Official M2 schematic

Like this example

I have Mu metal for this, but I like Soundhappy's suggestion to ALSO use copper tape. Looking at Edcor's site, many of their transformers come in a shielded version. Poking around, they fully describe the material they use, which is a purpose-made solderable tin plated copper from 3M:

EDCOR - Copper Shielding

Lots of places carry the 3M Embossed Tin-plated Copper EMI Shielding Tape 1345 in various widths and lengths. Not cheap for the continuous rolls, but I think I'm going to try it.

BK

Attachments

• 1345.png
    1345.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 634
  • 0005419_mxlcs-series.png
    0005419_mxlcs-series.png
    250.4 KB · Views: 612
  • mu.JPG
    mu.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 607
I WILL use the Mu metal. The 3M tape is extra/easy and routinely employed by Edcor. Belt and suspenders approach, and reversible if it creates a problem.

Can you share your construction method for the shielding box? It looks really great. Sheet metal is a new medium for me.

BK

The shiny box at the rightmost end of the PCB is made of 0.010" Mu-Metal, purchased from McMaster-Carr. Why not use the material you already have?

596703d1486159341-official-m2-schematic-left_channel-jpg

I traced the flat box on the mu-metal sheet using a thin-tipped Sharpie. I cut the metal using metal snips. I then folded it using a piece of scrap 1/2" square aluminum profile. With a hammer and the scrap aluminum, I made the corners on the sides square. I decided to leave the top corners slightly rounded, but you can use the hammer and scrap to make them square also.

for 6: nuttin' - just toss them in without source resistors

for 10: nuttin' - just toss them in with , say, 15R source resistors

Change to 6 mA Idss matched LSK | LSJ buffer jfets without 10R's.
Get resistors is more critical in front end gain stage but less in buffer ?
Councils thoughts about eventual parameters of the buffer to take care
and his source resistors influence?

Attachments

• 72A1A94A-2572-4B2E-8FA9-3B4C78981C7F.JPG
    72A1A94A-2572-4B2E-8FA9-3B4C78981C7F.JPG
    775.7 KB · Views: 541
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, it has to be grounded. In the picture you can see a short piece of green wire below the mu-metal box. It connects the box to the nearest screw holding the PCB to the standoff. And yes, the shield does work.

I didn't ground mine (which was made of copper) but it still works. That's not to say it wouldn't work better if I grounded it though.

Copper will act like a Faraday cage (electric field shielding), but it won't shield anything from a magnetic field.

Copper has a permeability roughly the same as air (~1). Steels are in the hundreds (some getting up to a thousand or so). Mu-metal is in the 10s of thousands.

Grounding will drain off the charge on the surface of a Faraday cage, but the inner and outer surfaces will have opposite charges making them cancel inside the cage anyway. I don't think grounding does anything at all for magnetic shielding.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Absolutely: mitigate at the source with power transformer design/shielding, don't oversize the transformer VA beyond reason, rotate the transformer to find the minimum lobe, maximize layout distance and/or separate enclosure....then worry about the little Edcor with copper flux bands and/or Mu metal enclosure.

BK

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Copper will act like a Faraday cage (electric field shielding), but it won't shield anything from a magnetic field.

Copper has a permeability roughly the same as air (~1). Steels are in the hundreds (some getting up to a thousand or so). Mu-metal is in the 10s of thousands.

Grounding will drain off the charge on the surface of a Faraday cage, but the inner and outer surfaces will have opposite charges making them cancel inside the cage anyway. I don't think grounding does anything at all for magnetic shielding.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Perhaps I should say instead "my amp is quiet", which may or may not be thanks to my nifty little copper boxes.