• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Official GB for DSD DAC Signalyst DSCv2

Question: If i remember well some of you were (still) trying the Amanero-Hermes-Cronus/rhea boards with the dsc252. What are your experiences this far with regard to sound quality improvements? Which clocks are supposed to be the better choice? And is it a straight forward implementation between the 3 boards and with the dsc252 or is it more complicated?

I saw the cronus boards are back in stock now.

Last edited:
why do you want to use the bbb? As a NAA? Isn't a direct connection, from the hq-player pc usb output to the dsd dac, (much) better?

I have a quite powerful computer with 600-650W consumption at full load. It's a must to handle all HQP filters at DSD512. But USB power and signal lines became very noisy. Direct connection PC USB output to DSC leads to a very "dirty" sound. That's why I need to use NAA.

I used NUC with Core I3 as NAA, but some time ago decided to try different SoC (BBB, RPI, Odroid C2). My configuration: server with Roon Core + HQP -- NAA -- Amanero -- DSC.

BBB is not capable to work at DSD512.
RPI can, but sounds worse than NUC (my subjective opinion).
Odriod C2 as NAA souds much better then NUC with power consumption only a few watts.

BBB with Botic driver (kernel) can supply Native DSD512 via I2S. After isolator/recklocker (Cronus+Hermes or McFIFO) we can have perfect I2S stream at DSC input with MUTE and DSD_ON signals (no pops) w/o using USB-I2S interface.
I hope that this will give much better result then Advanced Amanero.

Question: If i remember well some of you were (still) trying the Amanero-Hermes-Cronus/rhea boards with the dsc252. What are your experiences this far with regard to sound quality improvements? Which clocks are supposed to be the better choice? And is it a straight forward implementation between the 3 boards and with the dsc252 or is it more complicated?
I saw the cronus boards are back in stock now.

I decided to try isolator/reclocker with BBB after very positive feedback from luchoh. And yes, initially I wanted to buy Hermes-Cronus-Rhea, but they back in stock only today :). After some consideration, I bought McFIFO + McDualXO + Crystek CCHD957 clocks (45.1584 MHz and 49.1520 MHz pair) two weeks ago.
I hope for a good result, but need some time for testing and comparison with my Advanced Amanero (Crystek 24.5760 MHz + 22.5792 MHz pair).

As for clocks - Ian (iancanada) highly recommends Pulsar Clock (90.3168 MHz + 98.3040 MHz pair, ~400 euro each). Quite expensive :).
From his point of view CCHD957 is a "good choice at a reasonable price".

Vit, Thanks for your well written summaries above and insights/experiences! Very helpful! I am looking forward to hear your opinion about the 'iancanada' route.

How about progress at Luchoc's and Nautibuoy's? Are you 'innovators' still working on the BBB --> hermes-Cronus/Rhea route ? or did you also try the PC--> amanero-hermes-Cronus/Rhea route ? or any other?

What about using UltraCap LPS-1 along with ISO Regen for USB?

I'm using Roon audio with DSD 256 resampling for now but intend adding HQP for the resampling part for Roon later on. I'm using a Windows 2016 server with dual Xeon 8 core, 16 threads each, should be sufficient for anything...

For now, can anyone tell me which setting would be best to use since I'm clueless about these settings? "**" is what I'm currently using but don't know what it does for processing but it does sound really good.

Sample Rate Conversion Filer:
Precise - Linear Phase**
Precise - Minimum Phase
Smooth - Linear Phase
Smooth - Minimum Phase

DSD Processing Settings:
5th Order
7th Order
5th Order (CLANS)
7th Order (CLANS)**

Did anyone compared the Roon DSD reults with HQP? If yes, is it as good, better, much better?

Thanks
Do

I decided to try isolator/reclocker with BBB after very positive feedback from luchoh. And yes, initially I wanted to buy Hermes-Cronus-Rhea, but they back in stock only today :). After some consideration, I bought McFIFO + McDualXO + Crystek CCHD957 clocks (45.1584 MHz and 49.1520 MHz pair) two weeks ago.
I hope for a good result, but need some time for testing and comparison with my Advanced Amanero (Crystek 24.5760 MHz + 22.5792 MHz pair).

As for clocks - Ian (iancanada) highly recommends Pulsar Clock (90.3168 MHz + 98.3040 MHz pair, ~400 euro each). Quite expensive :).

I'm your fan!:cheers:

Those are filter and modulator choices.

What about using UltraCap LPS-1 along with ISO Regen for USB?

I'm using Roon audio with DSD 256 resampling for now but intend adding HQP for the resampling part for Roon later on. I'm using a Windows 2016 server with dual Xeon 8 core, 16 threads each, should be sufficient for anything...

For now, can anyone tell me which setting would be best to use since I'm clueless about these settings? "**" is what I'm currently using but don't know what it does for processing but it does sound really good.

Sample Rate Conversion Filer:
Precise - Linear Phase**
Precise - Minimum Phase
Smooth - Linear Phase
Smooth - Minimum Phase

DSD Processing Settings:
5th Order
7th Order
5th Order (CLANS)
7th Order (CLANS)**

Did anyone compared the Roon DSD reults with HQP? If yes, is it as good, better, much better?

Thanks
Do[/QU

The results of those choices are going to be subjective, as there is no "right" way to do digital filtering and modulation, they are choices. You will have to listen to find your favorite results.

Minimum Phase: results in no pre-ringing but additional post ringing.
Linear Phase: results in equal pre and post ringing (symmetrical)
Precise: results in a steep filter slope which has more ringing, but little or no alias products.
Smooth: results in a slower rolloff filter, which has less overall ringing, but more alias products.

Higher order modulators are usually better, but will require more computer power, I am not sure what CLANS is, some type of modulator approach, anyone?

Thanks for reply Vit, can I please request some minor clarification?

Hi, Hazard.
1. Pinouts of DIYINHK board and DSC board are different, so you have to wire DSD_CLK, D1, D2, DSD_ON, 3,3V and GND manually.

Pinout DIYINHK board for DSD: LRCK= DSD D1(Left channel), DATA= DSD D2(right channel), BCK = DSD Clock.

I am familar with pinout for DIYINHK board and know how to connect DSD left, DSD right, DSD clock to DSC 2.5 board. But - what do I connect to the DSD_ON pin on DSC 2.5 board?

Isolated DIYINHK USB interface works perfectly stable at DSD512, but, unfortunately, it has no MUTE signal. So you have huge pop at the begining of DSD playback. It's very annoying.
I do not know if it's possible to implement MUTE based on DSD_ON. I doubt it.
And yes, it's a simple switch. MUTE = High, DSC is muted; MUTE = Low - DSC is unmuted. But you need Mute HIGH a bit earlier then DSD_ON at DIYINHK board to avoid pops.
I think, the easiest way is ask DIYINHK to modify firmware.
MUTE = High - DSC is muted - does high mean applying 3.3V to MUTE pin on DSC 2.5?
MUTE = Low - DSC is unmuted - does this mean grounded MUTE pin on DSC 2.5? Or leaving it open?

Thanks, Hazard

Last edited:
But - what do I connect to the DSD_ON pin on DSC 2.5 board?
You have DSDON pin on XMOS board (on my own it is). Connect it to PIN 7 on DSC 2.5 (DSD_ON), have a look at page 4 of User Gude for pinout details.

MUTE = High - DSC is muted - does high mean applying 3.3V to MUTE pin on DSC 2.5?
MUTE = Low - DSC is unmuted - does this mean grounded MUTE pin on DSC 2.5? Or leaving it open?
Yes - High ~ 3.3V, Low ~ 0V.
As for MUTE - the easiest way is to leave it open. But you can ground it too.

Vit,

Looking forward to your test. Can I ask a favor to document the various connections from McFIFO/MCDualXO setup. If that setup works well I would like to go that route and avoid USB completely.

You have DSDON pin on XMOS board (on my own it is). Connect it to PIN 7 on DSC 2.5 (DSD_ON), have a look at page 4 of User Gude for pinout details.

Yes - High ~ 3.3V, Low ~ 0V.
As for MUTE - the easiest way is to leave it open. But you can ground it too.
Ha ha In feel a bit silly. I have had 3 iterations of the DIYINHK USB board over the last few years, starting with their DSD128 board. As I don't need the DSD_ON signal for my DAC I don't use this pin and didn't realise it was there. Thanks for the tip! Funnily enough, my 2nd USB board (DSD256) actually has a mute pin - don't know why the new DSD512 board has omitted this pin.

Question for you, since our DAC is never going to receive PCM it shouldn't need a DSD_ON signal - couldn't we just connect the DSD_ON pin, on DSC 2.5, directly to 3.3V supply? Not that this is any easier.

Question for you, since our DAC is never going to receive PCM it shouldn't need a DSD_ON signal - couldn't we just connect the DSD_ON pin, on DSC 2.5, directly to 3.3V supply? Not that this is any easier.
I cant recommend it.
My Isolated XMOS 768kHz interface w/o input DSD signal switches to PCM 96K (DSD_ON = 0). So you will have LRCK, DATA (PCM zero signal) at D1, D2 input pins of DSC.
Then, if you wire DSC's DSD_ON to 3.3V you may have a loud pop at the moment of switching DSD-PCM every time you stop play.

In any case, without MUTE you will have loud pop at the beginning of track, so I'd recommend to use your board with MUTE pin. In this case you can wire DSD_ON on DSC to 3.3V, MUTE to MUTE on DSC.

Last edited:
Hello PPY tks for the help but how do you did the math???
You can use any online calculator. For example: https://www.digikey.com/en/resource...rsion-calculator-parallel-and-series-resistor
You need to get a total resistance of 5K6-6K2.
i´m asking because i would like to test on other amps too...
did anyone test sowter 3603 600:600 transformers???
i have one pair and i could test it. it is ok to use 600:600 instead of the 10k:10k stock ones?
The load resistance is selected individually for each type of transformer using an oscilloscope. I can not say what resistance should be for other transformers. In some cases, additional resistance is not required. Usually this is written in the datasheet.