No more aching back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This week I've been putting a lot of hours in my amp project, resulting in an aching back :bawling:

So, I came up with a simple solution, to working on amps that are a little too heavy to lift.
The boards takes 100kg+, should do for most of us :D

Ok, the amp has to stay on the floor, but still, it's possible to move it:smash:

Magura :)

Attachments

• pict0590scl.jpg
    pict0590scl.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,684
Oh, by the way, I purchased a power coil winder off eBay last week. That should end the upper body strain/contortions I go through to wind chokes for my amplifiers.

While my coils aren't nearly as huge an Magura's I hope the winder lives up to my expectations. :hbeat:

I've been scouring all the You-tube videos on coil winders. This will be a first for me...

Any suggestions on the best coil winding techniques? :)

Oh, and that amp I'm building is only 1 watt per channel...:D That's what I call art!

Magura said:

John's discman, when held by John :D

Funny!!! HHaaaaaaaaa........ :D :D :D

The first watt is the most important watt an amplifier can make, or so they say.

I agree. I drive an open baffle line array and it generates plenty of acoustical power.

If I use larger conductors, I'm currently using a pair of 11 AWG wires in parallel, then I can get more voltage swing without overheating the choke. The choke currently idles at 90C.

carpenter said:

Oooooooooooh... educate me. I'm using powdered iron E cores. Do you just epoxy an aluminum heat sink to the core? BYW, the wire is 40C hotter than the core... weird. Of course, that's only after 2 hours of play time. 8 hours may heat the core to match the wire.

Something isn't right, when things gets that hot.

May I repeat: air core!

Can't help you with iron core stuff, too many unknowns.

Magura said:

Something isn't right, when things gets that hot.

May I repeat: air core!

Can't help you with iron core stuff, too many unknowns.

Lots of amperage (around 8 amps per leg) and the 0.4 ohm choke windings generate plenty of heat. I'm only running 8 volts through the system. 3.2v is consumed by the choke. We're talking about 50 watts. That's enough to make a transistor/heat sink sizzle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.