Official M2 schematic

Is that worth the investment?
@ Dewdrop

Can build great amplifier with schassis included at the price of 2 pcs. of Mundorf silver-gold oil capacitors
Mundorf - Inner Excellence
My council is not worth to do such upgrade.
Better spend money on equaly high quality of ALL components
and tight matched jfet's pairs and oversized class A PSU.
See in this Papa article :
PassDiy
Superb capacitors
ALS70A114KF040 KEMET | Mouser

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/212/KEMET-A4075_ALS70_71-1273703.pdf

Interesting PSU chokes is made by Hammond or Lundahl brand.

@ Dewdrop

Can build great amplifier with schassis included at the price of 2 pcs. of Mundorf silver-gold oil capacitors
Mundorf - Inner Excellence
My council is not worth to do such upgrade.
Better spend money on equaly high quality of ALL components
and tight matched jfet's pairs and oversized class A PSU.
See in this Papa article :
PassDiy
Superb capacitors
ALS70A114KF040 KEMET | Mouser

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/212/KEMET-A4075_ALS70_71-1273703.pdf

Interesting PSU chokes is made by Hammond or Lundahl brand.

ok! I will do some more research.

Hi I think I ordered 600:15K from Edcor but my invoice shows 15K:600, I havent got them yet. Are 15K:600 and 600:15k the same transformer or is there an issue with orientation in the 2M PCBs .. and as the Transformer will be connected as an Autofomer does that matter at all?

It is possibly a stupid question but is it advisable to use few huge caps in a power supply or is a supply with several smaller caps with same overall capacitance better/faster?

Best regards
Kjartan

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Edcor : same , as far I know

caps - really depends how you organize power transfer routes

you can do both of them (ways) lousy ...... and you can do both of them decent

with decent caps in both cases ........ I say that difference is - use ones easier to obtain

difference (to my ears) isn't worth wasting too much time in thinking

It is possibly a stupid question but is it advisable to use few huge caps in a power supply or is a supply with several smaller caps with same overall capacitance better/faster?

Best regards
Kjartan
Small cap charge quickly and discharge quickly.

I do C's mix :D
small caps with biger one bypassed by little film cap or oil.
After toroid primary first small C then R ( power wire wound ) or L
then few paraller connected small C with huge one ~ 100000 ( energy reservoir ) at the end.
I always bypass all electrochemical's. Have fun!

Attachments

• 49F4A69D-8027-45DF-B8B9-01C027D0F926.jpg
    49F4A69D-8027-45DF-B8B9-01C027D0F926.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 498
Hi I think I ordered 600:15K from Edcor but my invoice shows 15K:600, I havent got them yet. Are 15K:600 and 600:15k the same transformer or is there an issue with orientation in the 2M PCBs .. and as the Transformer will be connected as an Autofomer does that matter at all?
Best regards
Kjartan

I believe pins 1 and 2 are closer together than the others - making it 'keyed'.

All you'd need is a hammer, or extend the leads.

:) please correct me if I am being dumb.

Thanks for clarifying Soundhappy.
mpmarino I will select the appropriate hammer once they arrive :)
My question regarding 600:15k vs 15k:600 if there was an orientation difference and if it mattered at all as the trafo is connected as an autoformer.

There used to be a toung in cheek recommendation for a toolkit for the GAZ69, a simple and capable Soviet 4x4. Toolkit should contain a screwdriver and a hammer... and an extra hammer if you broke the first one while fixing the car.
I have several hammers in reserve :)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I find that the "600 ohm impedance" winding, has considerably lower DC resistance as measured by a low cost DMM. The "15K ohm impedance" winding, has considerably higher DC resistance as measured by a low cost DMM.

I think you could perform a couple of DC resistance measurements to find out whether you have a step-up or a step-down transformer.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just checked at EDCOR - PC Series

on drop down menu , there indeed are separate 600:15K and 15K:600

you can only hope that difference is just swapped position of windings , Edcor having fixed arrangement of primary and secondary , so you can solve tgings with some creative wiring

once you get them , buzz , I'll give you Rdc and L data for 600:15K , to compare with

Thanks mr Pass and ZM. I just got confirmed from Edcor support that they shipped 15k:600 to me and that I can do a 180 and use secondaries as primaries for 600:15k. I just need to wait for both the trafos and pcbs to arrive to see if they, because of possible pin spacing difference, can be fit into the pcbs in a resonably neat way.

Last edited: