

Last edited:
Hello. I have a schematic on a power supply that I have built. It can set the output voltage via a potentiometer. The leave everything from 30Volt to 55Volt depending on the number of turns on the secondary side. The primary side is wound 32 turns and is made for 220Volt AC. It is servo controlled so that the output voltage all the time is constant and that it also has over-current limit. I use an isolation transformer between the PWM circuit and the power mosfet.

Attachments

• AC-DC POWER Pcb.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 557
  • AC-DC POWER - [SILK].pdf
    40.8 KB · Views: 547