• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

nuvistor MC step up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Strictly Tubes...almost.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Maybe not but I can't help but wonder what this circuit would sound like with a really high gm tube such as the 6C45-P replacing the frontend....

With a Req 100R it has all the potential to come close to the 2SK170BL as far as noise goes, besides tube noise is far less obtrusive to my ears_if at all audible_ than semi-conductor noise.

Then of course there's always MC HAMMER if you're looking for an add-on headamp.
It's dead quiet, can take just about any MC, uses ordinary parts, looks deceptively simple and does not have the word "microphony" in its vocabulary....
All it needs to shine are two pairs of tightly selected 6922s, two matched low noise CCSs and you're done.

Cheers, ;)

Would it be a better choice to subtitute the 6922 with the 6H30P,in term of quality and noise?

there are some realy good nuvistors out there, but they are hard to find. one of them is russian 6Н62Н (6n62n), almost 100% like 6Н9С (6n9s, 6SL7). though really trong constuction - not micraphonic at all. this tube is used in several tube tape players/recorders what USSR made in end of 60's. I got only one of then and think to make a small tube guitar drive fx for my setup.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Ansius said:
there are some realy good nuvistors out there, but they are hard to find. one of them is russian 662 (6n62n), almost 100% like 69! (6n9s, 6SL7). though really trong constuction - not micraphonic at all. this tube is used in several tube tape players/recorders what USSR made in end of 60's. I got only one of then and think to make a small tube guitar drive fx for my setup.

Hi,

They were hard to find 20 years ago and without the right type of socket they'd still be pretty useless if you ask me....

Ciao, ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The main issue you'll need to be really careful about is the layout of the circuit.
As most headamps RF can be a PITA to keep out.
I recommend hardwiring so you can dress the wire harnesses for least noise and best channel separation.
For as long as the PT windings are properly isolated from eachother it's O.K to use a single xformer.
As for the ECC88's or 6N23P, both should work fine. Select them for low noise and pick whichever suits the blance of your system best.
Also make sure the CCS FETS are matched for noise and current.
They're quite sensitive to soldering iron abuse so take care not to overheat them.

Cheers, ;)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,

Maybe not but I can't help but wonder what this circuit would sound like with a really high gm tube such as the 6C45-P replacing the frontend....

With a Req 100R it has all the potential to come close to the 2SK170BL as far as noise goes, besides tube noise is far less obtrusive to my ears_if at all audible_ than semi-conductor noise.

Then of course there's always MC HAMMER if you're looking for an add-on headamp.
It's dead quiet, can take just about any MC, uses ordinary parts, looks deceptively simple and does not have the word "microphony" in its vocabulary....
All it needs to shine are two pairs of tightly selected 6922s, two matched low noise CCSs and you're done.

Cheers, ;)

Hi Frank,

Gain?
Equivalent or substitute transistors for CCS: BF244A & MPSA14?

TIA & Greetings
Felipe

Attachments

• mc-tube 6922-ECC88 headamp.gif
    mc-tube 6922-ECC88 headamp.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Gain is roughly 20dB IIRC. It matched well with my preamp which used 1 x ECC83 per channel + a CF with only a tiny insertion loss (0.98, I think).

MPSA14 is used as a cap multiplier and should still be available. BF244A has been succeeded by BF245A (different pin out but of no consequence here).

The 78xx voltages regs are bolted to the chassis which doubles as a heatsink which is why the ground leads (central lead) have been clipped off.

MCs I used were Jan Allaerts MC One Boron (o.5 mV), Koetsu Rosewood, Talisman Alchemist IIIS (?), AT OC9 an OC7.
No problem whatsoever, no noise, just music.:)

The PSU could be revised but I wanted this to fit in a small box so it could be put close to the TT. It works great as is anyhow.

Should you need even lower noise then I'd recommend E188CC (or Cca) and a set of ultra deep pockets.....:D

Fins despres, ;)

Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Much to my surprise the BF245A is obsolete as well.
Langrex UK still carry some stock of BF244A though.

Another option would be to pick a constant current diode such as the CR range from Vishay.
For the BF24xA VdS is 30V Max, Idss is 2 to 6.5mA Max.

Anyone know a good substitute for this BF245A J-Fet?

Ciao, ;)

Langrex: Stocklist semi-conductors on the left hand side:

http://http://www.langrex.co.uk/stocklist.html

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,

Gain is roughly 20dB IIRC. It matched well with my preamp which used 1 x ECC83 per channel + a CF with only a tiny insertion loss (0.98, I think).

MPSA14 is used as a cap multiplier and should still be available. BF244A has been succeeded by BF245A (different pin out but of no consequence here).

The 78xx voltages regs are bolted to the chassis which doubles as a heatsink which is why the ground leads (central lead) have been clipped off.

MCs I used were Jan Allaerts MC One Boron (o.5 mV), Koetsu Rosewood, Talisman Alchemist IIIS (?), AT OC9 an OC7.
No problem whatsoever, no noise, just music.:)

The PSU could be revised but I wanted this to fit in a small box so it could be put close to the TT. It works great as is anyhow.

Should you need even lower noise then I'd recommend E188CC (or Cca) and a set of ultra deep pockets.....:D

Fins despres, ;)

I guess gain is enough because I want to use with the Valve Itch old version 43dBs http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/140635-valve-itch-phono.html my cart is a modified Denon Dl103R without body but with brass isolator between the arm and the cart, the cart output is nominal 0.25mV.

Can be MPSA13G an equivalent Compre Transistores Darlington Transistor Darlington, MPSA13G, NPN 0.5A, 30V, HFE:5000, TO-92, 3 pines ON Semiconductor MPSA13G en RS Online y lo recibir en 24 horas.?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,

Much to my surprise the BF245A is obsolete as well.
Langrex UK still carry some stock of BF244A though.

Another option would be to pick a constant current diode such as the CR range from Vishay.
For the BF24xA VdS is 30V Max, Idss is 2 to 6.5mA Max.

Anyone know a good substitute for this BF245A J-Fet?

Ciao, ;)

Langrex: Stocklist semi-conductors on the left hand side:

http://http://www.langrex.co.uk/stocklist.html

I can get BF245A :) Compre Transistores MOSFET N-channel JFET,BF245A 2mA 30V,BP ON Semiconductor BS170G en RS Online y lo recibir en 24 horas.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I can get BF245A Compre Transistores MOSFET N-channel JFET,BF245A 2mA 30V,BP ON Semiconductor BS170G en RS Online y lo recibir en 24 horas.

That's great.:)
Would you mind buying some for me, say 100 if the prices are what I saw on their site?
We'll deal with the rest through PM if that's OK with you.

Thanks, good find.:cool:

Ciao, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.