No more aching back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We were arguing over our agenda. One of me wants to work on the amplifier, but it's so damned hot. Another part wants food, and yet another wants to watch "So you think you can dance". I'm wrestling with the part that wants to think about the remodeling project I've begun for a customer, "and don't forget about me" says the voice that wants to work on the novel I'm writing...

Yeah, nonstop arguments. ;)

I think only 2 is almost as crazy as those of us in the asylum. Positive is one thing, but realistic is another;)

It is kind of funny when I try and tell people about my home built stereo. They look at me like I have 3 heads. Those that I can get to listen to it don't look at me so funny, instead they sit with their mouth open and say "Wow". That's better, now who is crazy? Me or my brother in law who has a $50,000 setup that sounds no better than mine?

I used to buy into the whole audio jewelery thing of expensive cable and resonance control and the whole lot. Then I built my first amp and found that the circuit and quality parts make more of a difference than some $12000 set of interconnects ever could. Comparing to commercial equipment is not really realistic anymore in my house. The only commercial gear left was either cheap or free. Mix that with every time I return from an audio show, I think, "Wow, people pay that much for stuff that doesn't really sound that good."

Nelson Pass said:
Personally I think it's indicative that DIYers routinely reference
expensive commercial product. After you achieve enlightenment,
such things fall away.

:cool:

The :cool: Oracle is observant!

Very few people have heard a complete system as alluded to by the Oracle: until they do hear such a system and deeply absorb the experience they are unenlightened....once they have this experience in their DNA there is no turning back. What happens at the Audio Fair is irrelevant for evermore. The latest hot multi grand amp in the shop is not even glanced at.

But - it is only natural that DIYers should seek a reference by which to judge their sweat and tears work.
Unfortunately the only available reference for many is the 'best' system on demo at their Audio Shop.

The differences for some between the 'Best in Shop' system and the 'Real Audio' system may not be vast, but for others, to experience the absolute ultimate in audio helps them to realize that they have attained a higher level of existence.

Conversion of the Spiritual type is so often accompanied by an experience of 'light' , which is why a certain designer used lamps as resistors in some of his work.:worship:

(Most of the creators of such sublime systems keep out of the limelight. They will not normally have a stand at Audio Trade Shows. Their equipment is not easily made by production line methods. And the designers usually have a day job to support them!! Their audio work is of the soul)

Most of my friends have seen this, so they have no doubts of my status as an inmate in the asylum. Actually that picture is missing the 36" band saw that recently made its' home in my shop.:)

Attachments

• shop small.jpg
    shop small.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 182
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.