Northwest DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SuppersReady said:
Dave, I take it you're a man of many cats, or just one very furry one?

A friend asked how many cats. I said i wasn't sure. Then he said how many named cats. I got to 10 before i ran out. Since then we have named another. Penelope (aka Penny). The big one is Ullyses (vet suggest his dad may have been a cougar :) )

dave

Attachments

• penny-ullie.jpg
    penny-ullie.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 259
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
These are 3 of the speakers from Room 1, i would have liked to have had time to listen to in Room 3. An MTM using a 4" TB similar to the 3" in the Elf (this showed some promise in the HT room). Not quite sorted yet thou. The "experiments in finishing" MCM + tweeter that Duane commented on, and a GR Research (i believe) kit with a ribbon and an M130 midbass. Talk is that an Eton will be subbed in. It should sound good (it better for a grand each Canadian -- not how i'd spend that kind of money, but i believe this is for a kit with everthing including knock down boxes -- Al?).

dave

Attachments

• 3-amigos.jpg
    3-amigos.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 234
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
RAW said:
-MCM 1855-480 MT Surprise speaker.
-TMWW 3 way using the Silver Flute ribbon,Quart mid,and 2 MCM 1860 drivers.
-MB1 with the old driver as used in the CSS MT.

These are the only 3 i haven't commented on. Keep in mind that there was a lot of electronics coloration & grit to try to listen thru and that no two were played using the same songs, so these comments are at best gut impressions.

The 1st 2 i think suffered from too much cross-over. Both were kind of congested sounding. I've built a speaker with the little MCM -- the toobz -- and i know they can do better than heard here. On the toobz i damped the cone to give it a smooth natural roll-off and only had a 2nd order XO on the tweeter.

The 3rd one... well to tell you the truth is was not memorable, as in i can't really remember any impression of it.

dave

CSS Criterion

The CSS Criterion as listened to on Saturday was a prototype with the ARG2 ribbon and the GR Research M130 woofer. This was the original plan but we've changed to the ETON 5", which, though more expensive, matches the ribbon better. The series crossover uses foil inductors, Sonicaps, Mills resistors, and the kit (C$1329 a pair) includes high quality binding posts, etc., everything but the cabinets. These are knock down flat packs at $80 each. Custom assembly and finishing is available from Al at RAW Acoustics.

Regards
Bob

CAT5

RAW said:
The last ones I made I sent to a friend I meet in Brighton England.
We had talked for 5 yrs on line and i made him some.
Well now he is hooked on them.

Look at Gomers page.You can try his method, but all point taken.I can spin them faster than the method he uses.
And way less pain.

http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html
This is just a sample of info on the Cat 5

let's not forget what this cable is designed for - computer network premise wiring the technical requirements are basically for extended frequency response( unless you don't consider major fractions of GIGA-hertz to be extended) with constant impedance. ( L/C/R impedance is more significant at 500MHz than DCR)

check out the following,

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/oddsends/drabittX/cat5.html
http://bwccat.belden.com/cgi-bin/nc.../report?P1=1590A&P2=Multi-Conductor&P3=Paired

Has anyone experimented with CAT6 ? ( as in 600MHz)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Capacitance query.

SuppersReady said:
I seem to remember reading something about Naim amps not liking capacitance in the speaker cables. Is this right? I'm using NAP160s.

NAIMs don't have output Zobels so require a certain amount of indictance in the speaker wire. If you use something exotic with low L & high C you can easily let the smoke out.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And the rest of the prize winners

Eric Herman (herm)/Puyallup, WA/speaker grills, Chris Bobiak (chrisb)/Victoria, BC/bag o' port tubes, Duane Poettcker (dp)/Vancouver, BC and Frank McCrea/Victoria, BC got Parts Express Deluxe Vinyl Warp, Sean Boyd (seangoesbonk)/Vancouver, BC/bi-wire terminal cups, Rick Chwiendacz (ThingyNess)/Coquitlam, BC/terminal cups, and Parts Express T-Shirts went to Jesse Coleman/North Vancouver, BC, Franz Meynert/Delta, BC, mystery man, Harry Rahiman/Ladner, BC, Mark Soltow/Seattle, WA

(and now you have some faces to go with some of those names)

dave

Attachments

• bobie-prizes.jpg
    bobie-prizes.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 306
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The last picture...

But certainly not of least importance. Tery Olson (Seattle i believe) brought with him a 9 step Radio Shack 40-987 transformer attenuator which we hooked up for use as a "passive pre" between the CD player and power amp in the Frugal-phile(tm) front end i brought*. A little limited in ultimate level control (i guess you could gang 2 of them for an 81 step attenuator), this thing none the less sounded more dynamic and cleaner than the pre in the NAD. At $30 USD for a stereo unit well worth getting to play with.

* this front end consisted of a Lux CD player ($10 CAD garage sale item) and an NAD 7020. These along with the Frugal-phile(tm) Mk IIs comprised a less than $200 CAD (~$130 USD) CD/FM stero system. And one that you could listen too (IMO it handily ate up & spit out the front end in room 1 -- a couple people asked what was playing expecting it to be Chris' Jolida/Jolida set-up (it wasn't that good))

dave

Attachments

• terry-attenuator.jpg
    terry-attenuator.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 306
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.